“Not the best”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Altstadt - St. Sebald
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stopped by for a quick takeaway bratwurst roll (with 3 tiny sausages) for EUR 2.20. After eating quite a few Thuringia bratwurst the previous few days in Weimar and Dresden, I thought these weren't great. The atmosphere inside seemed good, but it was a little strange having the takeaway customers queueing around the BBQ in the middle of the restaurant!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,930)

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Located on the main drag towards the castle we decided to pop in for a quick bit to eat. To say this place is busy is an understatement! Inside has the smoky (cooking smoke!) atmosphere with delicious smells.

The menu is basic and it offers Bratwurst! With a variety of sides such as sauerkraut, potato salads and bread rolls. It also offers pork knuckle, which is essentially the knee joint to those unfamiliar with it.

How the staff keep up is beyond me! It may take a little prompting to get served etc. but it's understandable when you see how busy it is!

Food was exactly what it said it was good basic German food, in an authentic atmosphere.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

If one is looking for a place where to enjoy the bratwurst of his life while in Nuremberg or nearby, Bratwursthausle is your answer. Restaurant's menu consists exclusively of bratwurst dishes, with potato salad, sauerkraut or horseradish being the choices of side dish for your meal. For drink the restaurant offers a range of soft drinks, beers, wines and spirits.
Despite the slight wait due to the large volume of customers, once my party of 7 got our table we were given menus. The english-speaking waiter took our orders fast, and while the whole restaurant was full we received our food in about 10 minutes. Bratwurst was excellent. I don't think I've ever had better before. Sausages were cooked on an open fire and served on metallic plates. Coupled with mustard and either sauerkraut or potato salad, the meal of 10 sauerkraut sausages I enjoyed was a harmonious balance of sweet and salty flavours.
The place had its own unique ambience. The air itself is filled with the smell of freshly cooked sausages, with simple wooden chairs and tables in a small, hut-like space, where you are very likely to get to dine next to a complete stranger. The kitchen is situated in the middle of a dining area, thus making the distribution of orders mighty efficient.
I have absolutely nothing to complain of the place. It was a unique experience, with its small dining space, noisy surroundings and relatively thick air filled with aromas of bratwurst and smoke. The food was excellent and the I loved how efficient the staff was. A five star place if you ask me!! I live myself in Munich at the moment, but I would Nuremberg over some weekend just for the sake of having these small sausages filled with genuine flavours for lunch and being surrounded by merry people :)

2  Thank Toni M
Reviewed February 24, 2013

If you don't mind eating great Bratwurst possibly next to people you don't know, this is the place for you. Service was very quick but you might need to wait a few minutes for a table; or a space at a table. However, it was worth the wait.

2  Thank Rob B
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We showed up (6 guests) for lunch and although there was a short wait, when the "hostess" asked us how many people, and indicated that we should follow her, we wrongly assumed that she was showing us to a table. She disappeared into the crowd, leaving us standing in the middle of restaurant which was extremely crowded. We were literally elbowed out of the way, pushed and shoved by waitstaff who had no desire to show us to a table (who knows whether they had one available). No restaurant has food good enough to put up with such insulting treatment. It was not a language problem, I speak fluent German. What a zoo!

5  Thank Trotpeg