“Thoroughly enjoyable dining experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Deutsches Haus

Hotel Deutsches Haus
Ranked #2 of 45 Restaurants in Dinkelsbuhl
Cuisines: German, European, Central European, International
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Using local seasonal produce is central to the creation of this modern German and international cuisine. Nowadays it is imperative to know what you eat and drink, hence we put the greatest emphasis on the quality of our food, thus most of our meat is purchased from local farmers. Being cooked and delivered in an imaginative yet no-nonsense manner it has made dining at The "Deutsches Haus" an experience in its own right. Our ,,Ancient German" restaurant seats 90 guests in three locations. During the summer meals are also served on our spacious terrace opening onto the "wine-market".
Hooksett, New Hampshire
“Thoroughly enjoyable dining experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

Magnificent setting, superior service, delicious food and beverages, what more could you ask for?

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank regattagirl

• Turkish first
Haifa, Israel
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

While 90% percent of our meals on the Romantic Road involved either a sandwich or some kind of sousage, we occasionally indulged in finer dining. The Deutsches Haus's restaurant was one such occation. The local fish dishes are highly reccomended (I tried a very yummy catfish), as well as the local Dunkel beer.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank Tom_Girl84
Hiratsuka Japan
“Beautiful room, poor service, average food at best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

I stayed at the hotel for a night and natuarally tried the highly rated restaurant.

Unfortunately it was a HUGE disappointment. It IS a beautiful room, although hardly subtle, and it is clearly "THE" place for locals to go. It was totally booked the night I was there, even though the hotel itself was basically empty. I saw two large groups of clearly local folks and many walk ins.

The wait staff was horrible. Our waitress was the surliest, most unhelpful waitress I have encountered in all of Germany, and lets all admit Germany is not famous for its friendly wait staff. She was way too busy, which accounts for some of the attitude, but she veritably barked at me when I ordered something on the menu that she was going to have to check if they had even made that day. She clearly did NOT appreciate having to walk to the kitchen to ask. I thought it was just me but I saw the same demeanor repeated with all the guests she waited on. Although smiling is not a pre-requisite to good service, a disgusted frown definitely tends to tarnish one's impression, and this woman had the frown down pat.

No English spoken in the restaurant by the way.

The food was disappointing. Nothing special at all and much less than I was expecting for the price. Rather bland, not well presented, and just plain average. Also the menu is not extensive, and I found it odd that even then some rather common items were not available. The waitress was too busy to tend to the wine, which is no big deal, but again not what I was expecting from such a highly rated establishment in the "superior" rating class.

I think what really sat wrong with me was that from my table I could see the owner’s private table outside the dining room by the front door. The whole time the one waitress and her assistant were trying to take care of 50 customers he was drinking with his personal friends and playing some sort of game. Never once did he even check on the restaurant or kitchen, let alone help. Clearly the owner thinks nothing of the customers or his staff. I guess he figures that he can coast on reputation alone. His attitude alone killed most of the good about the place, at least for me. (Yes I know It was the owner as I had seen him earlier in the day)

It is possible that I was here on a bad day, but that is really no excuse. I don't see how this place has received all 5 star ratings in the past, I really don't.

I cannot recommend this restaurant, except for the decor.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Anrando
West Lafayette, Indiana
“Outstanding! Gorgeous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

We only spent a few hours in passing through, and decided to have a light lunch at the first spot we came to in Dinklesbuhl. This place looked pretty, so we went in and I was overwhelmed at the sheer elegance and beauty of the decor. I mean, I almost felt guilty standing in such a lovely place. It's all paneled in dark wood, and the walls and even the ceilings between the rafters are handpainted with traditional themes. There were alcoves with not-too bright lighting, oriental rugs on the floor, white linen on the tables and real roses as well.

It was only a light lunch consisting of a plate of cream of mushroom soup, along with a cup of tea, but the soup was top-drawer, as was the tea. Excellent, quiet, discreet service. Easily the most beautiful restaurant I've eaten in in three months of traveling in Germany.

2 Thank Eleanor G