“Merks Motor Museum” 5 of 5 bubbles

Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Merks Motor Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

We had a 2 night stop over on our way to Austria and before we left home I was looking for somewhere to visit as my close friend we were traveling with loves classic cars I thought I could surprise him, thought we would probably only spend a couple of hours here as it looked quite small, but what a great surprise to us all, what a fantastic collection not just cars! the collector was such a pleasure to meet and spent some time with us telling us about some of the cars and where they came from. Time went past quicker than we realised it was so interesting, we were about to leave when he told us about a place just across the road where you could visit for free, owners keep there cars stored and there are workshops were they work on restoration of cars from vintage to super cars after this visit we only had time to get back to hotel for our meal and bed. if you are visiting Nurnberg or just passing you should find time to visit even if you only like looking at old cars!!

Visited July 2014
2 Thank William171951

London, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Merks Motor Museum - Nuremberg”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Merks Motor Museum - Nuremberg 2013

I love car museums. So after doing the sights of Nuremberg I discovered a Car Museum www.merks-motor-museum.de on the outskirts of Nuremberg, no problem with my Nuremberg Card which gives you travel and Free entry to most of Nurembergs attractions. The Klingenhof Strasse U Bahn was 'out in the sticks'. Walking through streets lined with charming houses. Germany is great as all properties Must have a number. When I found the the street, it was just a matter of counting down the numbers. The museum is really an industrial estate building. My heart sank, thinking this would be 2 cars and a dusty garage. But no, when I entered through the clean glass doors, there was a large cafe with the car museum behind through glass windows and I was shown the entry to the museum.

I entered through the gift shop, with lots of Books and Models of cars. The museum was EMPTY. I was like a kid in a candy shop. The day was bright and sunny and the museum gleamed with many cars. There was a room of die cast models, similar to my collection at home but bigger. Then into the first area, cars from 1920's to 1950's. I was able to look through the open windows of the cars to see the interiors. Then to another room full of typewiters, ok
not my scene but most kids wouldn't know what they are. Then a lane of herring boned parked 1950's cars wonderful.

Then through a room of motor cycles. Out into a room of Telephones and Telephone cars and bikes. Really interesting.

Back along another lane of 1960's to today of cars. Thank heaven for digital cameras, I would have needed 10 rolls of film. Then a glass display of die cast models of ww2 cars. Back into the first room and all my favourite cars of the 1920's - 1950's.

There were just 2 men looking after the museum. I think they do school trips. On a bright sunny day in October the place was deserted. Sad but great for me. I don't know how the place is funded but it is a jewel.

Visited October 2013