“Clean and simple in great location”

A&O Nurnberg Hauptbahnhof
Reviewed June 4, 2014

The location of this place is great - 5 minutes walk from the central station, 10 minutes to the river and 15 minutes to the central market. I stayed in a room with a double bed and shower, and the room was larger than I got in more expensive hotels. The place is clean and well organised and the staff is very nice and helpful. There is also an option for breakfast for €6 but I didn't take it. The only thing that annoyed me was that the internet - they give you the first 24 hours free and you have to pay for the following days. Good that the free internet from the lobby was strong enough to reach my room so I didn't have to pay extra. I recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard because those that are facing the street are very noisy. It is a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank alex n

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Because we wanted to visit Nuremberg only for 2 days in December to see well-known Christmas Market and don’t want to spend too much money for an accommodation we decided to stay in AO Hostel. We also chose it because of a very good location near the main railway station and close to the old city center. We knew that it is a hostel not a hotel and we expected a simple accommodation. And yes, the room was simple, but spacious, clean and well functionally equipped. There were 2 beds pushed together and 1 bunk bed for kids, table with chairs and a small bathroom.
We also ordered a breakfast and a rich choice at the breakfast buffet in a large breakfast room with soft, quiet music was very nice.
There were a lot of young people and families with children different nationalities and it was a little noisy in the reception room and we had to stay in a queue to check-in but the staff
were friendly, polite and spoke English very well.
There is a possibility to leave your luggage at the hotel for several hours if you come early or after your check out. It is a room near the reception. The receptionist give you a key and you can leave your luggage there. But you don’t leave your personal and precious things there.
We were really satisfied with our stay here and we recommend it for young people or families with children.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rennqa
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We were 3 people staying in a 6 bed mixed dorm with en suite bathroom.
Our experience at this hostel, apart from the wonderfully central location started off baldly and just continued that way.
The woman checking us in was cold and disinterested and pretty unhelpful, offering us no advice or information about the hostel or the city. We were informed at this stage that there was a linen charge which we had not been informed of at booking (although having checked the website since there is a small section informing of this) and that if we wanted to pay by card there would be a €3 charge.
After sorting all this we were then told that the lift on our side of the building was not working so we would have to use the one on the other side and then walk the length of the building to our room. At no point during our 3 day stay was any attempt made to fix the lift!
During our stay our room was not cleaned once meaning there were dirty towels and sheets from previous stayers in our room strewn all over the place and it was impossible to figure out which beds were available and which weren't. This was made particularly evident when people tried to check in during the day and were unable to decipher the free beds. This led to people eventually checking into the room late in night and having to change dirty sheets themselves and disrupting everyone else in the room!
Overall the whole running of the hostel felt incredibly disorganised and nobody seemed to care at all.
The location is about all this hostel has going for it but even that is tainted by the noise from the very busy main road coming into the rooms through the paper thin windows which have to remain open throughout the night as the rooms as quite small and can get very stuffy if they are at full occupancy.
I would not recommend this hostel. It's not worth the price, which can be cheap during the week but goes up considerably at weekends.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank danigross88
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My concern with this hostel is with one of the staff in the reception, a woman with long dark hair working in the evening shift on 17 April.

I had a problem with my booking and by mistake I booked a shared room instead of a single room. After explaining the problem I had to this woman in reception, I only got rude answers from her.

She refused to offer me any help, even though I explained her I couldn't contact the website I used for the booking. Firstly, I asked her for the price list to understand what I paid for because what I paid didn't match the price for a shared room, she refused to show me any price list and point me to the computers, only when I asked her for the third time she showed me how to check them on the computer. Secondly, as I was a bit confused with my booking situation I asked her for help but she was giving me short answers without offering me any alternatives. So finally, I asked her about changing to a single room and paid the difference, but she kept telling me to contact the "agency" I used and asked them to do it (a senseless solution as I have already mentioned her I couldn't contact the website).

During the whole conversation she didn't show any concern/empathy about my situation or offer any real alternative, she was even smiling on a cheeky way and nearly to laugh at me. By the way she treated me she deserved a ZERO in customer service.

Also, on top of that, she tried to sell me the WIFI access as she was saying the free WIFI was just working on the reception area even though as I checked later I could access it from my room. Honestly, I think she was taking the mickey of me during the whole conversation...

As my first time visiting Nuremberg and staying in an A&O hotels, it was the worst first impression ever. My perception of that city and your company would never be as good as it could have been. Even though the rest of the staff was nice and the room and hotel looked ok for a hostel, I think customer services is one of the key areas in the hospitality industry, that's the reason I gave you a poor rating.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank AlvaroCS88
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed in the hostel with twin sharing. It was definitely worth the money and it is close to the main train station. The room was cleaned and the service provided was good. There was a small cafe available. However, the breakfast wasn't fantastic and free wifi is available at the reception. Otherwise, the stay was cheap, clean and comfortable.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The room we stayed in in this hostel was so clean, new, spacious, and nice - and it was a 6 person dorm! We were very pleasantly surprised (especially after staying at the same type room at the A&O in Munich the night before, and being assigned to a filthy, decrepit room). The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly here at the Nuremberg location, too. When the internet wasn't working on one of our phones, they were helpful and gave us a code to use for a few hours of free hotel-wide internet. It was a great and safe location, only a 15 or so minute walk from the center of town, and about a 1 minute walk from the bus station, and probably 3 minutes to the Hauptbahnhof (main train station). I would definitely recommend this hostel!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This is a hostel but for two adults and two kids looking to visit the old part of Nuremburg without spending a fortune it was pretty good. The rooms were sizable and clean but not even a kettle to have a cup of tea. You could use the kitchenette four floors down but that was a little unkempt given the general clientele (again it is a hostel so this was not unexpected). Given the clientele it was pretty noisy for one of our nights, teenagers running around corridors, slamming doors etc, so families with young kids would need to beware.
The other issue I had was parking. I email in and booked two car parks, as we were travelling with another family and they responded the this was OK, but when we got there only one park was booked. They pointed us to a public park down the road which did help.
On the plus side the location was great. We could walk into the old town, come back mid afternoon and return by foot for the night markets. This was a big plus as once the cars were parked that was it. Pretty good value for money all up.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family