“Good Location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #301 of 381 Hotels in Munich
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Good Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

Small hotel on a small street. Our room was very small, but not surprising. It was perfectly good for a place to sleep and then get out and see the city. Very short walk to Hofbrauhaus for Touristy-authentic beer drinking fun. Easy walk to Transportation. Customer service was good and the breakfast did the trick but nothing to write home about, which is all I was looking for.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was at good location and close to everything. .reception was not very helpful..At night time got woken up by people yelling from the back court yard at 2am and all tv chanels were in german and bathroom light was faulty.. ..as for customer service it was terrible..when we had ask about the tv chanels we got 2 different responses from 2 different receptionist on the 1st night of stay..
and bathroom light was not fixed..
the next morning we had asked the male and female about the tv chanels (out of 30 stations only 15 worked)and said it was not acceptable since it is advertised that they have digital tv..(bbc or cnn)and bout the bathroom light.he said english chanel plays down stairs in the breakfast room only.at this point the female receptionist spoke to the male receptionist in German (thinking that I wouldnt understand )going on to say that only reason we said we were on our honeymoon was to get a free bottle of wine ..which was very unprofessional to do infront of a paying customer..!!.and I said I understood what was said and that it was very unprofessional..her response was u paid for a standard hotel u get simple service!!!
Half way through having breakfast they confronted us infront of others who were having eating at the time and made a scene to go to the reception desk to sort out the matter.. where they proceeded to go on about the matter..then the male spoke in Greek to the female (not learning their mistake the first time) so I started to speak back in Greek ..which then they gave sarcasim of which language would I prefer to speak in( english, greek or german)...we decided to check out because the level of service was atrocious and couldnt believe how unprofessional it all was..would not recommended to anyone..

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Emmanuella S

Travelers are raving about these Munich hotels

Missoula, Montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

Property is next to a huge building being build/renovated with jackhammers constantly going off. This may stop at night, but i had just flown a redeye and needed to sleep in the afternoon. This was not possible. Photo of building provided.

I told the desk agent about the issue and said I would be unable to stay there. He simply responded that "every guest loves our hotel". He did not address my concern specifically. (I must say, though, I also expressed concern about no air conditioning, but apparently I was wrong about that).

I told him I did not want to be unpleasant, but that this was nonnegotiable. He said I would have to pay. I told him I did not even stay in the room for more than 5 minutes. He called the owner who supported him. I then asked if I could speak to the owner. He said "absolutely", called the owner, and then hung up without allowing me to speak directly with him. He simply said "he will tell you the same thing".

I was told I had to pay. I was offered at 20 Euro discount to pay by cash, but refused as I wanted to dispute with AMEX (which I did and was successful). I immediately emailed asking for response from owner. After a week I sent a follow up email (I know their email works as I had previously emailed them about bed choice and they responded); again no response.

The charge is being disputed through Amex. I would have said this property is probably OK if you don't need to sleep at all during day, as the construction probably stops at night. However, the lack of ability to speak to management at my request when I was dissatisfied as well as lack of response of a detailed email is inexcusable. I was disgusted with my experience at this property and with its management. Disgust is a strong word; I chose it carefully.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank StuKaplan
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

My wife and I were in Munich for Oktoberfest. We planned to do much more than just that, so still wanted a hotel that was located near other attractions and transport. The hotel is ticked away a little and not the easiest to find the first time. The reception staff/ manager was nice, but chatted so much that we had to spend ages just providing him company.
The room was tiny and last furnished in the 80s maybe. We booked a double and had only 2 narrow single beds. The bathroom was small, dated but did the job. The breakfast area was charming with plenty to choose from.
The hotel is located near many of the cultural attractions of Munich and we had short walks to cathedrals, town squares & museums. The square where the food market is held was magic - filled with the energy of vendors serving great produce and boosted by the life of Oktoberfest.
The checkout process was a burden, with some mix-up that took 30 minutes to allow us to leave.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thessaloniki, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

Excellent boutique hotel to the center of Munchen ( 3 min walking) .Helpful and friendly staff , very good breakfast to a small but very good decoration place, free wifi. The rooms are small ( as ususal to the boutique hotel) but very clean.The price was the lowest from the other hotels to this area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pantelis K
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

There are certainly positives about this hostel. I liked the very central location and also saw value in acceptable prices if you are in Munich as a tourist.

I usually stay in the hotel 'An der Oper' right opposite and wanted to give Falkenturm a try since it is pretty cheap. Unfortunately I was soon to find out why prices weren't at the rate of other hotels in the area. As I arrived I faced closed doors and an automatic key box that didn't work. Owners were rather unpleasant, service weak.

Attention detail in the decoration and cleanness of the rooms did not go unnoticed. The size however made me feel rather claustrophobic. The boutique in its name is in my eyes not justified.

I am a frequent traveler and may have modest basic demands for a hotel. Unfortunately Falkenturm has not live up at all to any of those - no late reception, rude staff, wrong billing, issues with pre-payment which had to be clarified from my office just to name a few.

My recommendation is to stay in 'Hotel an der Oper' right opposite. In my years of travelling I had only very pleasant experiences there.

Room Tip: chose it in another hotel