“Best dining experience in Germany”
Review of Essigbraetlein

Essigbraetlein
Ranked #70 of 1,137 Restaurants in Nuremberg
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Altstadt - St. Sebald
Miami, FL
“Best dining experience in Germany”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I make it a required stop to this food Mecca in the little town of Nuremberg everytime I visit. The restaurant occupies an old wine merchants' meeting house dating back to 1550. On your first visit, you'll swear you must be in the wrong place because there are no overbearing signs or cafe tables outside. Just pull the chain for the bell at the door (which in itself is pretty cool) and wait to be greeted and welcomed in to the small restaurant. There is no ala carte menu just a preset, daily menu of 6 courses (or 4 if you choose, but why would you). I HIGHLY recommend the wine paring as the wines in the night we went were paired perfect. This was the only restaurant that I've been to in Germany that paired a Cal Cab (2004 Ridge) with its meal (venison..heavenly). The food is art and the service is impeccable. The chef is known for introducing herbs to foods and for the use of unique ingredients. Our dinner included a puréed lentil with baby onion and heirloom tomatoes in a glittering pool of watermelon broth.....yum. The entire dining experience took 3 hours and honestly, we were surprised how quickly it went. Your taste buds and sense of smell will go places they havent been. Two nights before, I had eaten in Paris at Alaine Ducasse and folks, this experience was more memorable. Make reservations well ahead a the restaurant only sits about 20 to 25.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank Adkings

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Washington, D.C.
“A true five star”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Wow. Food nirvana. Most expensive meal of my life and for me, and for my friend, worth every penny. It can be done less expensivelly if you order just a couple of courses, the full menu is not required, but is wonderful. I had the full menu and wine pairings and still swoon when I think of it. To say the service is flawless is an understatement. It is truly perfect. So here's how it works. You must reserve - I reserved months out, so not sure how far ahead you have to book. There are only about eight tables, and one seating as far as I could tell. You ring a bell to get in and they meet you at the door and take your coat in the hallway. They escort you to your table in the small, quaint dining room, and the feast begins with the amuse bouche. Our night, there were three, and all were artfully presented and creative. All yummy, too. I am a mildly picky eater, but I ate everything except for a brussel sprout offering which my friend happily relieved me of. I have been to other Michelin Starred restaurants, and this is just in keeping with those, but smaller and more charming. Probably more creative, too. I hope to go back one day and relive the experience. Highly recommended for those true food lovers who can afford it. A true gem.

Visited December 2011
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Treasure of a restaurant”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We found this wonderful place thanks to TripAdvisor, and what a find! The menu is set for the evening, with nothing to choose but whether you want 4 or 6 courses. The food was creative and lovingly presented with amazing flavor combinations; the staff was superb; and the atmosphere was charming. This was one of the best places I've ever dined, and quite a surprise. There were no prices, so we had no idea how much it cost; with one bottle of wine, it came in at about 280 euros for two.

• Visited December 2011
London, United Kingdom
“Superb”
Reviewed November 4, 2011

The food was really excellent. Staff spoke great English so booking lunch was no problem at all. Very small and cosy dining room, chef came out and explained the dishes to us which was a nice touch. Would definitely return.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank DWD26
“Great experience”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

it's seems incredible that in high cuisine restaurant in Germany the first opinion You have is elegance, equilibrium, freshness...a particular citation for the pike-perch with radishes, the venison with apricot and chanterelles (one of the best i have ever eaten) and the incredible desert peach with green tomatoes. Good impression for the starting and for the interesting chocolates after the dinner.... by our request tasted only wines of the zone really complex and interesting....price in line with the dinner...

Visited August 2011