“Mexican in Munich. Muy bueno!”
Review of El Gordo Loco

El Gordo Loco
Ranked #224 of 3,902 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 6, 2012

After 10 days in Europe (Prague, Berlin, Munich) we couldn't take any more fried meat or potatoes! Read the other reviews on this place on TripAdvisor and everyone was right! Really great chili powder chips, good guac and a tasty sour cream. We had the chicken fajitas and chicken quesadilla, both were very good. It was a fantastic change and much needed. It was a easy 4 minute stroll from Isartor stop down a few side roads.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were tired of eating German food so we decided to try out some Mexican food. I didn't have high hopes but I was pleasantly surprised. The chicken fajitas were amazing. Some of the best I have had.

The staff and owner are super friendly and we got some complimentary shots after our meal. What a great experience. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend or go back to this place anything. I just wish it was in my hometown.

1  Thank Scott S
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Finding truly great Mexican food in Germany has proven to be a bit of a challenge but we tried this place on the recommendation of our tour guide for the Dachau concentration camp and it was by far the best recommendation we've received. We sampled chicken quesadillas, chili con carne, and a steak burrito and every single dish was wonderful. By far the best Mexican food we have found in Germany, it even beats several of our favorites from the states. If you visit Munich, do not leave before you eat at this place. Only downside...parking in Munich is a nightmare so it may take you a bit of time to find reasonable parking if you are driving. Also, one tip given by the staff...if you want to visit on a Friday or Saturday night, make a reservation as they are always packed.

1  Thank gallardo_ohana
Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

This place is a great surprise! We have lived in Germany for two years and tried every Mexican place we've found; this is easily the best!! English menu, takes Visa, great caipirinha. Try the shrimp fajitas and guacamole. Only complaint: value can't be 5 of 5 when salsa portions are so small.

1  Thank WKK10
Reviewed June 7, 2012

El Gordo Loco is THE place for Mexican food in Munich! We are native Texans and we obviously know our Mexican food - this was GOOD and well worth the walk from our hotel, all the way across Marienplatz! Luckily we had our hotel call a few hours earlier and they were able to find us a short period of time when we could dine, but otherwise they were booked solid that Friday night.

We didn't try the margaritas so I cannot comment on that, but the food was amazing. We started with chips/pico de gallo/guacamole/sour cream dip - very authentic and very fresh. The chips had chili powder on them, which was a nice touch.

My husband and I shared chicken fajitas which were absolutely delicious and a huge portion. I've never had grilled zucchini in fajitas before, but it worked! They even gave us both flour and corn tortillas upon request. My mother had the baked potato with fajita beef on top and again, it was very, very good. The beef pieces reminded me of bistek - very flavorful and a huge portion again.

It was a very nicely decorated restaurant - understated and dark, and was authentic enough for this Texan! The owner, Martin, came out and visited with us then sent us shots of what they called "cinnamon tequila" - I would likely refer to it as Cinnamon Schnapps or Goldschlager minus the gold. But it was a very nice gesture on his part.

This was our second attempt at Mexican food in Munich over the past two years ,and we definitely made the right decision by choosing El Gordo Loco!

2  Thank RooCeleste