“Great Quality German Food at Good Prices” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
New York City, New York
“Great Quality German Food at Good Prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've been to Bauerntanz three times in 2012 and I have never been disappointed. While some German restaurants appear to try to be "like American restaurants" and others are like "exaggerated German theme parks for Americans", Bauerntanz strikes me as more "real German." The atmosphere is warm and comfortable. The food is high quality (the best veal and pork schnitzel we have had all month in Germany) and the prices are quite reasonable. And they are open later than most! Give it a try, it's fun and unassuming.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Leem921

• Greek first
New York City, New York
“Nice for the local color”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Our hotel recommended this restaurant when we asked for a place were the locals eat. We were not disappointed about the local color although the food was only average. I did have an excellent Pilsner beer from a local brewery called "Hesen Brau". It was both bitter and sweet, and delicious.

I started with the Fladelsuppe (pancake noodle soup), but it was like eating a bowl of salty wet pancake, so I was less than impressed. Herr Kramer had the spinach maultaschen which he said was good, but not the best he'd had on the trip. Next, he had the half-schweinhaxen which he said tasted good, but was dry, not the moist flavorful experience he'd had in Munich.

My taffelspitz was as good as any I've ever had (how hard is it to boil beef?) and I had no complaints. We both loved being surrounded by the locals without being segregated to the "American Room" as sometimes happens in more touristy towns.

For those not looking for fine cuisine,or for those looking for an authentic beer garden in Augsburg, this is a fine choice.

• Visited September 2012