“Fantastic hotel, Friendly Staff, Great Breakfast!”

Deutscher Kaiser Nuremberg
Ranked #59 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel, Friendly Staff, Great Breakfast!”
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Having read some of the other reviews I wonder if they were staying at the same hotel! The staff are great here and bend over backwards to help. The reception chap actually acted as a translator over my phone to sort out a problem for us.

The location is perfect for the centre of Nuremberg.

The room we stayed in was spacious, clean and well appointed. It had a large TV and a comfortable bed.

The breakfast was great. Buffet style with a massive range from smoked Salmon through a selection of artisan cheeses to crispy bacon and eggs.

If you are staying in this town you should be at this hotel!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
British Columbia
Reviewed December 10, 2007

This hotel has a great location, less than a 5 minute walk from the main station. However, the hotel was wayyy overpriced. Our room was very small with very dirty carpet. I think the fact that it is an old, historical hotel means that they dont do any renovations. The breakfast was okay. The next day we found a hotel 2 blocks away in a better location for half the price and it was much cleaner.
The best thing I can say is that the staff were nice but seriously, this hotel was smelled smokey and was over priced for sure!

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank sarahrempel27
Washington, DC
Reviewed September 26, 2007

My wife and I have traveled extensively in Europe, Asia, the U.S., the Middle East, and northern Africa and stayed in some of the finest hotels, both on business and leisure, but the Deutscher Kaiser remains our absolute favorite place because of the friendly staff who treat us like family and the buidling's understated elegance. We first stayed there in 2002 when we got married in Nuernberg, we've returned just about every year since, and we've never been disappointed. Each time we arrive on their doorstep we feel like we're coming home... one rainy Christmas Eve a few years back we arrived cold, wet and tired after a long flight and train ride to find two hot mugs of "Gluehwein" and some German spice cakes waiting for us, plus a smiling and welcoming face at the desk and a vase of fresh flowers in our room.

The building itself is a wonderful neo-Gothic architectural study inside and out, and one has the feeling of strolling through a more genteel era rather than staying in some impersonal, noisy, generic hotel chain. Some of the older rooms are on the small side and in the process of renovation (every time we come they seem to have improved the place a little), but the "Kaiserhof" rooms are extremely comfortable, tastefully appointed in Biedermeier style, and well worth the extra money. I wish I'd taken a photo of our room, but if you look at their website they have one posted.

A European-style breakfast (cold cuts, eggs, toast & jam, delicious strong coffee, &c.) is served in a sort of gallery that overlooks the medieval square, and the quality of the food is exceptional. All of the staff - from the maids to the manager - were extremely courteous and attentive, and went out of their way to make us feel at home. We would not think of staying anywhere else in Nuernberg - my wife even calls the DK "our" hotel.

Bottom line - if you want a cozy but elegant home base for your stay in Nuernberg that's close to everything important in the city, go for the "Deutscher Kaiser." If you prefer to waste money on nonsense like valet parking, pay-per-view, and bland conference rooms, save yourself the hassle and go to Vegas instead. The Kaiser is for discriminating travelers who appreciate the important things.

• Liked — Attentive/courteous staff, understated elegance, great location
  • Disliked — Some of the older rooms are small, need renovation
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JetSetter1968
Germany
Reviewed February 20, 2007

I went to stay during Fasching time so maybe that's why the price might have been so high. But It was the worst 180 Euros I've ever spent. It was like a 50 euro or less type of twin room the size of closet! with no luxuries like a frig as advertised.
The pluses GREAT LOCATION
and good staff
and a nostolgic classic looking building
but otherwise a little run down and worst room I've stayed in Germany!

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank traveler#4343
Australia
Reviewed November 15, 2006

The only positive point about this hotel is the central location. It is within easy walking distance to the central train station and even closer to the U-Bahn. It is located just inside the walls of the old city and so is an ideal location for tourists. From the exterior the place looks quite nice, a pity the same could not be said for the interior. On entering I was greeted by the front desk woman who treated me as some form of inconvenience. Without doubt the rudest, unfriendliest and most unhelpful hotel staff member I have ever encountered. I have stayed in many hotels in Germany and thankfully she is not the norm, generally they are most welcoming and helpful. I was told there was on site parking but on arrival informed they were fully booked so had to go and find a public car-park. For someone not familar with the area, especially the one way streets this can be a bit of a headache. I recently stayed at the Grand Hotel (which I highly recommend)just around the corner from this hotel which offered valet parking at no extra cost - the Deutscher Kaiser may well want to consider offering this service. On entering our room (we had booked a double) I just could not believe how shabby and tatty it was - something you may have expected in the old East Germany. The double bed was two singles shoved together and the mattress on each was very thin making a very uncomfortable sleep. The bathroom was a disgrace - holes in the shower ceiling and open pipework with bits of insulation stuffed into them. I was told during my stay that they are in the process of renovating, I can understand why, it is badly in need of it. The breakfast was acceptable, I have had worse. For 160 Euros a double room your are only paying for the location, because that is all it has to offer. Once renovations are complete it may be a different story but I would not stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Look elsewhere - try the Grand Hotel
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank Camjar
New York
Reviewed October 3, 2006

I have, unfortunately, stayed at this hotel two times. Not of my own choosing, the reservations were made by a German colleague.

On my many trips to Germany I always try to stay at small, local hotels with some charm and atmosphere. I am almost always rewarded with a pleasant stay.

But the Deutscher Kaiser has to be the worst hotel I have ever encountered. The rooms are absurdly small even by European standards. The bath facilities are primative and the maintenance and cleanliness are questionable at best. The staff are uninterested to the point of being rude. I couldn't wait to leave this terrible hotel.

Okay, one good point, it is in a great location. But that hardly makes up for the bad rooms, service and value.

• Stayed October 2004, traveled on business
2 Thank Nobitz
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2005

Advertised as charming with parking. When we checked in we were told that there is parking in 'any street in nuremberg'. We ended up with the car outside the town!!

As for charming - the staff were rude, not interested in helping us with directions to tourist attractions. Coffee has to be the worst I have ever had and the breakfasts were limited. I felt like I was in a boarding house. As for the rooms, the bathroom facilities were so bad (in terms of functioning) that we ended up using public facilities within the hotel. The only thing that the hotel had going for it was the town and the location - walking distance to most things if you can get a map.

Couldn't wait to leave! Pity too because Nuremberg is such a great place - I fear that they will continue to be successful only because of the town not because of their service.

• Stayed December 2004