“Best sausage platter (that I have had) in Munich”
Review of Zum Franziskaner

Zum Franziskaner
Ranked #328 of 3,943 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: German
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The traditional Bavarian restaurant "Zum Franziskaner" is operated by the Reinbold family since April 1966. Together with approx. 120 members of staff and the 35 people strong kitchen team, this family run business looks after all the culinary needs of their customers. The perfect mix of different styles make this place a meeting point for connoisseurs of high class food, local and international celebrities, business people and lovers of a cherished Bavarian light meal - the Franziskaner the only large scale restaurant in Munich with a toque in the Gault & Millau. Our cherished Bavarian food is known worldwide for Weißwürste and Franziskaner mustard as well as our beer specialities. Come on in and see for yourself. The Reinbold family welcomes you to the Franziskaner!
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very nice restaurant with few completely different style "zones". I liked their sausage platter the best that I have had in Munich and I have had quite many. Also I like Franziskaner Hefeweizen and Dunkel a lot.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,249)

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Recommended by the concierge at The Charles Hotel. Food was fantastic ! We had the mushroom soup, weinerschnitzel and apple strudel (which I continue to dream of.) if we return to Munich, it would be the first stop. It is across from the Opera.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

As the Spatenhaus is closed for renovations, we were heartbroken but had to rally and find an alternative, so I found this was recommended for it's Bavarian cuisine by the Michelin guide. Now, I should be clear that we reserved a table online in the restaurant part, not in the biergarten or the bit facing the Staatsoper with outside tables, it's a bigger place than you think. There were lots of German families eating there already and the place really filled up, so probably best to make a reservation.

The waitress was very helpful, prompt, patient with my rusty German and polite. Since the menu is quite big and lots looked good, it took us a while to decide.
As a general tip with Munich, get a German menu rather than the tourist ones since they do not have all the dishes and never show the seasonal dishes or daily specials, I imagine it would be tiresome to constantly translate those.

Everyone's dishes were superb, the portions were big and came with lovely sides. We sadly could not managed starters or dessert but left feeling full and happy. I can imagine this would be a very cosy place in the winter.

1  Thank clairelybelgian
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have taken 2 Wienerschnitzel thinking that the price was 18.50 euro as written on the Italian menu they took us but as finally surprise on the bill we payd 24.50 euro each and the meat was completely row! When I payd the unpolite blonde Frau Stock asked us to pay the gratuity!!! When I answered that we weren't happy about the expensive and not good dinner she went away screwing "I am not the cook I am the service"!!
Unaccettable for a so expensive Restaurant!!!
I am friend of many people in Munich who will know how horrible Restaurant it is!!!!
Never go there please!
Thanks to Frau Stock for bad service and for this stolen money :-/////

3  Thank Nick364
Reviewed July 17, 2013

i come to Munich once a year and this is a must visit for me. i like the atmosphere and the authentic bavarian cuisine .... there leberkaese is super !

Reinbold_KG, Manager at Zum Franziskaner, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to "Zum Franziskaner" and we hope to welcome you again very soon in our restaurant.