“Nothing special”

Tambosi
Cuisines: German, International, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We came here because Cafe Tambosi is in (almost) every guidebook, and it was suggested by my guidebook as well. I have to specify that I only had coffee (and a croissant) so I can't judge the food. It is traditional -indeed-, one of the oldest cafes in Munich and in a very nice location, right next to Residenz museum, in Odeonsplatz. This is where the good news stop. The coffee is nothing special, there are plenty of other coffee shops in Munich that serve better quality coffee. The service is far from good, our waitress couldn't help us in deciding what to have for brunch (luckily she brought the coffees soon enough, not like other reviews I read). Maybe in the summer, with a view of Hofgarten, is a better choice.

2  Thank maikol77

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stumbled upon Tambosi and while on the one hand, I'm glad we did, I wish it could have been a better discovery. The cafe is one of the oldest in Munich and is absolutely charming from the parquet floors to the mismatched armchairs at many of the tables. You seat yourself wherever there is open space and have to wait to be noticed to have your order taken. The server in our section was obviously very hurried and acted quite rude towards us, so instead of staying for drinks and a meal, we had the bruschetta and scrammed. The food was delicious and I would have loved to have stayed longer.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Had lunch in Tambosi at the end of November and found the staff efficient, helpful and polite. Speaking very little Deutsch I was glad of this. We oredered food from the set lunch menu (16euros) and it was delicious. My first visit but will call again next time I'm in Munich. Surprised at some of the previous reviews.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Came out of a visit to the Residenz in need of a seat and a refreshment. Wandered in here to find a bustling, cosy cafe bar. Had a couple of panini's and a fab piece of apple strudel and custard washed down by a coffee and then stayed for a glass of wine seeing as we were so relaxed! After looking it up on here to write a review I would not have recognized the place from some of the previous reviews.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was there with a friend of mine and:
- we waited 30 min before a waiter came
- we asked 2 coffees
- he came after 30 with only one coffee without providing any sugar
- the other coffee came 20 minutes later after I asked several times

conclusion:
- the quality of the served coffee is terrible, one of the worst I ever tried
- one of the worst service I ever had
- nice location, a pity that a such kind of awful bar is there

1  Thank Highbury_85