“Truly Bavarian”

Reserve a Table
Bookatable
Ranked #110 of 4,396 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The restaurant is located in the very heart of Germany´s secret capital - the Marienplatz of Munich. There is no way you will get more down-town, since the Ratskeller is located in the cellar of the new town hall - built in the late 19th century... There are few places where you get to see more history while enjoying some of Munich´s best traditional dishes... We certainly do offer vegan and vegetarian meals, too. Approx. 20% of our menu consists of meat-free food. We really hope to see you here soon!
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Truly Bavarian. My wife and I had lunch. Good service. Good food. Good location. And it is absolutely HUGE!

Date of visit: September 2019
RKMarienplatz, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Ratskeller Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Guest,
thank you for your visit and your friendly comment.
We hope to welcome you next time again.
Yours sincerely

Write a reviewReviews (5,323)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Its worth the visit. A piece of German history rolled into a restaurant. Food was excellent and really not that expensive. The service is very attentive.

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your visit. It was a pleasure for us and we will be glad to welcome you again next time.

Kindly Regards

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This place rocks! Excellent sauces. Schnitzel was amazing. Great wines at great prices. Some of the best food I’ve had in Germany.

Dear Guest,
thank you very much fr your visit and your amazing feedback.
We will be glad to welcome you next time you will be back in town!
Kindly Regards

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We came here for our final meal in Munich based on all the good reviews. The atmosphere is really cosy and we had a nice booth style table. Service was typically German in style; efficient but not particularly friendly. We didn't realise quite how big this restaurant was when we arrived, it seats over 1000 covers, but you would never imagine this as areas are really well sectioned. Prices were quite high for the type of food it was I thought. We found the food to be ok, nothing special. When the bill came we wanted to pay with card and we were told we had to write what tip we were giving on the bill in quite an aggressive manner. I informed our waitress that we intended to leave a tip in cash. I then had to walk all the way to the back of the restaurant to pay as the machine didn't work. I tried to make conversation with the waitress but she wasn't friendly at all. I have never been anywhere where I have been ordered to tip, we found this shocking behaviour. We won't be returning.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

One of the first things I do when visiting Munich, after checking into my hotel, is to have lunch at the Ratskeller, a truly great restaurant, and that is what I did upon arriving in the Bavarian capital a little over a week ago. I have dined in the restaurant proper and in the Rathaus courtyard - both are great dining venues. On my most recent visit I sat insied and had my usual - Wiener schnitzel with fried potatoes and a mixed salad, accompanied with a couple of glasses of beer. The food is delicious, the service is attentive and efficient, and the ambiance is appropriately Bavarian.