“Good price...”

House L.A. City Hostel
Ranked #14 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Fussen
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Rooms a bit small, no cupboard or any sort of closet in the room. Shared bathrooms, worked out ok, however gentleman put the flipped toilet seat down how disgusting... And people shared bathroom means it is the maids day off. Cleanup after yourselves.
The location could not be beat.. Amazing view of the castle, sadly covered in scaffolding for repairs.. But the area was amazing... Yes I would recommend House LA.. Nice old world charm loved the creaking wood floors

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Suzi S

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed in a private room, 3 people with a double bed and a bunk bed. The house is sweet enough, though old and therefore very creaky as others have said. I liked that it reminded me of my host family's house where i stayed for 6 weeks in Germany. It was a bit far from the station, but really not that bad, and I definitely do not like to walk. The shared bathroom situation was not a problem for us, and the showers were pretty nice compared to other hostels I've been in. The check in was ridiculous as there was a boy there that I am assuming was new or didnt speak English well, though I could've spoken in German and it might not have helped. He was very slow with our check in, and didn't have change and wanted us to pay with credit card which I didn't want to do. it ended up working out but it was a rough beginning. Also we are allergic to down pillows we discovered, but they have others if you ask! Breakfast seemed lame so we didn't buy it, but wifi worked just fine for us. The tour of Neuschwanstein is not worth 11euros a person in my opinion, but we got in free because the website says that students are free, though the ticket seller disagreed at first before letting us in free. There is a lot more walking/stairs than I was prepared for, though I am a bit out of shape. Honestly I thought we spent more time walking up stairwells than in rooms in the castle...Just know this ahead of time!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We went to the wrong Hostel when we arrived in Fussen, by train at 1230 in the night. We ended up having to call (they have a phone for after hours people), we woke up the person waiting for us, who then told us we were are the wrong hostel for dorm style sleeping and had to walk across town to the other one. Rather fustrating, but it happens and there was nothing we could do about it. We stayed in the dorm style room with about ten beds with males and females in it and one bathroom. We crept in because we did not want to wake everyone else up. found two available beds and crashed, Everyone in the morning was gone by the time we woke up (9am) and we never even heard them. Everyone was very respectful of other people. We went down and spoke with the staff, paid for our two nights, then high tailed it to the two castels. Which were great. I highly Recommend touring both castles. Our beds were next to the window and from it we could see the castle during the day and while the had the lights on it during the night.

Room Tip: Budget friendly
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2012

The are no words to describe this place. I'll start with the positives, it's extremely cheap.. Thus, you completely get what you pay for.. When you get there, there's no one to welcome you, you have to call a number and they tell which one is your room.. Once inside we wanted a map and some explanation of where we were. We had to call again, the person guided us over the phone to where the maps were.. The map had no signs at all, so it took us around 20 min to find our location-- it wasn't bad, 10 min walking to downtown.
The worst part came during the night, we were in a 6 bed dorm. The main problem is that the house is extremely old and has wood floors that creak every single time someone walks. In addition, it would be great if the owner bought W-40 and applied it to the doors.. You can't even imagine the noise they made.. Sleeping was definitely a challenge at this place.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Overall, we had no issues with this hotel, but there are a few negatives worth mentioning.

- Shared bathrooms don't seem to be sufficient for the demand. On two mornings and two evenings I had to wait for showers/toilets as they were all full. There was a line (at least three others) in front of me on both mornings.

- The breakfast was white bread rolls (two each) with spreads (jams, cream cheese, nutella), plus juice, and a tea/coffee. For the price I thought this could have been improved, as you can buy rolls and spread from the supermarket for about 2EU. After eating it once, we didn't have breakfast there again.

On the plus side, the rooms were comfortable enough, the hotel offers bike rental, and it is only about a 30min walk to Neuschwanstein castle.

In the breakfast room there is a small fridge for use by guests (but no kitchen facilities). They also have a small TV in there.

The hotel itself is about a 10min walk from the station, and about 5-7min to the centre of town with restaurants and shops.

Everything is closed on Sundays, so keep that in mind.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2011

At first my review sounds bad, but it gets better!
The service was a little aggravating. At the hostel you are instructed to call someone to check in. I was expecting a private bathroom but this wasn't the case. We did have a private room though. The person I talked to on the phone did not really seem sure about my reservation either. The rest of the time we were at this place, it was hit or miss whether or not anyone helpful would be working if we needed anything. However, it was nice that in the end of our stay we paid less than we had expected, because they had not given us a room with a private bathroom.
The room was spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable. It was decorated like a small child's room though...it was colorful I guess but kind of weird.
The location isn't bad! maybe like a seven minute walk from the train station and the main pedestrian area. One block over from the hostel there is a greenway, from which you can see Neuschwanstein!
I thought it was especially awesome that you can easily rent bikes from the hostel for like 8 Euros a day. Bikes are a great way to travel around Fuessen and even over to the castles!
Despite the mix up with the service and room reservations, overall I think this is a very nice place to stay. It's clean, it's not too out of the way, it's in a quiet neighborhood...they don't offer breakfast but there is a bakery nearby. Also, there is free wifi. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShannanigansW
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Well, we are a little confused in making up this review, trying to weigh the positives against the negatives. We were a little disappointed with a few aspects, viz.,
- location: a little far, on foot, from the station, especially after a weary journey
- room view: there were rooms facing the Alps offering great views, but ours was in the basement (as we arrived quite late in the day, i suppose, but somebody has to draw the short straw)
- breakfast: was very frugal, just bread and jam with a boiled egg to boot (at an additional charge too)
But on the positive front:
+ the room was clean and so was the bathroom, albeit shared (one for 3 rooms was the ratio)
+ the hosts were very hospitable and helpful in giving tourist directions to the castles
+ free wifi internet
Overall, probably, a value-for-money deal!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple