“Excellent 4 night stop over!”
Review of Hotel Garni Probst

Hotel Garni Probst
Ranked #33 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Virginia
“Excellent 4 night stop over!”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

This smaller family owned-operated hotel is in the perfect location in Nurenberg! It is very close to train station and all transportation to local sites. Don't let the street entrance appearance scare you as it changes once you go up the elevator to the true hotel hall way and small lobby. We were met at the elevator by Herr Probst, the dad/owner, who was very friendly and welcoming, as he greeted us by our name! He speaks some English and assured us we would like the room that was ready, as it would be very quiet. It was also no smoking and he quickly found 2 extra pillows for us. Room #209 was large,with a small table + 2 chairs and a lounge-type couch. The large bed was so very comfortable with excellent linens and the modern bath was spotless! The daily breakfast is beautifully served & plentiful with many slections! Mom Elizabeth & daughter Suzanne speak very fluent English and were helpful, courteous and always cheerful! If you are looking for a fancy plush hotel this may not work for you but if you want a warm German experience while you visit Nuremberg then this is the place!

Room Tip: Ask for room on the back courtyard
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Turkish first
Taguig, Philippines
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Nurnberg was a last minute decision for us just to break the long train ride from cologne to prague. And what a blessing we did that because Nurnberg is a wonderful charming old town and Hotel Garni Probst is the perfect place to stay. They are located in the most charming part of town, very near the train station where you get to have the "old feel" of the place. Everything is within easy walking distance.

The owners serve a huge array of breakfast unlike any other small hotels. The staff are all very friendly, courteous and helpful, it is no wonder so many people wrote compliments about them that they tacked onto their wall of fame.

Nurnberg and Hotel garni Probst may very well be one of the highlights and favorites of our entire 30 days around Europe trip.

PS. I especially love the whimsical toilet paper roll they have in the bathroom that i took one roll with me and replaced it with a plain one :p

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kimerald_Evangelista
Sacramento, California
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I arrived in Nuremberg in mid May, cold rainy and grey. I was directed to this hotel by the very friendly tourist staff, and I was happy to stay there. The owners were happy to chat with you about anything, they offered me a few rooms to see and when the size I wanted was only in the smoking section, they found a larger room in the non smoking area for the same low price. I shared the bath and shower, but they were kept immaculately clean, I had a sink in my room with towels and soap, a nice warm radiator heater, two firm mattresses, and lots of room and lights. I had no problem finding everything in the city, as the staff recommended good restaurants, lebkuchen, wiener schnitzel and neat things to see. I had a terrific breakfast every day. The buffet had fresh bread and rolls of multiple types, sweet breads homemade, and the jams that were homemade were delicious, don't skip them! There were yoghurt with cereals, eggs to order, and I couldn't eat all that was available. I can't say enough good about this place. When I arrived there, an Aussie family was leaving and they were raving, so that gave me more good hope. When we go back, I plan on staying there longer, nice staff, made me feel at home!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne
Reviewed February 20, 2011

We arrived in Nuremberg around 10am after a long flight from Australia to Frankfurt, followed by a train from the airport to Nuremberg. We were tired and hopeful that the hotel would allow us to leave our bags so we could wander around town before check in. Instead, we were shown to our room immediately, which was a huge relief.

The room itself was large, well equipped, good value (around 70e) and spotless. The style was a little dated (although slightly charming) but that didn't bother us at all - cleanliness of comfort were of greater importance at that time, and we were only staying for one night.

The location was great, being close to the station and within the old town, and although there was a very slight seediness to the surrounding area it was nothing to worry about. Our room overlooked an internal courtyard and was very quiet. The hotel has a lift so no stairs to deal with.

The breakfast was one of the better we had at this price range - nothing amazing about it but everything was fresh and high quality.

The only downside was the lack of free wi-fi. It's available but for a price (I think 4e for 12 hours or something similar). This was the only time we came across this during a month in Europe.

The best part of our stay were the friendly staff (I believe it's a family-run hotel). These people really care about their business, which showed in the state of the room, the standard of the breakfast, and the general friendliness whenever we spoke to them. Not sure if I'll ever visit Nuremberg again (although it's a lovely city) but if I did I'd stay at Hotel Garni Probst, no doubt about it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trentus72
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed January 8, 2011

Stayed here with wife and granddaughter age 15 December 16-18, 2010. A short walk of only a few minutes from the Hauptbahnhof so if you have luggage with wheels or only backpacks, no problem. Had a room for three with our own bath on the same floor as the breakfast area. Room was clean, comfortable, and adequate space for the three of us. Breakfast is good with more than adequate selection of items. Hotel is easy walking distance from major sites including the old square, which, when we were there, is the site of the largest Christmas market in Germany. The only site you'll need the tram for is the nazi party rally grounds and documentation center which is a short ride on tram 9. Catch it in front of the Hauptbahnhof, only a few minutes walk away. The Probst family that runs this hotel does a great job and aim to please. This is where we will stay anytime we go to Nürnberg. I highly recommended it

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Rod571
Arlington, VA
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Hotel Garni Probst is a great value for lodging in Nuremberg. Our room was spacious, with a large bed and a sofa. The bathroom was fine; we didn't mind the small shower. Located right inside the wall, on the side of town near the train station, the Hotel was quiet, despite the businesses nearby that might have indicated otherwise. The breakfast selections were ample and my husband and I judged the coffee the best of any we had at hotels during our visit to Germany. The only negatives were that there was no hair dryer in the room and the room was too hot during the night.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arlingtontravel
Singapore
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Garni Probst is a recommendation in the lonely Planet guide to Germany. Located in the fringes of the old town (small enough to walk everywhere within the town) just next to the handwerkerhof, it is a family-run place.

Service is excellent. Franconian hospitality is not all what it was made out to be in the streets of Nuremberg but within this little 'garni' the service staff were warm and this really made us feel at home. Susanne was always there to see if we needed anything. The breakfast area is cosy and painstakingly prepared every morning by the family. Rooms were spacious and clean, and were of good value as well.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple