“Quality Hotel Great Location”

NH Collection Nurnberg City
Ranked #11 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I stayed here when visiting the Christmas markets and found it to be perfect for my needs. It's located just down the road from the train station and a short walk to the old town and the markets.

The room was large and spotlessly clean and the bed huge and very comfortable. The bathroom had a shower over the bath and again was very clean. Slippers and robes are available from housekeeping.

The breakfast was one of the best I have ever had and I'd recommend the hotel just for the breakfast!

The only negative was the lack of wifi in the room. There is 60 minutes of free wifi in the lobby otherwise you can pay for wired internet in the room at 10 euros per day. Watch out though because the upload/download is limited and I hit the limit very quickly because I was uploading photos.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed here for one night in December at the end of a river cruise and before taking the train to Munich. Location was great for our purposes. Easy walking distance (5 minutes) to the train station, and also to a large Tourist Information office. Walking to the main part of Nurnberg, and Xmas markets was about 15 minutes.

The rooms were large, very clean and extremely quiet. Bedding was very comfortable. We heard no noise from the hallway or next door. Our room faced the back and we could open the window for fresh air and still have quiet.

We did not eat breakfast at the hotel. The front desk recommended two cafes for breakfast but it was just as convenient to walk to the train station for fresh juice, coffee and pastries.

The front desk was very helpful to us non-German speakers, providing maps and directions, and restaurant locations. They did ask if we wanted to pay in Euros or dollars at check out, and they handled my request to pay in Euros appropriately.

I highly recommend this hotel for its location for train travel, ease at walking into town and quiet location.

Room Tip: our room was even numbered which may indicate a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2011

The reviews on this hotel were enough to entice us to stay here, but I think they're a bit inflated. Overall, this is a mediocre hotel. The rooms are very modern and generally clean, and the bed was very comfortable. (The reason I give it average marks for sleep quality is that my sleep was interrupted with outside noise several times.) The location is pretty good. It's a short walk from the train station and the old city, and there is a tram stop just a few steps away, though we did not use it. However, the pros end there.

First, the maid did not change any of the bedding, did not clean used drinking glasses, and shorted us on towels. Second, don't stay here with someone you don't know very intimately. The bathrooms have a frosted glass door and wall between the shower and the room. However, they have transparent lines in the glass. If you are showering or using the bathroom, everyone in the room can see you. Kinda weird. Third, internet access is a hassle. There is no Wi-Fi in the rooms. (It is available in the lobby for a price, of course.) They have wired internet in the rooms, but the outlet has no ethernet cable, so you have to bring a wire with you or ask for one from the front desk. I don't expect internet access to be free, but NH is more expensive than average. Fourth, the reception personnel was not necessarily rude, but they were smug, apathetic, and lackadaisical. Basically, they did as little as possible.

If I return to Nuremberg, I'll look for another place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask not to have a room along Bahnhofstrasse. It is very loud.
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Stayed at this hotel from 15 till 20 December. It was our second stay there so everything was familiar and friendly. But we met a couple of problems during our stay. First of all, on our check-in safe in our room happened to be out of order. This problem was settled promptly by the hotel staff. On our check-out the employee at the reception desk asked me in what currency I would have liked to pay - euros or roubles. The currency of my card being euros I naturally answered that I would have liked to pay in euros. Unfortunately - and sure it is nobody's fault but mine - I didn't pay attention to the bill the empoyee had given me. When we had returned to Moscow and had started checking charges on my card we suddenly found out that NH Nuernberg City charged about 46 euros more than it had been due. When we had checked our bill we found out that the hotel charged the amount due in roubles! And the exchange rate was just terrible! So I would still recommend this hotel for anybody who is planning a trip to Nuernberg, but would advise that you pay more attention to your bills, the more so if your card is emitted in a country not belonging to the European Union. This advice may seem unnecessary, but nevertheless pay attention to it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows facing the "patio", not the railroad!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This is your typical NH... That is to say it is clean, comfortable and located conveniently near transportation and within walking distance (albeit a very uninspired urban walk) to downtown sights. That is also to say the hotel itself is not a destination. It is located on a busy street with plenty of traffic all day and all night, including a squeaky tram. It is also located across from the above ground rail lines.
This is not a hotel in which one stays for the view.

However, the hotel staff was very friendly and fluent in English (and willing to put up with my broken Deutsch!), and the rooms were very comfortable.

As we were traveling with our two children, ages 12 and 9, we requested and received adjoining rooms, which worked out very well.

This is a great place to stay for a night or two, but if you're traveling for pleasure, you may want to move on to a more scenic area after that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor facing the courtyard--Not the train yard!
Reviewed December 21, 2011

This is a place which will be immediately familiar to people who know the NH chain - clear modern lines, good quality fittings and a mediterranean touch- apart from this it is close to the main station, the subway and you can reach most historic sites in the old town within a 10 minute walk
which makes this better is the attitude of the staff whci are extremely friendly and helpful despite very high throughput and rapid changes
Recommended

Room Tip: Go fo a non smoking room on the top floor
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Good hotel , very central location , just opposite central railway station, but not of the best even in the NH chain in Germany. Friendly and helpful staff. Rooms are clean , and big, the bed was great.