“Nice Hotel very modern with very nice Bar and Breakfast”

Holiday Inn Nurnberg City Centre
Ranked #13 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This hotel although in the same block as the Red Light district is worth your stay. There is never a threat and little is seen unless you make an attempt to do so. The hotel is convienent to great shopping, food and beverage establishments and within 15 minutes of several historical buildings. In the walled city you can walk the entire city and save the cost of public transportation. Would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 28, 2012

As business traveller I didn’t like to return to this hotel. Nevertheless after 1 ½ years I thought to give a last chance to this location.
Negative. Also the very last stay I had to regret.
On check-in I didn’t feel that I was really welcomed or only a disturbing factor. The front desk personnel Ms. Heimerl also ignored my friendly complaints for non-granting any benefit for Priority Platinums, no welcome gift, welcome drink, nothing.
25.000 points for a rewards night stay is too much for this hotel compared to other hotels who are also asking for 25.000 points!
If you ask for a manager then no one is available. The reception service in the night is outsourced. Without being able to help the guest and answer their questions.
Ms. Heimerl also couldn’t listen to the guests, I said to her I don’t want a room with the pitch of the roof. She said I have a room in 4th floor which is a nice double room.
Arrived there: it was a room with the pitch of the roof. GREAT!
Internet was for free, but this wasn’t working. Even it was spring time there was a personal coldness at the reception that I thought I need winter jacket.
In the morning they didn’t respect the privacy: I put a DND sign on the outside of my room door. Before 12pm housekeeping knocked at the door and walked immediately in and took the DND sign away.
I forgot two shirts in the wardrobe of my room and tried to pick them up when staying in Nuremberg in a better hotel some weeks later. I called the hotel in advance and they confirmed that they found my shirts. I can pick them up any time!
At the first trial there was only the outsourced reception service who didn’t know anything. At the second trial I got a crumpled plastic bag with my crumpled shirts which had been before on hangers in the wardrobe. Nice!
So, one can imagine that I won’t come back neither for business not for leisure.
This Holiday Inn hotel is not a real Holiday Inn. They don’t respect the IHG rules and try get the most profit out of this franchise contract but don’t give anything.
My mingy amount of Priority Rewards Points of 810 pts I got credited only 4 weeks after the stay after two times of query.
The Best Western in Nuremberg is also belonging to this family business…

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank mba4u
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed here 1 night before a 2 week river cruise. The hotel was well located about a 15 minute, very interesting walk, to Old Town. It is very well maintained. The front desk staff was vetry pleasant and helpful and there was always coffee in the lobby. The rooms were large, clean and well appointed. Although we did not have the included buffet breakfast we opted to eat there and it was 5 star breakfast for sure: a huge buffet with omelets to order, so we felt it was worth the money. The front desk was very helpful in getting us a cab to get to the pier as well. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel is located just very close to the walls enclosing the city, perfectly located to reach by feet the downtown in few minutes. It offers large, comfortable rooms at reasonable price. As for the most of the Holiday Inn hotels, breakfast is not included in the room price, and is quite expensive (over 10 Euro). Within few hundreds meter you can find nice bars or bakeries offering a wide choice of food and beverages. WiFi in the room is for free. I would definitely return here !

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed for 2 weeks at Holiday Inn Nürnberg and it has a very good standard, even though I would say it needs to improve their service.

The apartment is very big compared to a standard European hotel room. You have plenty of room to hang all your clothes, what was important to me as long I stayed for a long period. The apartment has also a small kitchen that can be useful to those with children or who wants to prepare their own food.

The bathroom is good and the hotel supplies a complete pack of toiletries, that can even be complemented for free if you ask the reception desk. The water pressure is excellent but you should take care when you open the tap widely to not "flood" the floor.

The restaurant in the ground floor has really good food with part of the menu being changed weekly. The courtesy of the waiters is exceptional and the chef always offers a tasteful and surprising appetizer for free. And, if you like more variety, you have plenty of good restaurants in a 10 minutes walking distance. The breakfast is not included in the price and you should pay 12 euro extra for it. If you have time, you can find better options outside for a lower price.

The only reason to not give a better rating to Holiday Inn Nürnberg is the service I experienced. During my reservation, done two weeks in advance, I clearly stated I would have a late check in. However, when I arrived in the hotel they were overbooked. So I had to go to the Sheraton for just one night. Everything was solved in a reasonable time, but that is the kind of experience you try to avoid after a long travelling day.

When I finally came back to Holiday Inn next evening, I got an apartment where the bathroom has a dirty floor and the mini bar was not working. After changing the room, I noticed the mini bar was not working in the new apartment as well. Finally, on my third apartment (?!?) I was able to get everything in order. Some days after, when I finally thought I would have a peaceful stay, the hotel started a restoration at my floor to change the carpets and this took almost 1 week.

One other small detail: the hotel stays half a block from the red light district. As long as I did not experienced any security issues, this was not a problem for me. But many people would not like the idea.

Finally, I would say Holiday Inn Nürenberg is a hotel with a very good standard and well located, however in need to improve a lot customer experience.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise coming from the street.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Erick A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Nurnberg City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear rickAlves,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the bathroom and the restaurant.

However, I would like to offer a sincere apology regarding the availability confusion. I understand the discomfort this caused you. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed for one night in an appartment (not standard room) and I was very satisfied by the services and the experience. The staff and the facilities are great.
Free wifi access is offered.

There was a confusion with the parking. We thought it was offered for free, but we were asked to pay 12 euro per night.
The breakfast was nothing special and cost 15 euro, so we decided to eat at a nearby coffeteria.

Room Tip: If you stay for more than a couple of nights, ask for an appartment instead of a standard room. It...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is a great place to stay. The hotel is on the fringe of the old city, inside the wall. Its a short walk to the main sites and shopping area. Staff is cordial and knowledgeable. Rooms are comfortable.

Room Tip: Booked on hotel.com
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends