“Amazing place”

and up
Private Tour: Nuremberg Day Trip with Train Transport from Munich
Ranked #1 of 183 things to do in Nuremberg
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This place is just fantastic. The history of the remnant of the bulding is chilling, as is some of the content of the exhibition, but it is one of the best museums I've ever been to. There was so much information available, and the architecture of how the museum has been incorporated into theold building is excellent. An absolute must see.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

The Documentation Center was really well done. I recommend starting your day there and buying the day pass. Then you can get in to a handful of other museums that day for free. We chose the Documentation Center and Nuremberg Trial Museum/Courtroom. Anyway...I would give yourself about 3 hours to visit this place. Included in your entry fee is an audioguide. We spent about 2 hours in the museum and didn't listen to the entire guide - there is a lot of information. Then we walked around the lake to visit the grounds.

1  Thank JMurph40
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Having studied German history at University, this was on my 'must do' list! It's based in the incomplete Congress Hall. Best way to get there is on the number 9 tram which is clearly marked for the Documentation Centre and leaves from the Hauptbahnhof opposite the yellow post office building (tip - buy the all-day travel ticket at €5.10 to potentially combine this with travel to other attractions). Journey takes about 10-15 minutes.

Entry is $5 Euro for adults with free audio guide. Cafe on site serving a decent coffee. Lockers available at €1 (returned) and recommended as the interior is quite warm.

Exhibits were very informative explaining the rise of the Nazis - I did not learn a lot more new, but I was fascinated by the actual insight into hour the rallies were organised. The audio guide worked very well but was slightly confusing as it would suddenly spring into life when it came near certain audio-visual displays.

You get a fantastic view of the Congress Hall from an exterior balcony and you can walk inside at ground level.

I really enjoyed my visit, but it was spoiled by a couple of things. Firstly it is a victim of its own success; I understand that it was built to cater for 100,000 visitors annually but that is now double. As a consequence, the first few rooms (which are quite small) can get packed - especially if you arrive at the same time as a coach party. Secondly, a guide for one of these coach parties insisted on giving his own commentary - loudly. Trying to listen to the audio guide was even more difficult and was very disruptive (especially as the group barged their way through to keep on their schedule). If everyone on the coach party was given an audio guide (and the majority seemed to have them), why bother causing disruption with your own commentary, however well-meant?

And finally, I had the misfortune of meeting one of the rudest / arrogant people I have ever met in my travels. Okay, I'll be charitable and say just plain dumb or stupid. You sat (with your daughter I think) in one of the smallest exhibit rooms and made an extremely loud and animated personal call on your mobile telephone, whilst everyone else was trying to read the exhibits or listen to the audio guide. You ignored the dirty looks and carried on regardless. I was so tempted to follow you around and start my own conversation right behind you. Your total lack of respect for others and ignorance was breath-taking - shame on you. Note to the management - can you put up some 'No Mobiles' signs please?

Okay, rant over. I understand that there are plans afoot to expand the centre, which should alleviate the over-crowding issue. Things can only get better. In the interim, still well worth visiting.

1  Thank LonePhotographer
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Pretty cool if you like history, if not I wouldn't recommend this specific place. Instead I'd recommend the non-history lovers to just walk around the entire complex. Nuremberg turned this Nazi complex into an absolutely beautiful park with tons of running/walking trails with benches scattering the trail.

Take the #9 Tram toward Docu-Zentrum if you are coming from the Hauptbahnhof, it's the easiest route to get there.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is one of the best things to see in Nuremberg, if you like history. You could spend days in there, but using the audio tour you can listen as much as you like to the exhibits. Very interesting and fair presentation of the facts.