“Spatenhaus has location, atmosphere and fine food: Sehr gemuetlich!”
Review of Spatenhaus

Spatenhaus
Ranked #42 of 3,746 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: German
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A traditional institution at Max-Joseph-Platz, in perfect harmony with the Bavarian National Theatre, Residence and Palais an der Oper. The Munich citizen goes to Spatenhaus with his family, and he invites his business partners to our restaurant, for special events. On the ground floor our restaurant leaves a down-to-earth impression, the four rooms on the top floor are more elegant. The restaurant stands for exclusive hospitality and exquisite traditional German cuisine. Old Bavarian dishes enrich the menu card on the ground floor. On the top floor the kitchen crew offers its guests a more differentiated menu, taking individual requirements into account. Exquisite fish cuisine, classic dishes of Bavarian and Austrian cuisine supplement each other, thus catering perfectly for all tastes. If the weather is dry, the terrace on the Residenzstrasse fills rapidly and is a truly wonderful location to experience typical Munich culture until late at night.
Southborough, Massachusetts, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Spatenhaus has location, atmosphere and fine food: Sehr gemuetlich!”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Spatenhaus is located in Munich Center near Marienplatz on the square directly across from the Opera House. Its a great walking location and convenient to stop in for dinner after a day shopping or touring the Platz. I've tried a number of dishes but my companion always sticks to her Wiener Schnitzel (excellent, BTW). Actually I usually have wine here (try the Burgunder) since bier is a specialty everywhere else. Atmosphere is pleasant, although it can be pretty crowded at the meal rush. Large tables will be commandeered for multiple parties at those times.

• Visited December 2012
Wolfram S, social media management at Spatenhaus, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear "Jim B", thank you very much for the kind and friendly review on your stay.
Best wishes from the Spatenhaus an der Oper in Munich

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
La Jolla, California
“Wonderful traditional Bavarian restaurant”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Since we ate lunch here during Oktoberfest, we were able to try a sampler which included 4 different traditional specialties. Even though I'm not a big meat eater, everything was fantastic. Fortunately, we were with a friend who speaks German and was able to explain the menu to us. It is one of her favorite restaurants in this area of town. I would definitely eat here again.

• Visited September 2013
Wolfram S, social media management at Spatenhaus, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear "kathylynne1", thank you very much for your kind recommendation. We apologize for our service-team, which should have offered an English menu. Please feel free to ask for one - if your waiter happens to miss out on this again.
With our best wishes from the Spatenhaus an der Oper in Munich
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Traditional Germany Meals”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

They serve the traditional Germany meals. Saubraten, Veal snitzel , Spaten makes their own beer thats not as good as other Munich beers. Still good. Food is very good and so is the atmosphere. One time we couldn't get in the restaurant becauce Putin and Angela Merkel were eating there.

• Visited October 2012
Wolfram S, social media management at Spatenhaus, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear "Vanh33", thank you for your kind feedback. Due to some renovations on our historic building, we had to close the restaurant - but will be reopening for (during?) the Oktoberfest. Maybe this would be a good time to see us; Mrs. Merkel and Mr. Putin would probably be in a beertent at that time. best wishes from the Spatenhaus in Munich
Zagreb
“bavarian restaurant”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

OMG!You can eat bavarian specialties, food is excellent, atmosphere is great.
My husband eats steak in every restaurant (I am not a big fan as he is), but this one was amazing! I tried it, and meat was melting in my mouth! It was the best ever! I also recommend apfelstrudel for desert, and Radler or Rusen(mix of bier and sprite) for drink. Big bavarian specialty is white sausage served with pretzel and sweet mustard. hmmmmmm...my favorite!

• Visited October 2012
Wolfram S, social media management at Spatenhaus, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Lana, thank you very much for your kind feedback. We are looking forward to reopening (after renovations on the historic building) at the end of this summer. Hope to have you visit us again. Best wishes from the Spatenhaus an der Oper in Munich
New York City, New York
“My favorite restaurant in Munich!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I've been to Munich more than 20 times in the past 15 years and I ALWAYS make a point of eating at the Spatenhaus at least once (usually twice) during my stay. Yes, as some other reviewers have noted, it IS a little more expensive (but really only a little) than comparable places, but the location, food and atmosphere make it all worthwhile. If I had any complaint it would be that I dearly miss the tomato soup they used to offer. Other than that, I love the place. The patrons tend to dress a little nicer (it IS across the street from the Opera), but it's still a casual place. But the food is why I come here. All the Bavarian dishes are great -- and authentic too. The wiener schnitzel is the best you'll find anywhere, but my favorite is the spanfaerkel (roast suckling pig). Even their salads are wonderful. Service is never a problem and, over the years, I've found the waiters are trying more than ever to communicate well with English-speaking customers. But don't think this is a "tourist" spot. You'll find lots of locals as well as people from all over the world coming here -- everyone knows this is a great place to eat well. I've been there with just my wife and (often) as part of a party of 5-6 people, and the results are always the same: everyone can't wait to go back! But don't get shut out -- make a reservation as the place gets busy after 7pm.

• Visited February 2013
Dear Robert, thank you very much for your kind review. We had to close our house due to renovations on the water system in the historic building. BUT when re-opening at the end of the summer i hope that we can put the tomato-soup you asked for on the menu again. Best wishes from the Spatenhaus an der Oper in Munich