“Central well kept hotel”

Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg
Ranked #30 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Reviewed August 23, 2014

I stayed here for a night before boarding a River Cruise. The hotel is in a very central location with all public transport available just outside the front door. The hotel is within walking distance to most attractions and the markets, The interior was well maintained, and the rooms, although in an old building were thoroughly clean and up to date. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is amazing - I don't often get offered endless champagnes with a buffet breakfast.
The bar was warm and cosy with the staff once again being very courteous and helpful. The rates were very reasonable.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have great views
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
J_rgen_S187310, General Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Dear Jack B
thank you very much for your trough out positive comments in regards to location, friendliness of our associates, the rooms and the breakfast. Thanky you also for sharing your thoughts with others travelling with Viking Cruises. My team and I do hope that you enjoyed the trip and remain,
Jürgen Sziegoleit

Write a ReviewReviews (1,143)

Reviewed August 17, 2014

This hotel gets high marks for a number of things. First we are a family of 17 therefore check in and out can be somewhat difficult, it was seamless here. We even arrived a bit early and they accommodated us with a smile, great service. The rooms are nice, spacious, comfortable, clean with large bathrooms and quiet even though directly across from the train station. It is also directly next to the avenue that leads to the town center with a ton of shops and eateries along the way, even a small grocery store for miscellaneous items or snacks, fabulous location. They do not have FREE wifi in the rooms which would have given them a perfect TEN however it is free in the lobby. We had dinner there once and brunch one day which again for 17 people they did an amazing job, the food was good and the service was the best. We really enjoyed our stay and give them high marks for so many reasons.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
J_rgen_S187310, General Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear Mi-Dan20
thank you for your review and thank you for rating us so high and giving us nearly a ten. Apart from our location, which is marked very high by every guest, it seems that we were able to make you and your family happy, which makes us feel proud. It is also nice to read that you liked the rooms and bathrooms. I also appreciate your comments about the good service you received and the quality of food and be rest assured that I will pass on your comments to the entire team.
We are looking forward welcoming you and your family back to Nuremberg and the Grand Hotel alike.

Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in July and asked for a quiet, deluxe room. I was very pleased that it really was totally quite despite the fact that the hotel is right across from the train station. The ambiance of the entire hotel is very nice, kinda art deco. The staff was very friendly and the food was good. Unfortunately, the person I was traveling with had less luck.Her room was exextremely small and the bathroom was just unacceptably small. You literally had to squeeze into the shower and her ac didn't work as well as mine either. I definitely would stay here again because I, personally, had no complaints. I checked out some of the other hotels while in Nuernberg and was so glad I picked the Le Meridien.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear mariefabienne
thank you for your review and thank you for rating us so high. It is nice to read that you would stay with us again once you are in town and that you liked the food and our associates. I am sorry to hear that your friend had less luck with the size of the room but as you can iomagine an old building such as ours has a lot of different room categories and lay outs. We are looking forward welcoming you back one day.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

I would highly recommend this hotel to all travellers to Nurnberg. The location is excellent as the main railway station is just across the road. The beautiful old town is also just across the road which has many restaurants to choose from. The hotel is amazing inside, I felt like I stepped back into the 20's. The staff are wonderful and the room we stayed in was spacious and very clean. My wife and I enjoyed a beautiful dinner in the hotels elegant restaurant. If we were ever to come back to Nurnberg we would definately stay here again

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
J_rgen_S187310, General Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear Mario M
thank you for your review and thank you for recommending us to others travelers going to Nuremberg. You are a true ambassador for us and I appreciate that you liked the hotel, the associates and our restaurant.
My team and I do hope that you will stay with us again once you are in town.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We spent two nights here last month and could not have been more pleased with the room, the service, and especially the location.

Konigstrasse is right across the side street from the hotel, and leads directly into the old city, and all its restaurants and shopping. And across the facing street is a central tram/bus station; just beyond that is the main train station. We were able to hop a tram to visit the Documentation Center, and we left Nuremberg via train from the bahnhof the next day.

Our room was very large, the bed very comfy. The big flat-screen TV had lots of channels, but only a few were English language, so we didn't watch much. Our room overlooked the bus/tram/train stations, so it was noisy. BUT we were there the night of the World Cup Championship and LOVED watching the celebration that went on all night right outside our window!

A pet peeve of mine is small hotel bathrooms--this one was the opposite. Huge! A tiny shelf over the sink, but there was actually a rolling cart for all our toiletries. And hooks for our thick robes. And a towel-warmer!

My only concern was the old-fashioned tub/shower, which was high and narrow and a bit tricky to climb into and out of.

There was a charge for wi-fi in the room, but it was free in the lobby, so we sat there to check our messages. Corinne at the desk was EXTREMELY patient with my obstinate smart phone and its difficulties connecting to the system. It took so long that my lunch arrived in the bar--and the waitress took it back to the warmer until I was ready to eat. Such service!

I would love to know the history of this beautiful building. So much of Nuremeberg was damaged in WWII, but the marble columns, glass elevator, and lovely skylight somehow survived here.

I highly recommend this hotel, and would definitely stay here again if I ever get the chance to re-visit Nuremberg.

2  Thank agoneil
J_rgen_S187310, General Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Dear agoneil
Thank you very much for your review and all the positive aspects you mentioned. The hotel was built in 1896 by a private man and it its time it was 3 times enlarged to the size of today. In the 1930s an extension was built right next door for the Nazi rallies before the war but it was never really used by the SS regime. After the war the hotel was occupied by the Americans and our hotel and the hotel next door accommodated most of the judges, lawyers and press for the Nazi war crime trial. The hotel was given back to the owner in the mid-50s. In 1970s the hotel was sold to THF and again the hotel changed the ownership a few times until Starwood Hotels and Resorts took it over in 2006. Since then we belong to one of the world biggest hotel operators. Starwood owns 9 Brands and Le Meridien is one Brand of it.
My team and I are looking forward to your next visit and once you are here I would love to tell you much more about it, so please ask for me.
Best regards

Reviewed July 29, 2014

This post is a little after the fact, but I wanted to write a review for the Le Meridien Grand Hotel in Nurnberg. I want to tell people how quaint and nice this little hotel was during my overnight trip.

I stayed here in May as overnight trip to experience Nurnberg and to continue my rail pass travels. This hotel is literally across the street from the Hauptbahnhof and easy access to the downtown Nuremberg shops and sights. So easy in. Once at the hotel the look and feel was what I expect from a Le Meridien. Even though the hotel is part of SPG, the hotel design and feel was an old-world art deco. So very boutique. The service was very accommodating and friendly. The one observation was that everyone had a station. Even though customer service was high, I had to walk up to the counter, or I had to approach different people.

Regardless of having to reach out, it did help with my German. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling alone, in a small group, or couple. I would like recommend this hotel for families since the food options, banquet space, small elevators, and European size rooms are conducive for a family of 4.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank fastball16
J_rgen_S187310, General Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear fastball16
thank you for your review and recommending us other travellers, you are a true ambassador, thank you for that. It is nice to read that you liked the location and the design of the hotel, as well as our food and beverage offerings. Once you are in town again, my team and I would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

This is a great hotel just opposite the main railway station which is very convenient. It is also opposite the start of the old town which is even more convenient. The staff are wonderful, the rooms and bathroons large and airy, The food, including breakfast, is excellent. Wifi is free and fast and covers up to three devices. We didn't try the fitness centre but it also looks pretty good. Overall an excellent hotel which I would be glad to return to - soon!

2  Thank Bill T
J_rgen_S187310, General Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Dear Bill T
thank you for your review and thank you for your comments in regards to location, room, bathrooms and food on offer. We are very glad that you like the hotel and we are even more proud that you will visit us again once in town.

T