“pleasently surprised”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Food was tasty and filling, and was not too expensive.
Service was cheerful and quite fast, and they make a good margerita.
Cant really ask for much more than that.

There are newer reviews for El Gordo Loco

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I visited this restaurant three times, each time for a different dish. I tried fajitas, the Maradona hamburger, and the surf and turf. All delicious. The servers and cooks are very friendly and they visit tables to check on your food too. I tried a pretentious Mexican restaurant in Viktualienmarkt. They should visit this kitchen to learn about mixing spices, cooking meats, and plating.

1  Thank IndySevenSeas
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We went to this place and the atmosphere is fun and lively and the service was good and the staff very friendly. That is the good part because we had a good time and they have delicious drinks. however, this is NOT MEXICAN FOOD, there is nothing Mexican besides the guacamole. I repeat: this is not Mexican food, this is German/South American Mexican food. We got the fajitas (normally chicken, onion, and peppers) and they had zucchini? Everything has corn in it, something I find unfortunately common in Germany. I would go here for the atmosphere, but I would never go here expecting Mexican food, since the menu is full of burgers (?) and chicken wings. Also, you can tell from the reviews on trip advisor that there are no Mexicans saying it's good Mexican food. Everyone is from Spain and Germany, two places which are unfortunately unfamiliar and quite far from Mexico, and I hate to say, don't understand the difference. I lived in Mexico and my family is Mexican and know you could never bring a Mexican here to eat. However, I want to repeat, they are nice, and if you just want some nachos and burgers and a margarita, it's the right place.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

It has a small, local and latino feel, the place. the bar is cramped but Food is quite good as the owner is also overseeing the kitchen and takes no compromise here.
There is a small number of other bars to go, but this is it, Lehel is a boring area.
so we are glad the Gordo Loco is there.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

The quality was similar to fast food without the speed. The restaurant was full, we shared the table with another couple! Only one waitress to serve circa 40 people and one barman to sort drinks out. I specifically asked my food to be onion free (I asked twice in English and once in German!) and had to send it back to the kitchen as it contained lots of onions! I ate tacos which were really rich and too greasy for my liking. My husband had a burger though he said the meat was pretty tasteless. I would not go back nor would I recommend this restaurant to anyone!