“Superb Hotel, Yet Not Quite Perfect”

Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg
Ranked #29 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Wiesbaden, Germany
“Superb Hotel, Yet Not Quite Perfect”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I had a 5 day business stay at the Le Meridien and was a little nervous about choosing this hotel over others that we had looked at such as the Sheraton nearby. In the end, it turned out to be a great choice even though there were a couple complaints that I would voice. First of all, check-in was quite simple and the staff was friendly and accomodating. I felt that the bellboys were especially kind and helpful. We even hit them up on advice about clubs in the area and one of them even got us on the guest list at one of them for an exclusive party.

The room was disappointingly small, yet very well decorated and comfortable. The pictures of the standard room on the website looks much larger than in real life, but then again, that usually tends to be the case on the website. I can appreciate a boutique hotel and the style of the room over the space, so I didnt mind overall. My colleagues were very disappointed with the size of their room. The bathroom was also small but extremely luxurious, which again was appreciated by me.

Here are my complaints: the car was parked in a nearby lot and we had to request the car in advance when we needed it. This seemed to be a nuisance at first, but they were usually quick about retrieving the car. Although the tips added up over 5 days. My other complaint was that we booked the room which "included breakfast" yet at check-out, the invoice showed breakfast separately and the room rate was reduced which messes up our ability to claim reimbursement for the breakfast and the staff would/could not budget on fixing the room bill. This was disappointing for us and impacted our bottom line on business travel. The business center was small but the staff was very accomodating with giving us 30 minute passes to use the computers when necessary. This saved us from paying an expensive daily rate.

The gym facilities were very good with new equipment, weights, and spa facilities. The locker rooms were very nice and everything was comortable and clean. Towels, water, and fresh apples were provided every day.

The breakfast was exceptional and elegant. The wait staff is outstanding with a few stand-ours in particular. I liked how the buffet was spread into separate rooms and the chef was always there to make eggs to order. Again, the breakfast was charged separately upon check-out, so be aware of this issue if you are on business and it matters (which it might not).

Finally, the location was superb. Right next to the train station, and across the street from the beginning of the altstadt. We've traveled all over Germany and all over Europe and Nurenburg's downtown area is one of the most beautiful around. It should not be missed. That being said, I would also be happy just sitting around the Le Meridien for 5 days and soaking in the elegance of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
J_rgen_S187310, Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear HUTCH1113
thank you that you took the time and effort to write such a long review about your stay and in general I summarise that you were a happy guest, thank you for that. The breakfast on the bill, a huge problem in our lovely country and I want to give you an explanation for that. In general we have a VAT of 19%, but a few months ago the German government has decided to reduce the VAT for acoomodation to 7%. All hoteliers were and are delighted, since this frees funds for necessary renovations. On the other side, VAT for breafast, lunch and dinner remained at 19%. It is a legal requirement to show all charges with different VAT, since the taxman, as in other countries, is a very hungry man. I am still happy that you rate this old Grande Dame so well and my team and I looking forward welcoming you back.
Jürgen Sziegoleit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We booked this hotel at the last minute. The hotel is conveniently located right opposite the railway station. The rooms are small but the beds are comfortable. Please note that the hotel dose not provide free wifi access and the charge is rather high.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear NoNo0011
We have heard the comments about the wifi now a few times already and I am happy to inform you ,that the compny and the hotel managementi working on a solution that will please both sides.
USA
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Despite being opposite the train and trolley stations, this hotel is quiet and elegant. The area is good and it is convenient to walk everywhere. I had a large, lovely corner room and enjoyed the views. The Atelier bar is small but friendly, the lobby areas very classy. Only con is the main elevator takes forever (but I noticed an airline crew using a smaller elevator near the front desk :)
It's now my go-to hotel in Nurnberg.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear allthenamesaretaken
it's nice to read that we have another fan of the Grand Hotel. Just to let you know, we ordered a new elevator cabin, which will be completed in January 2013. Once you come back after that date, you will enjoy the most modern elevator ride.
My team and I looking forward welcoming you back.
Best regards
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I visited the bar while I was staying with family in Nuremberg. Since I love live music I was delighted to find that the Grand Hotel offers free live jazz performances each Thursday, starting in September. I felt very comfortable visiting alone as a middle aged woman. The bar is not at all stuffy, nor are the drinks particularly expensive..... my red wine was 6 Euros per glass. There are small tables for those who'd like to have a bite to eat while they listen to the music. The nice printed program available at the bar details the performers that are coming during the season - this can also be read online. The polite & attentive crowd was mostly over 30, the service was swift and friendly. The night I was there, the vocalist sang a variety of easy listening songs in German, plus songs in Spanish, French, & English. She even introduced each song by telling the background/history of the number. I'm looking forward to another lovely evening there before I leave the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear mona-isabella
thank you very much for your detailed review of our Atelier Bar. Comments like yours encourage us, because we listened to our guests and they told us, that we should introduce life music. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed the evening and my team and I hope to welcome you back in the not so far future.
Chipping Norton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights, and we were very impressed with the service received here. The staff were efficient, especially at breakfast and in the bar.

The rooms were large, clean and spacious, although the hotel corridors are a bit dark and depressing - old I suppose. The stairway, lift and foyer are very grand, as you'd expect really. The hotel has views of the surrounding roads and Nurnberg Hauptbahnhof (station). Although the busy tram line runs past, there is little noise in the rooms.

Pay per view movies and internet is available in the rooms which is a good feature.

The beds were comfortable, and the bathrooms clean.

Breakfast in the morning was very good every day, with a large, varied variety of food to choose.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
J_rgen_S187310, Manager at Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear jw1601
thank you for the description of your stay and the features on offer, which is highly appreciated. Thank you also for the praise for the bar and our breafast. It is also nice to read that you liked the comfort of our Le Meridien beds as well as the general cleanliness. My team and I hope that you will visit us again and remain
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

An excellent hotel.

The location is good, being close to the centre of Nuremberg, opposite the railway station, and near to many of the major sites, including the museums.

We had a double room with King size bed, and (although we checked in very early) were warmly welcomed immediately and given the choice of one with a view over the station, or a quiet room at the back. We chose the quiet room: it certainly didn't have a view, except of a blank wall, which was a bit depressing. This was really our only negative comment about the hotel.

The staff were first rate - both pleasant and very helpful; they took initiatives to help us (I'm somewhat disabled). Excellent English spoken.

The food is very good, and we recommend the buffet breakfast. We had two superb dinners.

However, this is a high quality hotel in Germany, and they don't come cheap! If you want to eat more cheaply, there are several places very close: we particularly recommend the Pillhofer (turn right out of the hotel, cross the road, and then cross over to the left - excellent authentic Franconian food - try the soups for lunch. Or try the Victoria, next door: at the back there's a lovely cafe overlooking the "artistic" live water feature - always fun to watch. )

But coming back to the Le Meridien Grand, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and cannot praise the staff enough.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Brian R
Thank you for your excellent review and your closing words "and cannot praise the staff enough" What else could I say a part from thank you!? With the price, you are right, a BMW costs more then a Fiat Panda but once you tried both you know where for you paid the extra money. My team and I looking forward welcoming you back.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I'm a bit puzzled by some of the reviews here, because our stay was nothing but terrific! From the moment we entered the gorgeous, art deco-marble lobby, to the moment we checked out, the staff was eager to help, giving directions, advice on site seeing and allowing us to check in early. We had a "Deluxe King" room which was enormous with a fantastic, elegant bathroom. We didn't have a view, but how could we complain at the room rate we were paying! Internet was free as a Starwood member card holder - it was on our bill when we checked out but the clerk immediately removed the charge when we showed him our preferred member card. In short, we thought it was a beautiful, perfectly located, frendly hotel.

Room Tip: We got a terrific rate on Booking.com for the deluxe king - go for the deluxe if you want a larger r...