“Nice hotel!”

Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg
Ranked #30 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Very nice hotel in a good and central location. Although the building itself is very old, the public areas are "chique" with marble finishing. The service at the front desk is quick and professional. Breakfast is amazing with lots of choice. I have stayed here about 15 times over the last couple of years and the only disappointment is the size of the rooms. All rooms are modern and spotless. Some rooms are quite noisy and VERY small. Sometimes it can also be noisy in the morning with guests and staff slamming the bedroom doors. If you are a light sleeper you are better off asking for a room on one of the quiet wings. In all a nice hotel definitely worth staying in.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank trip165
J_rgen_S187310, General Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear trip165
Thank you for your review and mentioning one of our core values which Le Meridien stands for. Chic, cultured and discovery. Also a big thank you for our breakfast choice on offer and the efficency of our front office agents. I have spoken to my Housekeeping Manager to train her team on keeping the noise to a minimum in the morning. We are looking forward welcoming you back and thank you that you have stayed with us 15 times already.
Best regards

Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location- it is just outside the main station which was great since I was arriving via train and it was snowing!
Upon entry I was impressed, the lobby is spacious and elegant- not overdue like in some places. Check in was easy and my room was on the 3rd floor at the end of the corridor. The bed was a european king which I had become use too. The room was small and I was glad I was travelling alone for it would have been cramped with two people!! But the bed was comfy and the television had news channels only in english.

The bathroom contained a heated towel rack which was great- there was step that led into the bathroom- i kept forgetting and kicked my toes numerous times on that step.
I was unable to use the sauna/fitness facilities due to construction works. The hotel is also centrally located to the centre of Nurnberg and was able to walk to everywhere I wanted from this hotel.

Breakfast was included in my rate but what wasn't mentioned to me on my first morning at the buffet was that where two rooms which contained the buffet. So not knowing that I found the selection in the first buffet limited.
Overall a good hotel and if I returned to Nurnberg I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank soloTravellerGirl
J_rgen_S187310, General Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear soloTravellerGirl
Thank you very much for your positive review. It is nice to read that you liked our good location and the ambiance of the hotel. Just to let you know, we are aware of the steps leading into the bathrooms and presently we are adjusting this. Once you are back in town, my team and I would be very happy if you would stay with us again.
Best wishes

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Hotel is located near station just outside old city walls so convenient for Xmas markets etc. Room was well-designed and very comfortable if not too big, nice breakfast, business centre with easy internet and printing access etc so overall thoroughly enjoyed my stay even if rooms were quite pricey

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
J_rgen_S187310, General Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear R H
thank you for review and your positive comments. It's nice to hear, apart from the price, you enjoyed your stay at the Grand Hotel Nuremberg. My team and I would be more then happy to welcome you back one day.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at the Le Méridien Grand Hotel Nuremberg in a grand deluxe king room for two nights in early December and found the hotel’s ambiance and accommodation quality less than inspiring. On the positive side, the personnel at the front desk were excellent, and the location is excellent: right at the Frauentor and a long segment of the city walls, it offers easy access to the Tourist Info office, the main train and U-Bahn stations, the pedestrian shopping and restaurant area that leads to the Lorenzer Platz.

The rooms have been recently redecorated in a dull palate of gray and gold. The pictures on the website make them seem more inviting than the reality, which is cold and uninviting rather than clean and contemporary. The furniture is sparse, the reading chairs are uncomfortable, the closet and drawer space (in the bottom of the closet only) is barely adequate. Our room lacked the upholstered bench at the foot of the bed, pictured in the web photos. This would have been very useful for holding a suitcase. The bathroom is cramped, and the area for toiletries is too small.

The hotel is not a very good value. We were perhaps overly sensitive to this because we arrived just after five nights in Berlin’s Hotel Adlon, at 250 Euros/night including sumptuous breakfast buffet and free WiFi. At the Grand, we paid 249 Euros (advance, non-refundable) for the room alone, plus 22 Euros per person per day for the breakfast buffet and 19 Euros for WiFi per day, for one device!

The breakfast buffet was large but ordinary, with the exception that the selection of local cold sausages, cured meats and various pickled vegetables was quite nice. The breakfast room is noisy and in early December filled with noisy groups of women tourists in Nuremberg for the holiday markets. The tables were not cleared promptly by the overwhelmed waitstaff, and it was difficult to get anyone’s attention to obtain coffee.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GHgrrl
J_rgen_S187310, General Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear GHgrrl
Thank you for the time to review your stay in the Grand Hotel. As you may know, the Grand Hotel belongs to the Le Meridien Brand, one out of nine Brands Starwood operates. Le Meridien stands for chic, cultured and discovery, all what we offer. Unfortunately you do not like the design of the hotel, others do, so I only can say that it is not your taste. You visited the hotel during the Xmas market, our prime time and all other hotels, such as ours, are nearly full every day and in the morning it is very busy for breakfast, so there is not a lot we can do about it. I appreciate that you liked the associates, the location and parts of our breakfast buffet. Wishing you all the best for 2013.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

this 4* hotel is very well situated : just in front of the main railway station of Nuremberg, if you arrive by train, you don't need a taxi, just to cross the place of the railway station. The hotel is nice, well furnished. my room was a bit small and the view into the inside of the hotel was not nice and sometimes with some rumors. the service and the people at reception are exceptionnaly kind with you. The restaurant is also top, with good wines, a bit expansive but high level. The dear steak for example is excellent, the oysters as well.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
J_rgen_S187310, General Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear eisenstein
Thank you for your review and the nice comments about our associates and the restaurant which you rate so high. The iiner court yards are on the agenda to be renovated in not too far distance. My team and I are looking forward welcoming you back in the future.

t

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel is situated in a fantastic location, opposite the main train station and right at the entrance of old town Nuremberg. During Christmas, the Christkindle markets are a 5min stroll from the hotel through old town. There are many eating options outside of the restaurant, including bars for cheap drinks and also an Aldi supermarket just down the road.

We booked a deluxe room and were put on the 4th floor, facing the train station and right next to the lift that went down to the sauna level. The room was tiny, and the bathroom was pretty compact too. They do use the small space well but it was a lot smaller than what I was expecting. The room was noisy due to the traffic. The closed windows and curtains drawn do block out some of the noise but not entirely. The constant sirens did keep me awake the first night.

The television in the room did not move and we needed to plug in our laptop for work purposes. After speaking to front desk they advised they would see if we could be moved in the morning. The next morning they moved us to a room where the television moved and the difference in the room was amazing! The new room, same room category we were advised, was at the end of the hall on the 4th floor.

We opened the room door and there was a hallway approx. 8 - 10meters leading into the room. The room itself was spacious with a quiet courtyard view. The bathroom in the new room was huge, with a lovely bathtub and stunning layout. It was just worlds apart from the first room we were put in?

We ate at the restaurant for lunch one day and it was very nice. At this time there was only us and 1 other table so it was a lovely, quiet and romantic lunch. We had the lunch special menu which I thought was fantastic value for the quality of food and the atmosphere.

The only real downside we found in this hotel was that, like nearly all other German hotels we have been in, you have to pay for internet and it is not cheap.
The thing that did bother me the most about this is that even in the business centre you could not access free internet.
If a hotel is going to market itself as a 4 star or above property, and charge room rates as a 5 star property then they should be offering certain services and amenities in the rate; such as, free internet!

Overall, once the change of room was made, this hotel was fabulous with a great location, friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard facing room on a higher floor to avoid street noise such as constant sirens. Roo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blimeytravelbug
J_rgen_S187310, General Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear blimeytravelbug
thank you very much for your very detailed review. I am glad that we were able to offer you an upgrade to one of our Junior suites which was fully to your liking. I also appreciate that you liked the restaurant and the food on offer and that you describe this as good value for money. With the internet there is not a lot we can do. It is company policy to charge for this service and unfortunately we receive compalints about this once in a while. My team and I would be happy to welcome you back once you are in town.
Best regards

Reviewed January 13, 2013

As I travel at winter time, location is super important and it is close to the train station and the old city. The staff is kind, friendly and helpful but the rooms are quite small so if you are travelling for business this will do, otherwise check it before you book ...all in all,an old fashioned classic hotel. enjoy

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Elvira V

Dear Elvira V
As you mentioned rightly, the Le Meridien Grand Hotel is an old classic hotel with over 100 years of history. We do have 6 different room categories our guests can choose with various room sizes and if somebody requires a spacious room it is adviseable to check beforehand, since we are not always able to offer an upgrade. I want to thank you for review and remain.