“Rustic hotel near centre”
Review of Gasthaus Pillhofer

Gasthaus Pillhofer
Ranked #76 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Lincolnshire
“Rustic hotel near centre”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Lovely fresh looking rooms and bathrooms. Restaurant excellent. Not a huge menu but all food was really good. Breakfast nice with usual cold meats and cheeses and offered hot menu aswell.
Great position for shops, Xmas market.
We were not bothered by noise in the street or from the restaurant.
As previously mentioned, the stairs are difficult with big suitcases.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank DacLincolnshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Following the signs for the Altstadt as we left the main railway station we appeared almost at the front door of The Pillhofer Hotel as we emerged from the underground walkway onto Konigstrasse. The welcome at the little reception desk (tucked behind the bar area) was efficient and within minutes we were heading up to our room. (NOTE there is no lift and it is at least three flights of stairs to climb)

The room, whilst compact was very clean with newly installed bathroom and bedroom furniture. Ideal for a couple of nights stay, but if you have loads of luggage it may well be a little difficult to store everything.

The hotel restaurant serves south German food - the meals were very tasty and could be washed down with a wide selection of great beers or a range of wines. The restaurant was very busy, even in the mid week so was pleased to have reserved in advance, although the steady stream of customers may mean you get seated fairly quickly.

The hotels location, on the main street between the railway station and the historic city centre, means you are within minutes of the historic buildings, The main squares and many shopping streets that the city has to offer. Being here in December it was only a matter of yards before we stumbled upon a Gluhwein stall that helped lead us then through to the Christmas market.

Overall I have very positive impressions of The Pillhofer and Nuremburg.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank RealHoltyboy
Portugal
Reviewed January 16, 2012

The hotel has new rooms but too expensive for what You get. There is no elevator, the bath towels are old, there is no shower gel or soap and no shampoo.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Nice Hotel. Good Breakfast. Room was very well down. Front Facing room overlooking the old town was nice. However, the noise, despite double glazing, from street below was so clear I might as well be sleeping on the actual street, right next the the person talking. The Beds were comfortable however.
It stated on Booking.com and I quote "free private parking". This was not the case, and the hotel stated they never have had parking' let along free. I have advised them that we would not have booked them if it was not for the false description. In the end we parked Hotel Victoria car parking, which had a secure underground car parking about 500 yards from the Hotel costing 11 Euros. Had the Parking been as advertised and the double glazing/sound damping actually working, then it might have scored more than average given the good rooms and breakfast itself, but with a terrible hassle parking and a sleepiness night, both together, no matter what other things were good only can rate average at best until both these points are addressed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 13, 2011

This place is great. Situated at one of the old towns tower wall, at the exit to Nurnbergs main train station (no noise from trains), at the start of the King Street, across the road from the Nurnberg Tourist Information office, and above a traditional old Nurnberger restaurant. All rooms are very modern set in a beautiful old building. The staff could not help enough.great price. What more could you possibly want or need.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank dcorrell
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed March 5, 2008

I have stayed there multiple times now (solo and with my family) and can only recommend the Pillhofer highly. Yes, it is quite a task to master all the stairs up to your room, however, everything else offered makes more than up for it.

It can be quite noisy in the surrounding areas because the old town pedestrian zone is right underneath the hotel. So if you are a light sleeper, you might not get a lot of rest.

Overall though, the price is very reasonable for the location and the restaurant fare is outstanding.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 17, 2007

I stayed here for 3 nights in April 2007. Single room with private bathroom.

I had 2 requirements for the hotel:
1) Proximity to the train station; given I was taking 2 daytrips
2) Cheap

I had looked into recommendations by Rick Steves and Fodors, and also looked at listings from the Nürnberg tourism website. The hotels in guidebooks are either too expensive, or no website (I didn't want to bother with calling.)

There was some snafu when I tried to book Pillhofer. It is listed on the Nürnberg tourism website, so I booked it through the website. I got an automatic reply email from the tourism website, but never a confirmation from the hotel.

So, I emailed the hotel directly and reiterated my booking dates. I received a reply, but saying that there are only doubles available. I wrote back and said No Thanks, as I couldn't afford the double. The next day, they emailed back and said the single is available.

I then wrote to ask if they need my CC info to confirm my reservation, and I never heard back from the hotel.

1 week before my trip, I called the hotel to confirm my booking, and it was good.

The rate was €54/night inclu Breakfast.

I was somewhat concerned about the size of a single room. My past experience with European single rooms is that they're tiny. I didn't want to stay in a tiny box for 3 nights.

Anyway, the single room is HUGE. It fits a single bed, a closet, a desk, a chair, a small single sofa, and a small coffee table!

The is quiet as it faces the back. The hotel also provides a free bottle of water every night, which I thought was a very nice touch. There is no elevator in the hotel, and the guest rooms begin on the 3rd floor. There is minimal service, my room was not cleaned during my entire stay except for trash being emptied. The bath towel is the roughest I've ever used. I felt like I was getting an exfoliation treatment everytime I dry myself.

Amenities are at a minimum. There is bath/shower gel; not sure about hairdryer (I don't use one). My room has a full length mirror which is nice.

Overall, the guesthouse is more of a restaurant than a hotel. There is no front desk, and certainly no one to provide maps or sightseeing suggestions.

The location is perfect for me. It is a 1-minute walk to the train station. It is also just across the street from the Tourist Information center (opens 9-7). Inside the TI are 2 computer terminals with internet access (free; 15-minute lockout).

Breakfast spread is limited. There's different kinds of bread rolls and 3-4 kinds of cold cuts. 3-4 kinds of cheese. 1 choice of cereal, and don't think there was yogurt. No hard-boiled eggs.

The hotel seems empty during my stay. I hardly saw any other guests at breakfast.

I would not hesitate to stay there again in the future.

• Liked — Value and location
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo