“4 or 4.5 stars from me, 3 from my husband so we compromised on 4”
Review of Essigbraetlein

Essigbraetlein
Ranked #48 of 1,255 Restaurants in Nuremberg
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Altstadt - St. Sebald
Reviewed August 7, 2017

The meal started off a bit weak for us, but as it continued, it got better, with a few dishes being so very amazing and delicious. Dessert - fabulous. The extra chocolate course was a delicious and welcome surprise. the atmosphere is a bit stuffy but for an intimate romantic (somewhat expensive) meal, I say yes, go. I would call this more a 1 Michelin star restaurant, instead of 2 stars. I'm not rushing to go back, but I know two friends who are.

1  Thank ErinSings

Reviewed July 4, 2017

I have been here before and I simply love this restaurant. Together with Asador Etxebarri in Spain these two places are for me the best places on the planet. I have been to countless 2 and 3 star restaurants, but I keep coming back to Essigbrätlein and Etxebarri because they continue to impress me every time.

For me the best places are about brilliant ideas, talent, simplicity, hard work, honesty, service and fair prices. Essigbrätlein excels on every front - and several months later I still remember exactly how some dishes tasted.

In particular the "cucumber and tomato" dish stands out. I don't know how it's possible to take so simple ingredients and turn them into such an amazing experience. But Essingbrätlein knows and I can't recommend this place enough. It's not cheap, but you get so much value for money.

Go there, you will not regret it.

2  Thank JVMTDK
Reviewed June 14, 2017

Located very near the pedestrian area in Nürnberg city centre, the Essigbratlein Gewürzküche has a fairly anonymous front door, which hides a wonderful restaurant.

As there were a few of us, we dined in one of the two private rooms on the upper floor, although the main dining room is beautifully presented in period architecture and is full of character.

We decided to have the 7 course taster menu along with suggested wines. The food was terrific - the wines were too much in addition to the amount of food and I wished had just ordered a couple of bottles, rather than having to keep up with a fresh glass each course. My mistake!

The quality of the menu was amazing. Great food, very different each course and certainly one of the finest restaurants I have had the pleasure to visit in the Nürnberg area.

I can thoroughly recommend the Essigbratlein Gewürzküche. Its top class, reasonably priced and with attentive and well informed staff.

1  Thank radw51
Reviewed March 26, 2017 via mobile

Everything about this restaurant was exceptional. The attentive staff, the ambience, even the having to ring the bell to gain entry added to the experience. And then of course the food. It was, quite simply, the best meal I have ever eaten anywhere. The two Michelin-starred menu (there are no choices) was sublime. From the five different amuse-bouche, through two fish courses, to a main of duck and then horseradish (!) ice-cream, the textures and flavours were simply incredible. Coupled with perfectly paired wines, the whole evening was one we shall remember for years to come. A previous reviewer said that this restaurant was worth coming all the way to Nuremberg for, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Reviewed March 17, 2017

Although the fish and meat elements of each course at this intimate two star were sublime, the house speciality is to work magic with vegetables. From the fifteen hour baked beetroot to the under stated "celery with potato", the flavours were sensational. With several amuse bouches preceding the seven course tasting menu, and a brilliantly matched flight of wines to pair each course, there's no shortage of wonderful experiences served throughout a relaxed evening service.

No pricing was displayed on the menus nor on the web site, although you can get an idea from Google. The bill was pretty typical for a two star, perhaps on the high side for the region, but worth every euro for the experience. As non German speaking guests every effort was made to explain the dishes in English and the friendly service was much appreciated.

There are many good hearty eateries in Nuremberg but Essigbraetlein is something different and well worth treating yourself.