“2013 sept I was on solo no reservations trip”
Review of Hotel Garni Probst

Hotel Garni Probst
Ranked #37 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Lorton, Virginia
“2013 sept I was on solo no reservations trip”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I was on a solo adventure from Ramstein, to Stuttgart, to Munich(one night crazy friday opening Ofest) headed to NurnBerg was going to stay one night and catch DB express bus to Prague, got off train and as always went to tourist kiosk and asked them to check hotels. Just my luck German elections and some big congress halle events, rooms priced 300-400 EU, guy at tourist kiosk said ...we do have these smaller older hotels let me check called and made reservation....single small quiet off street on couryard small in room bathroom and shower. clean room, tv, also internet was iffy. I got it 50EU, walked around old town some fests in two parts of town, nusic and food, awesome. This hotel has hundreds of thank you letters from all over the world in the passage to the elevator. I had been stationed in Berlin, Munich and stuttgart but had only briefly passed through Nurnberg. After eaating and walking around, i inquired about a second night and was able to get room for total of 3 nights.
I only stay at hotels w/fruhstuck breakfast cause i eat good breakfast and hit the streets taking photos from morning till late at night 12midnight or 1 am, night shots are awesome.

i do not like paying for some big hotel name, with gym, pool,suama etc that i have no use for.
I got to see things i would not have been able too if hotel was expensive...so i got to stay there, in nice room, friendly gentleman at desk with whom i chatted for a couple hours each night.
The owners are extremely friendly and serve an amazing breakfast with coffee and no question if you ask for more coffee..like some hotels.
I just don't want too many people to discover this diamond of a hotel. I plan on being back in Nurnberg in sept on way to prague with buddy. I am going to try to get go-today.com to get us rooms at hotel garni Probst,
I only spend maybe 5 to 6 hours in bed so no need for all the fluff just clean room,friendly owners and staff and I am happy.
If traveling stop in and see the folks at Probst and say Herr Fox from US said hello!

Room Tip: I was alone abd just in need of clean single with bath even though I am older outside noise doent bo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank seeker741

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 15, 2014

This hotel was a find by the information center, and it was fantastic. We got a room with 2 beds, our own bathroom (furnished with towels, a good shower and a toilet), a tv, and sheets and pillows. The hotel is family owned, and all the staff are *extremely* friendly. I am a college age male who was travleing with a friend of mine, and for only 70E total (it's hard to get all this for 35E a night anywhere else), you get all this AND breakfast. My only complaint is that there isn't AC (which is normal in Europe), and there is construction going on right next door (which makes it hard to sleep with the window open). Overall, this hotel is amazing!

Room Tip: Ask for advice on choosing a room. The proprietor is very friendly!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This is a great European-style small hotel. The breakfast was great and the staff was very courteous and helpful, It is well-run -- our room was serviced while we were at breakfast, so there is obviously communication there. We stayed three nights, including the night of Germany's win in the World Cup Final. We watched the match in the breakfast room. As our room faced the inner courtyard, we were not bothered by the celebrations that went on into the night. The hotel is inside the old city walls and a short walk from the main train station, so an ideal location. I and the staff could not get wifi to work on my laptop or Iphone -- likely a setting issue -- so we used a nearby internet café.

Room Tip: The inner courtyard will be quieter than rooms overlooking the street -- although the street did not...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bacolod, Philippines
Reviewed July 4, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here on our first journey to Nuremburg.
Hotel Garni Probst is in a wonderful location this is few minutes walk will get you to the main transportation hub (bus, trams, underground and hauptbahnhof).
Located just inside one of the gates to old town, on wonderful street full of restaurants and shops so wonderfull.
All the staff I came across were polite and curteous with sniles all round. I wont go into specifics but I had a few requests, all which were carried out in full with smiles by the excellent staff. I'll go as far as saying the staff are the best asset to this hotel.
I will be returning and I would happily recommend this hotel to my colleagues, friends and family.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank joanne d
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Pros:
Super location
Great folks running it.
Breakfast in the a.m. was terrific!

Cons:
Rooms a bit on the Spartan side.
There was a nightclub opposite the hotel, which I was concerned would be noisy on our Saturday pm stay, but it was not. I didn't hear a thing that night.

Very good value, and would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 1st-timer2010
Northumberland, England
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I can only reiterate the comment made by an earlier contributor "not the most modern, but a wonderful family running it". The Probst family run a friendly establishment - big,quiet rooms, comfortable bed, excellent varied breakfast with (unusually) boiled eggs cooked to order. It is reached on the third floor up a quaint lift down an alley -but well enough signed so can't really be missed. It is well located close to the station and all the other attractions in Nuremberg (which is generally a walkable town).
The only negative aspect was a Eu5 charge per day per appliance to use Wi-Fi. Not really a problem. Such a modern development is a bit out of character with the place anyway. Nice to be taken back to the days when we could travel without thinking we needed to consult the internet all the time !

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traveller-on-Tyne
Carmichael, California
Reviewed May 8, 2014

The Garni Probst was great in the following ways: Location to station and historic center, (3 minute walk from either) price (75 Euro for double ensuite), breakfasts and quality of room. Our room was basic but on the larger size facing the interior. It was quiet and clean. Bathroom was on the larger size too. The staff was friendly and helpful. You can't go wrong staying at the Garni Probst. We would go back again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple