“What a Dump”

Lorenz Hotel Zentral
Ranked #82 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Reviewed October 7, 2011

For the first time, I feel misled by the TripAdvisor reviews. I don't think I demand much, particularly of 2-star hotels (for which I have a soft spot), so when some of the reviews of this place said it was great for the price, perfectly-located, and included a generous free breakfast and near-free Internet, I didn't think twice. However as another reviewer put it, I wouldn't go back for free.

PROS:
-Two minute walk to the Lorenzkirche UBahn (U1), square in the middle of the Altstadt
- Cheap Internet with strong and consistent connection (2 euros/24hrs). Though the internet card says 24 hrs, the system only debits the time actually used. As soon as the computer goes to sleep, for example, the clock stops running. Thus, my 24 hr card actually lasted me three nights.
- Very friendly, helpful, and sympathetic primary receptionist (who remains pleasant despite clearly being overworked)
- Good light...albeit from about 4 different overhead and bedside lamps rather than the sun, but still good.
- CHEAP. 49 euro per night.

CONS:
- Rooms are filthy and poorly designed and maintained. Carpets: filthy. Shower: filthy. Even after cleaning: filthy. The bathroom was a nightmare. Dim, dank, and dressed in all the fittings of a 1960s gas station bathroom. The ceiling above the shower was assembled from old aluminum planks and allowed the showerer to see the dusty, grimy pipes just above his/her head. The towels and linens always looked/smelled clean, however the general grime of the place forced me to sleep in my clothes and keep my socks/slippers on the whole time.
- Hot water was slow in coming. One literally had to let the taps run for at least 5-10 minutes before the water would eventually warm. This was the case for both the sink and the shower.
- As has been mentioned, no full-length mirrors, which is the kind of thing you don't realize is going to be a huge inconvenience until you're confronted with it.
- The location in the pedestrian zone is definitely good for access to the UBahn and Altstadt, however it also means some difficulty in managing luggage during peak hours. Not the hotel's fault of course, but it was a pain to walk there with five bags.
- The Reception Desk closes between 12 and 5pm, meaning that you can't check in, check out, etc. between those times. Pain.
- The free breakfast, which usually makes up for all other inconveniences, was woefully disappointing. Brotchen (bread rolls), sliced cheeses and meats with condiments, boiled eggs, cereal, a bowl of apples, and a selection of juices and coffees. One doesn't expect much from a 2-star, but something hot and/or some fruits and vegetables on offer would be appreciated.

All in all, as soon as I arrived I wanted to leave. The 'Super Saver' single room that I originally booked (and which the word 'small' doesn't begin to describe. Stretch your arms out; that's about the width of it) had not been cleaned when I arrived, so the Receptionist kindly put me in an available Double. However as soon as I stepped in, I again wanted to leave. In my opinion, the cheap price and central location is not worth the unease and discomfort that comes with sleeping in a room that feels like it's been the scene of a few grizzly crimes. Better can be found at similar cost.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Nnebulous
There are newer reviews for Lorenz Hotel Zentral

Reviewed September 11, 2011

I am starting to think I have “make things hard on this guy” written somewhere on my forehead. If you have read any of my reviews internet is an absolute must when I travel as I have a business in Asia and in USA and need information at access at all times. Upon checking in the women said you get one hour for free for wireless and I said forget that I will just pay for the unlimited option as I need to have internet. After completing the check in and going up to the room on the 5th floor which was also the highest in a not super busy hotel. The room was tiny and the ceiling was vaulted at a funny angle which makes an already small room smaller and guess what happens when I log on to the internet? The connection is so weak it doesn’t connect. I go to the front desk and tell the same women I can’t connect and she says" oh the connection on the 5th floor isn’t very good" I was blown away with the response! The super bright lady couldn't put together a guy who pays for the unlimited internet actually wants to use the internet. Maybe she just thought I wanted to pay extra for something i wasn't going to use. lol USE YOUR HEAD PEOPLE! She then moves me to a floor where it’s known the internet works and the room also happens to be much bigger and nicer than the room she had put me in in the beginning. Once I got over this stupidity off that incident I go to take a shower and there is NO HOT WATER I was in disbelief but then again who wants a hot shower. Enough said this places blows and although the location is nice it lacks even the most basic of amenities which is warm water to shower. I wouldn’t go back even for free.

Room Tip: Incompentant staff and no hot water!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Buckwildph
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Perfect location in central Nuremberg! The rooms are not spacious, but they are fine for an inner city hotel at this price. No refrigerator in the room, but 2 shrunks, so plenty of storage. The room was clean and new as well. The area is a bit noisy, and on Sunday mornings, the church bells were obnoxious--they went on for about ten minutes at 8 and 10 am, and then again off and on between 10 and 11. The free breakfast was very delicious, and the front desk receptionist was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Booklover555
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I loved this place, and I love Germany as well.
The hotel was really nice, I was satisfied!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2008

The situation and the price of this Hotel is almost the best of it. It is quite cheap and it is 1 min far form the subway, in the center of the city.

But the really best thing of this hotel is its staff. Really kind people who will help you in everything you need.

The buffet breakfast is included and you can use the free wi-fi access. It is a non luxury hotel though.

I will go back again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank odonell
Reviewed January 24, 2008

We agree with the other travellers that the location is great (especially if you are arriving by train) as it is between the train station and the old town and within the town walls. Also, the rooms are basic but adequate and the breakfast is good.

Unfortunately all our travel documents were lost and we had to stay an extra few days to sort this out and file a police report. The hotel staff were not very sympathetic to our dramas but we had no real complaints. But on the last night we woke up at midnight with our room full of smoke which was horrible and really destroyed our sleep and our stay. It was disgusting. And you don't really feel like opening your window when it is -3 C outside! Be warned: the hotel says it has only smoke free rooms. This is true but smoking is permitted on all the floors and so enters your room, under the doors. We booked especially because the rooms were smoke free.

Also, the promised wireless internet seemed like a myth so don't book here if that is what you require.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Magnus94
Reviewed December 10, 2007

Traveling through Germany during December, then you will want to visit Nurnberg. This hotel has a great location in the heart of the altstadt.

Ok, you can't pull up right in front and empty your car, but if you don't mind hauling your stuff a few blocks and then being in the heart of the city, this is a good place.

My wife and 2 year old were in the room, and it was comfortable. Do not expect a fancy shower or bathroom - just the basics here.

But the staff is friendly and the location is great.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family