“Great staff and breakfasts”
Review of Hotel Garni Probst

Hotel Garni Probst
Ranked #36 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a lovely little family hotel in the old town in Nuremberg. It is very close to the train station so we were able to just walk across (even with our bags). The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The room prices are very good value. The location is also good for exploring the old town. (The immediate neighbours are a few “live show” venues, but as long as you are not offended by walking past these, they are not a problem.) The real highlights are the staff who are all extremely friendly and the breakfasts which should keep you full until lunchtime. This is a great place to stay and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CorvettePete
There are newer reviews for Hotel Garni Probst

Reviewed June 22, 2013

The 2 generations of this family-owned hotel made our stay here special. Suzanne Probst and her parents work hard to make sure all guests are happy. Our room (#209) was clean and quiet, and the breakfast, which is included in the room price, was very good. Great value. The hotel is in a great location with the central square, old churches and castle just 10-20 minute walks away, and easy to get to from the airport. (Take the U2 to the train station and walk to the hotel in less than 10 minutes.) Lots of restaurants and shops in the area. When we called later to say we forgot our adapter, they had already set it aside for us to pick up when we returned to Nuremberg. We would stay at this little hotel again.

Room Tip: We were in 209 which was large and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This tiny hotel is tucked away on the upper floor of a building right off of Konigstrasse. The room included a small seating area (rare for this part of the world in smaller hotels). the breakfast was great. Friendly, great service, great location and a great value. A definite recommend!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Laurie F
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have stayed in many Nuremberg hotels over the years and its always nice to try somewhere different. I would confidently recommend this super friendly family hotel at a very reasonable cost. My room # 203 cost 60 Euros with breakfast and all taxes. Bearing in mind I stayed there on the 15th May for four nights and this is the spring season.
The room was huge, immaculate, with nice pastel colours. Teak furniture and a 'walk-in' shower / toilet, again very clean. The housekeeping obviously take pride in their work. I understand from the owners that this hotel has been in the same family for at least 70 years! The building is about 130 years old and appears to have survived WW2.
The beds are typical German: two single beds on a 'double bed'. I found them very comfortable, then I like a firm bed. There is no internet facility or tea/coffee making facilities in the room. There is a small t.v with German channels only. For those travellers who must have CNN/Sky News/BBC24 then you will be disappointed. I always take my travel kettle and coffee/tea with me. If you want to buy a cheap travel kettel then you could visit the 'Galeria' store (basement) on Konigstrasse only 10 minutes away from the hotel. I suggest you bring your own radio as well. I like to listen to 'Classic fm' in the U.K. In Germany you might like to tune to 'Klassic radio' (around 98fm), if you like that type of music.
The breakfast is like enjoying a morning with the family. They make their own jam, the marmalade was quite delicious. You will be asked if you would like your egg hard or otherwise. Cold meats, cereals, bread, fruit, yogurt, fruit juice, coffee or tea etc.,The Probst family all speak excellent English and welcome your attempt to speak a little German if you wish. The hotel only provides breakfast. The area has so many restaurants, you will be spoilt for choice.
Other viewers have mentioned the area which the hotel is situated. Do not be concerned, the window in the bedrooms are 'double glazed'. I did not hear any unpleasant noise late at night and I am a light sleeper. When you approach the hotel from Luitpoldstasse you will see the hotel sign above an open area with no doors, walk to the rear which had a 'dead end'. On your left you will see a small lift with a button marked Hotel'. The lift is old, again do not be concerned,it will take you to an upper floor and the reception. Here the charming and most courteous Christiane (who speaks immaculate english) or a member of the Probst family will welcome you.
You will need to carry you suitcase to your room as their are no other lifts. Help is at hand if you request it.
I sent a email and received a very quick reply with an offer of room availabilty and cost. Their web site has no facility to pay a deposit 'on-line' so you will need to telephone them and give them your credit card details. No charge will be made until you depart, this is only to secure your room.
Nuremberg is a wonderful historic city, if you want to stay in a cosy hotel with genuine Bavarian hospitality, then this will be for you. I look forward to my next visit in the Autumn.
For those visitors arriving at Nuremberg airport: Exit the arrivals, go to the U Bahn ticket machine outside the terminal. The machine displays in many languages. Your 'One Way' ticket, (that is all you will need) will cost: 2.50 Euros. Take the stairs/lift down to the U Bhan.
The platform is U Bahn 2. The train will have the destination: 'Rotherbach'. Use this train until you reach the 'Hauptbhanhof' station. The stations are announced in both German and English. When you arrive at the Hauptbhanhof go up the escalator/lift to level one (1) then look for the sign 'Aldstadt' follow the direction, up the 'ramp' then you are in Konigstasse. Look to your left you will see the Victoria hotel then the Ibis, The next street on the left by 'Burger King' is Luitpoldstrasse. The hotel is on the left after about a two minute walk. Enjoy your visit.

Room Tip: My room as mentioned was #203 this overlooks Luitpoldstrasse, I found it most comfortable. It has a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Paul T
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Wonderful staff/owners and a lovely place to stay. Could walk entire old town from here. Very comfortable room. Fabulous free breakfast. Comments about "sex shows" nearby are overstated... a couple of harmless places nearby, but the entire area was very nice, family friendly, etc. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Check with hotel ahead of time to find parking ramp, nearby. Due to construction, hard to find hote...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel as a couple after I had spent the previous 3 nights in the InterCity Hotel nearby on business. This hotel was the complete opposite of an anonymous business hotel. We felt that we got to know the family/staff individually in a short period. Everyone was friendly and we felt very comfortable with them. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are well cleaned on a daily basis. The breakfast was also excellent. Our room (202) was very spacious and had a very comfortable bed - unlike many hotels in this price bracket. The location 25 metres from the main street into the heart of Nuremberg, 5mins walk from the central square, is also perfect for tourists. The minor drawbacks that may make this hotel not suitable for every traveller are that there are lap dancing bars further up the other side of the street (although the street still feels very safe and normal), the elevator is small & there is no AC for summer visitors. Overall though, it is a very good hotel and is excellent value.

Room Tip: Room 202 overlooked the main street, was huge and had a very comfortable bed.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheRobbs
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Unfortunately I did not end up staying here, but it was important for me to give a review of my interaction with this hotel. I contacted them via email in a very urgent manner and late in the day because we did not have anywhere to stay. Susanne replied very quickly in English and provided help. At the very last minute, our plans changed and we left Nuremberg so we did not stay here but based on the other reviews and Susanne's helpful reply, I will be sure to stay here when we pass through Nuremberg again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business