“typical bavarian restaurant.”
Review of Ratskeller Munchen

Ratskeller Munchen
Ranked #34 of 3,876 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The restaurant is located in the very heart of Germany´s secret capital - the Marienplatz of Munich. There is no way you will get more down-town, since the Ratskeller is located in the cellar of the new town hall - built in the late 19th century... There are few places where you get to see more history while enjoying some of Munich´s best traditional dishes... We certainly do offer vegan and vegetarian meals, too. Approx. 20% of our menu consists of meat-free food. We really hope to see you here soon!
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This restaurant is just underneath Marienplatz. Portions are big as is everything in Germany but the schnitzel my husband had was the best. I had huxa and sausages and again it was good food.
Beer and and wine were fine and the restaurant itself is typical Bavarian and very cute. This place is massive but it was full when we were there.

Would recommend for the experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,038)

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stumbled across the Ratskeller as we first entered the main square in Munich , the courtyard is away from the crowds and noise of the square, even though the festival was on in the square it was still quiet and romantic in the courtyard.the service was a little slow, but it was extremely busy, the food, good hearty Bavarian fair, I was disappointed that the black Forrest cake was sold out, the apple strudel finished of the meal.
Prices are good considering location.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I think we expected more from such a location.
I think we expected more from high prices.
The restaurant is very large, rooms with different specifics.
But the atmosphere isnt right.
Much excitement, noise, waiters bit disoriented.
Total unladylike.
Food pretty good, but much better place.
It is typical Bavarian. Beautiful specifics, but that's all.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Cavernous, huge menu, good beer choices. Great atmosphere, worth the visit.Right at the Marienplatz.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

My daughter and I were in Munich recently, and after watching the Glockenspiel characters dance around it was soon time for lunch. The Ratskeller is conveniently located beneath the New City Hall where the Glockenspiel is. Upon entering the restaurant it appeared very pleasant and inviting. Even though it is quite large it had a warm, cozy atmosphere due to the many different areas or sections in the restaurant - so it never felt like you were dining in one huge cavernous hall. It was a very charming and potentially fun place. There was a large group of soccer fans seated near us due to the big soccer match taking place that weekend.
The food was good: my daughter ordered sausages while I had the sauerbraten and both meals were quite tasty. While the rest of the staff we encountered were friendly I was not impressed with our waitress. She didn't come to ask if we were satisfied with our food or if we needed anything else, such as a drink refill. Then, when I requested the bill it was a very long wait before it ever arrived. When she finally did show up with the bill she remained standing at the table expecting immediate payment! The nerve of her. While this waitress was not very well trained or good at her job, I did enjoy the restaurant and the food, so I still recommend the restaurant. It is a nice Bavarian experience.
This very annoying practice of wait-staff presenting the bill and then standing there, expecting the customer to hurriedly (or perhaps not at all) look over the bill and then hand over payment wasn't entirely uncommon in restaurants throughout Germany. Each time I would just politely tell them, "No, not just yet". They would then go about their way and I could then review the bill without someone hovering over me.