“Excellent location, good room, avoid the restaurant”

Ringhotel Loew's Merkur
Ranked #52 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
“Excellent location, good room, avoid the restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

Great hotel within a 5 minute walk of the train station (2 minute walk if you go through the connected mall). Plenty of parking in a secure area and also plenty of public parking that can be utilized. Lots of shopping, markets, etc. Easy access for those who drive.
The restaurant was poor. Bad service, bad food (undercooked chicken) other dishes were fair at best.
Very difficult to get to the car and different parts of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Christel D, Manager at Ringhotel Loew's Merkur, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking your time to recommend our hotel and its location. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the rooms and the atmosphere. Concerning your Impression about the restaurant we are sorry that we could not deliver the quality you expected. Unfortunately i do not have Information on what day you attended our restaurant. It is very hard for me to find out, who was responsible for service and cooking on that day, because we have different shifts.

Normally the Standard of our cuisine is highly recommended - and the service as well. I hope that apart from that unpleasant memory you had a wonderful time in Nuremberg and a safe journey home.

Yours sincerely Peter Löw, your host and its team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

I was pretty satisfied with this hotel.

My room appeared to be quite new, functional and it was kept very clean. The mattress is among better mattresses that can be found in hotels. The location is good. It's a bit on the expensive side (as most good Nuremberg hotels are). Pool working time is a bit strange, but, I've somehow managed without it. ;) Hotel staff were friendly and polite.

Few reviews mention the labyrinth that lead to rooms, but it's not that terrible as pathways are excellently marked.

The only thing I dislike about this hotel is the owner's way of commenting bad reviews here on TripAdvisor. Everyone has its right to dislike the hotel for whatever reason; there's no need to be rude...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Christel D, Manager at Ringhotel Loew's Merkur, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear guest,

thank you very much for your comment. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we really appreciate your recommendation. Concerning your remarks about the stilistic approach I Chose in some reviews you are right.

However I would not describe these answers as rude, but as adequate from my point of view. However perhaps the translation machine sometimes aggravates and mutilates the message that was originally intended to be sent in some responses I have given.

Yous sincerely Peter Löw, your host
New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

Stayed at this establishment in May 2014 as part of a group tour.

The Lobby hints at what the in-room experience has to offer. It is dated and the service was not great. Our group was spread across several floors and I was told that some rooms, on the top floor, were only accessible by 2 different banks of lifts and a flight of stairs. A staff member was provided to accompany these guests as they were concerned they might not find the rooms on their own. (A reasonable concern as it turns out)

My room was located on the 3rd floor, overlooking the train station. The room itself was quite small but not quite student halls of residence small. The bathroom was also small but functional although it seems only fair to provide at least 2 towels for guests! The room was reasonably clean and smelled OK.

Bed was very small, a single, mattress was lumpy and the "pillow" was more like a t-shirt wrapped up in a square pillow case. I went down to reception to request a pillow choice and was told in no uncertain terms that "all the pillows are like that, and another one would be exactly the same". Naturally upon hearing this news I modified my request to "please could I have 3 pillows in that case" the surly German Frauline just grunted and muttered that it would be delivered. Some time later a nice gent arrived with a replacement pillow (not 3). This pillow was in fact quite a bit better than the first one and when used in conjunction proved barely adequate.

The bar area is located on the ground floor and has an authentic 1960's Brothel feel about it. It is helped by the rude bar maid who was more interested in talking to her mates at the bar than serving paying guests. This bar tender also appeared to have an issue with Women at the bar?

The location is not great and the outlook is pretty bad too but the breakfast was nice with lots of variety and table service. All in all for, $135 Euro I think you could do better.

By the way, I'm not sure which hotel the pictures of the rooms were taken in, or if someone is just really good on photoshop, but don't expect your room to look like that!

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the top floor if you have luggage, get dunk, or just have trouble navigating...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank justine555
Christel D, Manager at Ringhotel Loew's Merkur, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear justine55,

thank you very much for your feedback. We regret that you could not find the comfort in our house you were looking for. Reading your interesting reports and reviews on trioadvisor about places you have recently seen and hotels where you stayed all over the world I can clearly understand why you could not enjoy your time in Nuremberg. I would also prefer the view over the Pacific Ocean (Trump International Hotel Waikiki, Honolulu) or the look from the 20th floor over the nightlife of Singapore (Carlton Hotel). I agree with you that in comparison with such wonderful and unforhettable experiences the plain look on our main station (by the way: the oldest railway station in Germany) is not very spectacular.

Concerning the room rate that you mentioned you are making me unsure a little bit: If I understand you correctly, it has been no great problem for you to pay 50 € to get by taxi in a 30 minutes ride from Hotel Dolce in Unterschleißheim to Munich City Center, as you wrote in your trip report. However, our Hotel is so close located to the mediveal City Center of Nuremberg that you can go on foot within a 5 Minutes walk. That saves a lot of money, that you can invest in your future travels when you pay 33 $ plus tax+tip for breakfast in a Hotel (Honolulu) but makes less problems in getting the right pillow menue.

Let me end with your remark concerning our hotel bar. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and I deeply apologize for the deficiencies of the service that you experienced there. But I can confess that no brothel served as an example for its décor. If you noticed this similarity it is to me a hint that you already have seen places on earth your reports on tripadvisor are still to appear.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

This is a quaint hotel right next to the main train station in Nuremberg. While the location is very convenient it is extremely noisy. Keep in mind as well, older hotels like this one do not have an air conditioner and unless you open a window to let all of the noise in the room gets very warm during the night.

The staff is very friendly and the rooms are ok but in need of renovation. The restaurant serves a decent breakfast and the food is just average.

With all of the great hotels in the city I would look around before staying at this one.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Thexprt7
Christel D, Manager at Ringhotel Loew's Merkur, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear guest,

thank your for your comment on tripadvisor. We feel sorry that you could not enjoy your stay at our Hotel in the way you hoped for. Thank you for your reccomendation of our breakfast buffet and your nice words about our friendly service.

Your remarks on our age are abolutely right. Our hotel is an traditional hotel established in 1930.However since these beginnings we always changed and keep on changing year by year. Many of our guests love our tradition and our art of hospitality, some do not. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Old hotel that is close to the train station. It's in need of some renovation - don't believe the website pictures! Friendly reception team, surly breakfast crew. Wouldn't suggest you eat here for dinner - find somewhere nice.

Just kinda average.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank LocalDine
Christel D, Manager at Ringhotel Loew's Merkur, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear guest,

thank you for commentary here on Tripadvisor. We regret that you didn't find our hotel so nice as you expected. Concerning your remarks on our restaurant I can only quote the old saying: Do not judge a book by its cover.

Concerning your remarks on our photos on our homepage I want to point out: What you see is what you get: The Lobby, the bar, the restaurant, the entrance hall, the pool, our conference rooms: These Pictures show exactly the way we are, what else? Concerning our 200 rooms we have Chosen different decors over the years. This is true. However this is one aspect our guests normally enjoy. We regret, that you didn't feet comfortable with your room.

I hope that you had a successful time in Nuremberg.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

A very cozy little place conveniently situated with close proximity to town centre, trains etc.
Rooms and amenities were satisfying.
Staff with smiles...... Always works magic to weary travelers .
Excellent stay during our visit to Spielwarenmesse Toy Fair (2014)

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Christel D, Manager at Ringhotel Loew's Merkur, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear guest,

thank you very much for your nice commentary about your stay in our hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your time. Thanks also for your nice words about my staff. I hope you had a successful toy fair here in Nuremberg. I wish you a safe flight home and I am lookung forward to seeing you next year in Nuremberg again at the TOY 2015.

at home
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

The price for our family of 4 was fantastic, especially for Europe! The staff were very friendly & helpful & spoke very good English. The location is just outside of the old town…you walk through the main halls of the train station across the street & exit right by the old city wall where the handicraft market is. It's not in the middle of the old city, but right next to it, so easy to get around on foot. The rooms are very small, you won't want to do anything here but sleep!

The restaurant was good & fairly priced. Breakfast was typical European…for an American probably not very good value for the variety/price, but kids were free, so it was great for us! Easy to park (extra charge) and get in & out.

No free wifi in room?!?!
The hotel is a maze…very difficult to find your room (fire exit?!) follow the signs very closely! Rooms are tiny, the smallest I've been in! You don't want to stay here if you plan to hang out in the room much. Not very handicap accessible either, I'd say…we had to use lots of stairs with our bags! There is also a lot of noise from the hallway & alley in the room…so not very soundproof.

Room Tip: You definitely want something away from the elevators & not in the main building where everyone...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Christel D, Manager at Ringhotel Loew's Merkur, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for your comment referring to your stay at our hotel. Me employees and me are glad that you enjoyed your stay and especially your enthusiasm about our price-value ratio and that you write that we are an perfect hotel for familiies.

Please let me add some information: WiFi in the rooms is free for all our guests who book directly via our homepage.

It is true, what you write: Some of our rooms are only accessible by using stairs. However we are also an officially ceritfied hotel for handicapped people and all our guests who have problems with their mobility get rooms, which have direct access to the lift and are easy to reach.

Concerning the size of the rooms you mentioned we evidently offer different categories. So it's in the decision of the guest to book a standard room or to choose a category where the rooms are more spacious.

I hope, you and your family had a good journey back and I wish you and your familiy a Happy New Year.

Perter Löw, your host