“If you are Looking for an Authentic Beer Hall Munich this is the Place”
Review of Zum Augustiner

Zum Augustiner
Ranked #92 of 3,813 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Had a few meals here throughout our trip to Munich and every time it was an authentic and interesting experience. The first meal we had at the restaurant, there was a group of 30 of us. We were put in our own private room upstairs and received excellent service. The waiter was very patient with our entire group. We were all very jet lagged and exhausted from traveling around Munich during the day. The beer was very good and the menu provided a number of authentic German meal options. Since this was our first meal at a German restaurant, we all ordered different dishes and we shared our dishes. The second meal we had at the restaurant was during the evening of the 2013 European Final game where there are 2 German teams in the finale. This experience was a little different but we had just as much fun. The hall was completely filled with German soccer fans chanting and singing chants. The waiter again was very patient (since it was absolute chaos inside) and he was very friendly. The food was okay and was a good sample of German cuisine. We visited during asparagus season and we had some amazing asparagus soup during our trip at the hall. Beware they do charge you per pretzel they put on the table at the beginning of your meal.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We had dinner at Augustiner and it was pretty good. My wife's spinach dumplings were very good. My one-half chicken was good but more dry than I would have liked. Both of our salads and the asparagus cream soup were excellent. One item to note is all tables have a basket of pretzels. We didn't know until after the meal we were charged EUR .95 per pretzel. I didn't care about the price but it was a pretty sneaky trick. We had a Mosel wine which was very good and reasonably priced. Our server had a lot to learn about how to get a tip from Americans. A little bit of a pleasant attitude might have gotten him 20% (not typical in Europe). Instead it was a struggle to leave anything.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I used to like this restaurant for its hearty Bavarian menu and nice beer selection, but as a result of the following conversation today with a gentleman with black hair, heavy Russian accent and outright hostile demeanor in the upstairs seating area, today's visit was likely to be my last one.

'Excuse me, can I please get a menu?'

'You eat quick and leave.'

'....pardon me?'

'You eat quick and leave. Table reserve at six.'

'Thanks, but I'm not sure I want to eat here anymore. And why don't you put out a "Reserved" sign?'

'Other table sign it says 17 people.'

'I don't know what the sign on the other table says, but this table has no sign on it.'

'Napkins are put like this means table reserve.'

'Oh really. I'm glad I get to learn some trade secrets tonight.'

'You should ask if table reserve.'

'I did, your colleague told me to sit here.'

'...table reserve. Eat quick and leave.'

....so I decided to skip the eating part, and discovered a wonderful little restaurant by Isartor instead. I would hereby like to thank the management of Augustiner for nudging me towards diversifying, while at the same time helping me narrow down my restaurant choices in Munich.

2  Thank wakanaman
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is huge and is located in a very nice building in a very good area and with an interesting design. The food is ok, the staff is nice and the dishes came so quickly that we could not believe it. The place worths the visit, but do not expect to be surprised. Too much turistic for me.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I was in Munich May 2013 and found this wonderful restaurant with beautiful chestnut trees everywhere. Lots of outdoor seating available. The trees actually provided enough over so that we did not get wet when it rained during our meal. The inside of the restaurant was also very authentic. The wait staff were very helpful explaining the German menu items to an American family. Service was very fast and I cannot say enough about how delicious the food was. I am not a beer drinker, but the beer here was so good that I even enjoyed a glass. You can get a meal for a very reasonable price, or you can spend a lot of money, your choice.