“Highly recommended - would stay there again without hesitation”

Holiday Inn Nurnberg City Centre
Ranked #12 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
UK, Essex
“Highly recommended - would stay there again without hesitation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

Great Hotel - when we arrived we were upgraded to an apartment which was very spacious - even had its own doorbell! Staff were extremely polite - always greeting you when you walked past. Breakfast was fantastic - could not fault it. Tea, Coffee, cake and croissants in reception all day to help yourself to with no extra charge which was a lovely touch. The restaurant I would also recommend - food although not a great selection, again could not fault, portions were very generous and the price very reasonable. Location was great - very close to the shopping centre but a bit further walk to the christmas market than what I expected which is why I have only rated the location 4. As previous reviews have mentioned, it is by the red light district but it did not cuase any offence or problem for us. Christmas Market was fantastic - one of the best I have been to.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

We stayed at this hotel from 12/22/10 - 12/24/10 with our 3 teenagers. My husband and I had stayed here previously when we came to see the Christmas Markets in 2008. The hotel itself is pristine with an excellent staff. The rooms are modern, roomy, and comfortable. There are computers with printers available on every other floor for guests to use free of charge. Coffee and tea are available in the lobby 24 hrs/day. Breakfast is wonderful with a huge variety of both hot and cold items, freshly prepared and constantly replenished...one of the best we've had in Europe. The best part of staying here is the proximity to the Christmas Markets. In a few short minutes, you'll be in the center of shops, produce markets and all of the Christmas action. We will definitely return!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank allumer1
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2010

Stayed there based on Trip Advisor comments and was happy that we did. Much nicer than what you might expect, very nice and helpful staff, great breakfast, close to everything in the Old City, rooms all updated, an adequate gym, parking.....would defintiely go back again. And yes, there is a small red light district around the corner but has no impact on hotel. Felt completely safe..I would not let this deter you from staying at the hotel.

Sierra Vista, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2010

The hotel is situated in, not near, but in the Red Light District of Nurnberg. No more explanation is needed regarding that other than to say you walk out the doors of the hotel and do not feel at home... Do not bring your family here.

As if that's not enough, I was woken last night at one thirty in the morning to the sound of a piercing alarm, followed by a man's voice over the loudspeaker that happens to be in my room, 'Ladies and Gentlemen, this is an emergency broadcast. Please exit the building immediately. Do not use the elevators and be mindful of other people.' Thus, I left the building wearing nothing but my night clothes and a coat. Keep in mind it is 20 degrees farenheit outside. The fire department and police arrived and searched the building for nearly thirty minutes only to tell us that there is no emergency and that someone merely took a very hot shower for too long, resulting in the steam tripping the smoke detector and setting off the alarm. I asked about it in the morning and all I received was an 'I'm very sorry.'

The reason I chose to stay at a 'four-star hotel' was so that I could sleep comfortably and did not have to deal with situations like this. The staff, although cordial, offered no compensation whatsoever for the dreadful night. That, from a multinational hotel chain, in my opinion is unacceptable. Grossly unacceptable.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
12 Thank CRANK13
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2010

We have just returned from a three night stay at the Holiday Inn whilst visiting the city for the Christmas Celebrations/Market etc.
The hotel was booked last January because we had realised that during the Christmas Market period all the Hotels in the city would be fully booked.
We arrived early at the Hotel and were not suprised to be told that our room was not ready yet. We left our luggage in a locked room and went walkabout.
We returned mid afternoon and went to our room. We asked at reception for our bags to be bought up. After 20 mins had passed I called reception to be told that they had expected me to bring the bags--some mis-communication there!! After another few minutes had passed a girl from reception had delivered our bags--they were heavy and not something a young woman should be asked to do. I asked where the bell boys were and she just raised her eyes. A couple of small issues in the room that we mentioned were sorted out without any fuss.
We had noticed that a number of large German companies were at the hotel for conferences etc--one day we returned to the hotel and discovered that the foyer had been transformed into what could only be described as a scene from Emergency Ward 10--hospital equipment salesmen had set out their wares--it was quite bizare. We were beginning to realise that the business community were the main focus of attention for the hotel.
We always take our netbook to keep in touch with emails etc. The Hotel offered web connection in the bedrooms at 8euros per hour, obviously catching the business traveller who of course could claim expenses, but it was well advertised that connection to the web was free in the reception/foyer area. When I asked the reception for the web password I was told I could have the info but I must give my credit card over. I queried this and was informed that the free web connection had been withdrawn for a period of time. I can only deduce from this that the Hotel had decided to milk the vast amount of business trevellers there at the time for all they could. I was not happy!!
But after all matters taken into accout this is clearly a good hotel, but one where the emphasis of service was clearly skewed to the business community. The staff seemed hard pressed and the overall impression was that they were struggling slightly.
The room we had was large and had a view over rooftops--it snowed whilst we were there and the view was very pretty. Good supply of bathroom toiletries and fresh towels. Tea and coffee making facilities were always kept refreshed--we had to ask for English breakfast tea--but a good effort from housekeeping.
I use the Holiday Inn group for a lot of my travel--would I use this one again?--probably not.

dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

Good location, walking distance to most sights and shopping. Friendly staff, comfortable clean rooms and good value for money. Breakfast buffet is well worth the €15 with lots of tasty options. Internet access with printers, softdrinks in room & coffee in reception were all complimentary - a very nice touch. The only negative was that the beds are not as comfortable as other hotels and need to be upgraded

Red light district is very near the hotel but easy to avoid and should not deter you from staying here.

Waverly, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2010

We got a great rate (via the FlyerTalk website) for two rooms at this hotel at the start of Nuremberg's famous Christmas markets. Breakfast was not included but there is a good buffet for only 15 euros per person, and children staying with parents are not charged. Priority Club members get a newspaper, and can check out as late as 1400. The hotel is within the old stone walls and 15 minutes walk to the heart of the Christmas markets, many old churches, Railroad museum, etc. It is also a short U-bahn ride to the main train station. The one caveat about the location is that it is near the "red-light" district, but this presented no problem at all to the ordinary tourist. The rooms in the "apartment" wing were large and had well-stocked kitchenettes. The hotel is not luxurious but it is solid Holiday Inn value.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family