“Be prepared...”

Book In Advance
More Info
$504.62*
and up
Full Day Private Nuremberg Christmas Market from...
Ranked #6 of 147 things to do in Nuremberg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed December 8, 2014

I am not a fun of museums but this is something different. This museum shows all the history of Germany and a lot more... Be prepared, you will need all the morning hours to see everything. Also, we went there on Wednesday at 6-9 pm it is free.

1  Thank ArgyroAthens
"self portrait"
"german speaking"
"amazing museum"

Reviewed November 13, 2014

If you want to learn more about the rich history of Germany, please visit this wonderfull museum. On the top floor there is a compleet furnished old farmerhouse.

Reviewed November 11, 2014

After the castle and the old town, we have found this museum to be a must visit attraction. It is large and diverse. Chose what you want to see, otherwise you we be overwhelmed and there all day.

The museum is Germany's most important. There is an archialogical collection, works by the most important German painters and sculptors, features on old church interiors, musical instruments, scientific instruments and toys. I should also mention the armour and weapons.

The museum is partly in an old convent.....going back to about 1259. I have made two visits, and may go back again. This is easy to do on Wednesday evenings, with free entry after 6 pm.

I noticed guided tours, but they have been in German. They may be for enthusiasts studying specific areas as tour leaders were spending time at the significant displays.

I had some difficulty finding the museum, but it is easy if approached from Operahouse underground station. Walk straight into the old town, and it is on your left. Outside is the Way of Human Rights, with a row of cylindrical pillars displaying the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in different languages.

Bags are not allowed in, but there are lockers with a refundable fee.

Reviewed November 8, 2014

This very large museum, devoted to German history and culture contains a number of different collections spanning prehistoric times till present day. It's not the kind of museum you visit in one day. I would advise checking out their web site and deciding what's of most interest to you, which is what I did. The audio guide will add to your enjoyment.

One of the collections I found very interesting consisted of Arms and Armour from the Middle ages. The exhibits were well presented, with some of the Armour shown outside of glass cases. I also checked out the 20th Century Collection. I found some of the paintings here interesting, but mostly minor works of 20th Century art. The collection also had some nice furniture pieces.

Getting around the museum isn't easy. I had to ask a few times for directions. The way finding needs to be improved. The friendly staff here though, were a great help in navigating the museum. As I walked around, I couldn't help but feel some of the exhibits were a bit lifeless and in need of a refresh.

I should mention, that I found out later, I could have gotten a discount on my ticket because of visiting the Kaiserburg (Imperial Castle) on the same day. Something to keep in mind.

Germanisches Nationalmuseum has a gift shop and nice cafe. I hope, I have a chance to see more of this museum in the future.

1  Thank StockholmKindaGuy