“Good food but slightly overrated”
Review of Lemar

Lemar
Ranked #858 of 3,746 Restaurants in Munich
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Munich, Germany
“Good food but slightly overrated”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I was at Lemar a couple of weeks back with one my wife and one of my colleagues' family on his recommendation. I liked the restaurant which has sort of ethnic feel with Indian music playing in background from 1990s. They have a good menu and fairly decent spread. Their lamb dishes are delicious which is typical of any Afghan restaurant. The service is efficient and the waitress was courteous and attentive. The prices are slightly high(about €86 for 4 people) but quality is good. I would recommend this restaurant as one of good Afghan places in Munich, however, it's not the European version of traditional, rich Afghan food.

• Visited September 2013

Breckenridge, Colorado
“Delicious”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

One of our favorite places to eat during our trip to Germany. Food was delicious. Would highly recommend it. Better to make a reservation or you risk not getting a table

Visited August 2013
Midwest
“Cozy, delicious and different”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This delightful restaurant is a short walk from Isator/Marienplatz area and well worth the stroll. We went on the early side, just before 7 p.m., since we didn't have a reservation and had heard the restaurant wasn't large. The manager greeted us warmly, adjusted a table or two, and found room for our small party. Good thing, because by 7:30 there wasn't a spare square inch in the house. The decor is warm and colorful, with beautiful fabrics and cozy pillows, and the waiters were friendly and patient with our dreadful command of the German language. Several spoke English and helped us out, and they do have an English menu. The food was just great - varied spices and interesting dishes; we had a gorgeous lamb stew, rice pilaf and kebabs that were perfectly seasoned with just a kick of heat. The two side condiments let us adjust the volume on the heat. Our waiter was friendly and a bit of a jokester, handing my my dessert menu in Pashto, so of course we had a good chuckle over that. He seemed surprised that we had found the restaurant and really appreciated the fact that we had gone out of our way to vary our dining experience and find them. We shared both desserts, which were just fabulous...a baklava that was out of this world, and a perfect pudding that seemed to be rice/pistachio/cardomom combination that was one of the best things I've ever eaten. A wonderful spot.

• Visited July 2013
Poznan, Wielkopolskie, Poland
“Perfect”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I've been to many restaurants in recent weeks and this was certainly one of the best. The composition of ingredients was just perfect - you just couldn't imagine anything to be better. All quite spicy yet not "burning", even my wife who doesn't like hot found it great and cleared her plate. The look - colorful and so attractive you couldn't stand it even if you're not hungry. I will certainly go there when I am next time in Munich.

• Visited June 2013
Munich, Germany
“A different world in the centre of Munich”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The Lemar has been in Brunnstraße for quite a while now, and the atmosphere is still great thanks to the pleasant decoration (oriental but not exaggerated). Booking is recommended as the restaurant is rather small and mostly crowded.

The food is delicious and reminds a bit of Indian cuisine. The pumpkin in particular is worth mentioning. It's a starter and it's always very particular.

Prices in Lemar a higher than in other Afghan or Indian restaurants, but the food is worth it and one should not forget that it is rather centrally located (between Sonnen- and Sendlingerstraße). I can definitely recommend this spot and hope the chef will manage to keep the good standard in the future too.

• Visited September 2012