“Super Friendly Hotel and Service with Smile”
Review of Hotel Garni Probst

Hotel Garni Probst
Ranked #33 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
“Super Friendly Hotel and Service with Smile”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have stayed in many Nuremberg hotels over the years and its always nice to try somewhere different. I would confidently recommend this super friendly family hotel at a very reasonable cost. My room # 203 cost 60 Euros with breakfast and all taxes. Bearing in mind I stayed there on the 15th May for four nights and this is the spring season.
The room was huge, immaculate, with nice pastel colours. Teak furniture and a 'walk-in' shower / toilet, again very clean. The housekeeping obviously take pride in their work. I understand from the owners that this hotel has been in the same family for at least 70 years! The building is about 130 years old and appears to have survived WW2.
The beds are typical German: two single beds on a 'double bed'. I found them very comfortable, then I like a firm bed. There is no internet facility or tea/coffee making facilities in the room. There is a small t.v with German channels only. For those travellers who must have CNN/Sky News/BBC24 then you will be disappointed. I always take my travel kettle and coffee/tea with me. If you want to buy a cheap travel kettel then you could visit the 'Galeria' store (basement) on Konigstrasse only 10 minutes away from the hotel. I suggest you bring your own radio as well. I like to listen to 'Classic fm' in the U.K. In Germany you might like to tune to 'Klassic radio' (around 98fm), if you like that type of music.
The breakfast is like enjoying a morning with the family. They make their own jam, the marmalade was quite delicious. You will be asked if you would like your egg hard or otherwise. Cold meats, cereals, bread, fruit, yogurt, fruit juice, coffee or tea etc.,The Probst family all speak excellent English and welcome your attempt to speak a little German if you wish. The hotel only provides breakfast. The area has so many restaurants, you will be spoilt for choice.
Other viewers have mentioned the area which the hotel is situated. Do not be concerned, the window in the bedrooms are 'double glazed'. I did not hear any unpleasant noise late at night and I am a light sleeper. When you approach the hotel from Luitpoldstasse you will see the hotel sign above an open area with no doors, walk to the rear which had a 'dead end'. On your left you will see a small lift with a button marked Hotel'. The lift is old, again do not be concerned,it will take you to an upper floor and the reception. Here the charming and most courteous Christiane (who speaks immaculate english) or a member of the Probst family will welcome you.
You will need to carry you suitcase to your room as their are no other lifts. Help is at hand if you request it.
I sent a email and received a very quick reply with an offer of room availabilty and cost. Their web site has no facility to pay a deposit 'on-line' so you will need to telephone them and give them your credit card details. No charge will be made until you depart, this is only to secure your room.
Nuremberg is a wonderful historic city, if you want to stay in a cosy hotel with genuine Bavarian hospitality, then this will be for you. I look forward to my next visit in the Autumn.
For those visitors arriving at Nuremberg airport: Exit the arrivals, go to the U Bahn ticket machine outside the terminal. The machine displays in many languages. Your 'One Way' ticket, (that is all you will need) will cost: 2.50 Euros. Take the stairs/lift down to the U Bhan.
The platform is U Bahn 2. The train will have the destination: 'Rotherbach'. Use this train until you reach the 'Hauptbhanhof' station. The stations are announced in both German and English. When you arrive at the Hauptbhanhof go up the escalator/lift to level one (1) then look for the sign 'Aldstadt' follow the direction, up the 'ramp' then you are in Konigstasse. Look to your left you will see the Victoria hotel then the Ibis, The next street on the left by 'Burger King' is Luitpoldstrasse. The hotel is on the left after about a two minute walk. Enjoy your visit.

Room Tip: My room as mentioned was #203 this overlooks Luitpoldstrasse, I found it most comfortable. It has a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Paul T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Turkish first
St. George, Utah
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Wonderful staff/owners and a lovely place to stay. Could walk entire old town from here. Very comfortable room. Fabulous free breakfast. Comments about "sex shows" nearby are overstated... a couple of harmless places nearby, but the entire area was very nice, family friendly, etc. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Check with hotel ahead of time to find parking ramp, nearby. Due to construction, hard to find hote...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kinross
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel as a couple after I had spent the previous 3 nights in the InterCity Hotel nearby on business. This hotel was the complete opposite of an anonymous business hotel. We felt that we got to know the family/staff individually in a short period. Everyone was friendly and we felt very comfortable with them. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are well cleaned on a daily basis. The breakfast was also excellent. Our room (202) was very spacious and had a very comfortable bed - unlike many hotels in this price bracket. The location 25 metres from the main street into the heart of Nuremberg, 5mins walk from the central square, is also perfect for tourists. The minor drawbacks that may make this hotel not suitable for every traveller are that there are lap dancing bars further up the other side of the street (although the street still feels very safe and normal), the elevator is small & there is no AC for summer visitors. Overall though, it is a very good hotel and is excellent value.

Room Tip: Room 202 overlooked the main street, was huge and had a very comfortable bed.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheRobbs
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Unfortunately I did not end up staying here, but it was important for me to give a review of my interaction with this hotel. I contacted them via email in a very urgent manner and late in the day because we did not have anywhere to stay. Susanne replied very quickly in English and provided help. At the very last minute, our plans changed and we left Nuremberg so we did not stay here but based on the other reviews and Susanne's helpful reply, I will be sure to stay here when we pass through Nuremberg again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Caz H
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Great location inside wall of old city. Near town square, and many sops, food, cafes. Has very small elevator that you must take to get to entrance of lobby area. Breakfast good, staff helpful. Good value for little cost. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Front rooms some noise from street. Room 202 was our room in front, would ask for room again. Shower...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank tkcincinnati
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We chose this hotel because of its location that is close to the train station (considering we had big luggage to haul). It is still within comfortable walking distance to the main square, only 5 minutes if you don't stop looking at the stores. The hotel is small but managed professionally. The elevator is old and very small but it was not a problem during our stay except probably when there are many people wanting to use it then you have to wait a long time.
Room is very spacious and bathroom is very clean. You have to pay for the wifi but it's not expensive (i believe it's EUR 5 for 24 hours). Breakfast is great with lots of selection. You were attended from the time you sit down, whether you want coffee or tea, hard boiled or soft boiled egg. The room we stayed was in lower level and the hotel doesn't have elevator but the staff are happy to help you carry the luggage.
Despite its location which is close to a few clubs, it is very quiet. Overall it's a good value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Girllivant
Forster, Australia
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I booked this hotel back in March for me and my mum to to go the Christmas markets as it was so reasonably priced for two single rooms, had good reviews and was an excellent location right by the main station.

Now when we arrived, the lift was very old and the main area was looking a bit tired, but once we got into our rooms they were really well laid out, a great size and I loved the little couch so I could watch tv.

The bathroom was clean, an ok size and had all the amenities you could need.

Now onto the breakfast, oh my word, this could not have been any better - from the breadrolls, the delicious cereals, juice, eggs, fresh fruit, just the wide selection of foods, it was such a great way to start the day - we loved it.

A highlight for us was the evening attendant at the hotel, with his great stories about Australians and his Judy Garland references!

I would highly recommend staying at this hotel, it really added to the wonderful experience that was Nürnberg and the Christmas Markets.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family