“A1”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Brisbane
“A1”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

What a great experience. I would highly recommend going to this restaurant if you don't mind forking out the cash. There are a lot of different opinions about the décor. I quite liked the 70's style with bright orange and reds and carpet on the walls. The service was great...very attentive but not too smothering. We had the 5 course set menu. The food was probably the best I have ever tasted. The wine was very good but disappointing considering the price. I was surprised they didn't have a sommelier on hand. A fantastic experience with a price tag to match.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank momo11Brisbane

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Stamford, Connecticut
“Over rated”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I was there in June 2013 for my friends birthday.

Pluses- the place is easy to find. The servers were courteous. The decor may not be for everyone but its okay.

Minuses- we had 8 course meal with wine. The food was bit salty maybe its a regional thing. I even told the server and she was sorry about it. The meal lasted for 5 hours. The waiting between food was too long over 20 mins. Which I think for a high end restaurant should never be practiced. The food were just served no explanations as to what you are eating. There is nothing special with the plating. At this price point, it did not execute the quality of food and service.

1 Thank Stamwoof
Munich, Germany
“Below expectations”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The 'Tantris' experience started the wrong way: if you want to book, you need to give your credit card details and a cancellation fee of 100€ per person (!!!) will be charged in case of no show-up. My experience in a variety of top-notch restaurants across the globe (up to 2 * Michelin) has never brought me to face such situation. The message is clear: 'money above all'... Assuming this is a side-effect, we did book and went with high expectations. We ordered the large menu (8 courses) for 175€ per head without wine. After 1,5 hour, only the 2 first courses had been served (some 30-45 min between courses). When we asked the waiter if it would be possible to accelerate the rate of service, the response was an astonishing 'you know, we are fully booked and we need to serve 120 tables, so it s difficult' !!!! At a price tag of some 250€ per person, the answer is at least insulting! I politely reminded that international practice says max 20min between courses and the waiter's response was again 'sorry but we are fully booked today...'. This is sufficient to kill what should have been a wonderful experience. Foodwise: ingredients are excellent, tastes are (mostly) good, but at this price tag, you do expect a bit more fantasy, creativity, innovation in the dishes. More modest restaurants surprise you with their gastronomic inspirations, in the case of Tantris, it certainly did not make up the expectations of the name. Overall: both logistically and gastronomically, it fell short of expectations, at a price tag that reflects the history of the restaurant rather than its actual offering.

5 Thank Yailian
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food - fantastic service.”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I dined here for our anniversary and went for the 5-course tasting menu, including the wine recommendations and it was brilliant.

One point to note, I reserved this restaurant via email and they did ask for a deposit before the reservation was confirmed.

The design and decor sets the mood and the waiters are very polished and are happy to speak English to tourists like us.

The food offered includes some interesting and imaginative combinations. White asparagus was in season at the time and our first course involved a wonderful ensemble including Salmon. My favourite course was the "Entrecôte with beans, potato tarte and fresh morels". The wine selected for each course was perfectly matched.

Overall, 2 michelin stars is definitely an effective measure of the quality of food and service offered and Tantris deserves its reputation as one of Munich's finest.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank OCV1
palo alto, ca
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not worth it”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

let me start with the positives, great service and funky restaurant design that was fun. we ordered the 5 course tasting menu with paired wines. food and pairings were solid but nothing amazing. at this price point you just need to execute to a much higher standard and the consensus was this did not deliver. too bad, we did a lot of homework to find the perfect place and were very much looking forward to it as our only night in Munich.