“nice location, unbelievably bad management”
Review of Starbucks

Starbucks
Ranked #37 of 99 Coffee & Tea in Munich
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Starbucks odeonsplatz suffers from the bavarian service disease. The service model in munich, capital of bavaria, is "more price, minimal service". I work a lot at this cafe, which is a sign of how bad cafe situation is in Munich. I came to starbucks odeonplatz today and found third week in a row no power to the outlets. I just returned from Freetown, Sierra Leone, a country among the least developed in the world and had no problem finding wifi and power outlets. So why is it so hard for this starbucks to have outlets that work??? Simple answer is likely that the manager was applying the munich model of service - where service industry graduates from the FU school of service. Why provide free power to our clients? "They must buy our coffee and food and get nothing free. NOTHING.". This also explains why Starbucks Odeonsplatz can't keep soap stocked in the bathrooms. "Bring your own soap, peasant.".

Literally, there is ONE cafe in munich that has: 1) good service, 2) free wifi that works (don't believe San Francisco coffee chain in munich - wifi never works), 3) power outlets. That Cafe is Beanbar on schellingstr near Universitat ubahn. Shhh. It's my secret so please don't spread the word. Thank god, that they opened this year.

There are a couple of other good cafes, with good service, but no WIFI.

More generally, I would say, Munich is the worst city in the world for remote workers. I've worked in Freetown, Sierra Leone, Dhaka, Bangladesh, Kampala, Uganda in the last year and ALL were better cities for remote commuting cafes.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Loved this coffee place especially because it is located between the city center and the hotel I stayed in Munich.
It is quiet, you have free WiFi and if you pick a spot at the window you can enjoy our coffee and have a view of the Sendlinger Strasse.
I enjoyed the moments spent here every time.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

It's a Starbucks. Just like all the other ones around the world. Which means expensive coffee and the usual cookies. Not a German experience at all. But if you want to sit and check your email, use a nice clean restroom, and have your usual order of Starbucks coffee or tea, it's great. I love the frappuchinos they have. I only wish they had German pastries to enhance the experience

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Ok, it's Starbucks, not a touristy thing to do, but hey, it was snowing, windy, cold and just the ticket to warm us up from the inside out. This was a great experience for my daughters, who for the first time in a week, recognized a brand and were all too happy to have something warm to drink. They understood english, got our order correct, were quick about it, still had the free wi-fi, which is great for last minute surfing for directions/plans, weather, airport info. Yes, I admit it I would go back, again, and again - coffee by the way was fresh and tasted great. Oh, and they had to go cups, not every place has that.

1  Thank worldtravelsavy
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I'm no big fan of chain cafes so this was my first visit to Starbucks. The coffee was nice, I had the carrot cake, which was okay (if not a bit too sweet). The service was friendly enough.

However, the only thing I could concentrate on was the floors.. I wish I had taken a picture. I have never seen floors covered in such dirt in any cafe or restaurant before. It was not raining that day, or the day before, so I don't understand the reason for this stunt. I'm not even a pedant or a germaphobe. This was a continuous layer of dust brought in from the outside and none of the staff did seem to take a notice.