“One of the best”

Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Altstadt - St. Sebald
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This was one of the best restaunrants I've seen during our Germany-trip - it was the reason for me to get an account at tripadvisor. Not the cheepest restaurant in town, but definitely one of the best ones. Marvellous!
I'll come back whenever I have the chance to visit Nuremberg again!

1  Thank Toscanello613

Reviewed May 28, 2012

to celebrate a birhtday we went for a meal at the Essigbrätlein. It is almost a family tradition to go there for special celebrations - and again we found that the quality had yet improved (which was hard to imgagine, since the performance has always been outstanding).
Every course left us with a feeling of pure bliss.
A huge "thank you" to the staff and the artist in the kitchen!

3  Thank blauemadeleine
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Sorry Andre, it was not more then a one star Restaurant aiming for more...700 Euros for a 100 Euro Meal..and you did not show your face...even the Pauly Saal has more ambition in Berlin..that is just to let you know I am not a country side pumpkin without any sense ...and the toilets..70's hell..it would be funny if it was not so sad...get a grip please....!

5  Thank AZUKI123
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I make it a required stop to this food Mecca in the little town of Nuremberg everytime I visit. The restaurant occupies an old wine merchants' meeting house dating back to 1550. On your first visit, you'll swear you must be in the wrong place because there are no overbearing signs or cafe tables outside. Just pull the chain for the bell at the door (which in itself is pretty cool) and wait to be greeted and welcomed in to the small restaurant. There is no ala carte menu just a preset, daily menu of 6 courses (or 4 if you choose, but why would you). I HIGHLY recommend the wine paring as the wines in the night we went were paired perfect. This was the only restaurant that I've been to in Germany that paired a Cal Cab (2004 Ridge) with its meal (venison..heavenly). The food is art and the service is impeccable. The chef is known for introducing herbs to foods and for the use of unique ingredients. Our dinner included a puréed lentil with baby onion and heirloom tomatoes in a glittering pool of watermelon broth.....yum. The entire dining experience took 3 hours and honestly, we were surprised how quickly it went. Your taste buds and sense of smell will go places they havent been. Two nights before, I had eaten in Paris at Alaine Ducasse and folks, this experience was more memorable. Make reservations well ahead a the restaurant only sits about 20 to 25.

3  Thank Adkings
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Wow. Food nirvana. Most expensive meal of my life and for me, and for my friend, worth every penny. It can be done less expensivelly if you order just a couple of courses, the full menu is not required, but is wonderful. I had the full menu and wine pairings and still swoon when I think of it. To say the service is flawless is an understatement. It is truly perfect. So here's how it works. You must reserve - I reserved months out, so not sure how far ahead you have to book. There are only about eight tables, and one seating as far as I could tell. You ring a bell to get in and they meet you at the door and take your coat in the hallway. They escort you to your table in the small, quaint dining room, and the feast begins with the amuse bouche. Our night, there were three, and all were artfully presented and creative. All yummy, too. I am a mildly picky eater, but I ate everything except for a brussel sprout offering which my friend happily relieved me of. I have been to other Michelin Starred restaurants, and this is just in keeping with those, but smaller and more charming. Probably more creative, too. I hope to go back one day and relive the experience. Highly recommended for those true food lovers who can afford it. A true gem.