“Everything the other travellers mentioned is true.”

Hotel Atlas Residence
Ranked #375 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Singapore, Singapore
“Everything the other travellers mentioned is true.”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Unless you

1)Have not done your research
2)Read reviews from only one source (booking.com)
3)Cannot live too far away from the train station
4)Living on a budget, attracted the deals from booking.com

then do not stay in this hotel. I have no qualms with living beside a noisy road, or living with Arab tourists, but other issues like broken bathroom tiles, a strange smell (medicated oil?) loose parquet floors really take the cake of being one of Munich's worst hotels. Basic amenities like a hot water boiler, English channels and breakfast are not available. Oh yes did I mention that there was NO TELEPHONE in my room?

Room Tip: Get another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Anthony T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Thai first
Brussels
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Dear all,

after arriving at the hotel (which happened only to be because I was looking for Pension Tillo that was at that place before), I read the previous postings - and I thought that some of the posters might be racists because they said there were a lot of Arab guests etc. I like Islamic culture a lot, I have been to many Arabic countries, and I met some very nice and cultivated people. So I decided to stay at Atlas Residence. That was a big mistake.
In fact, I found out the posts were right. They were not complaining about Arabs but about this horrible hotel inhabited by the noisiest guests I have ever met.
I did not get almost any sleep during that night. People were shouting, singing and listening to loud music throughout the whole place, throughout the whole night. They smoked everywhere they could, and a lot of them were obviously drunk or stoned or whatever. These people even knocked at my own door two times. They did not seem to speak any English and they did not care about me and some other hotels asking them to be more quiet.
When I tried to call the hotel reception I found out the hotel does not have any staff at night - so the party went on.
In the morning, I asked the hotel staff to get my money back (I had to prepay that night, guess why). Of course, they refused to do so.
If you are interested in smoking, drinking, shouting and doing whatever else you always wanted to do with young Egyptian men, go there. If not, avoid this place by all means.

Room Tip: There is probably no quiet room at all.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank WonderfulWorld2012

Travelers are raving about these Munich hotels

Long Beach, California
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Although the Atlas apartments offers amenities catering to extended stays, I wouldn’t want to spend more than a night there. The reception was friendly and had good information about getting to the airport, but it was a little strange that they require full payment upfront when checking in. Their luggage storage is completely nonsecure, it's in an open room where staff/friends of staff hang out and watch tv. The neighborhood is primarily Arab and the hotel seems to cater primarily to this clientelle. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the train station so you have to walk through the red light district and a sketchy part of town to get there. While the rooms were clean, they showed a lot of wear and tear. For instance, the shower fixtures were nearly falling out of the wall and the kitchen cabinets were badly stained as if entire families were living there for long periods of time. There was no soap or sponge provided for washing any dishes. For two people, we really didn’t need 4 beds and a kitchen. The hotel offers a lot of space for the money. But I think I would have paid more for something much smaller in a more tourist-friendly neighborhood if I could go back and do it over. Although we didn’t spend much time in the room, the hotel didn’t add anything positive to our experience while vacationing in Munich. I chose it for it’s low price and proximity to the central train station, but the public transportation is so good in Munich that any other neighborhood would have been just as convenient.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel near another transit stop. It's not that necessary to be near the central s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Stayed here for two nights for the Munich marathon. We had a large room, it was clean and but more like a students studio flat with dodgy decor. Yes there is a small kitchen area, but I wouldn't rely on using it to cook.

Breakfast was ok, it's in the hotel across the road. The hotel is a short walk from the main train station and about 10 mins from the city centre.

Overall it's not a bad place but nothing fancy. Some friends stayed in a nearby hostel for a third of the price, by all accounts just as good and there was a bar there open to 3am, no such thing at the Atlas.

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank Jimmy123London
Arrowtown, New Zealand
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We booked an apartment in the hotel so that we could cook for ourselves and unwind after a very long flight. The apartment was nothing like the photographs as shown on bookings.com. It was small, dirty and totally lacking in useable cooking equipment, utensils, crockery, glasses etc. When we complained they did offer us a larger apartment but it was in the same state!!

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 15, 2009

I needed a hotel for the night in Munich as we were to pick up a car here for a trip across Europe. I needed something close to the Hauptbahnhof (Main) since we were arriving by train and I needed to pick up the car at the airport. Plus, we were arriving in Munich on the last day of Oktoberfest. Because of that, rooms were slim pickins in Munchen.

The location is close to the train station, if you exit the station on the proper side (Bayerstrasse side). A short 2 or 3 block walk and you're there. The lobby is small and there is really no amenities like a bar or lounge. Reception was friendly and spoke English. I don't believe the hotel offers parking so you'll most likely have to park in a public garage, but there are a few close by.

The hotel is on a busy street corner, so sleeping with the windows open really isnt a possibility. The windows work well when close though to keep the noise out. We had to suffer a bit since the previous occupant of our room was a smoker, so we chose to keep them open. The rooms themselves are spacious and decent, in a minimalist sort of way. Everything seemed new, and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was a highlight, with a nice stand up shower-tub, and other modern touches.

There are many little coffee shops and restuarants in this area, so finding food shouldnt be an issue. Be aware that its more of a fast foody area, so to find a decent restaurant with a proper atmosphere you may have to wander into town. A walk down to the Marienplatz area will take you maybe 20 minutes.

All in all we found the hotel worth the price, and a pleasant enough place to stay for a night. If you're looking for atmosphere or romance, look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family