“If you do nothing else in Munich, do this!!!!!”

The Thirsty Historian
Ranked #2 of 30 Food & Drink in Munich
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Thirsty Historian strives to provide the highest quality customized, private tours that combine the best cultural experiences possible in Munich and Bavaria with your requests and interests in mind. We take our guests to Munich's best locations and some of the world's oldest breweries, beer halls and biergartens producing what we think are some of the best beers, cuisine, and charming hospitality one can find. Come join us For the Intro To Munich, The Munich Experience or The Ultimate Munich Expereince for a real, genuine feel of Bavaria's atmosphere (gemutlichkeit)! We offer historical tours of Munich City, 3rd Reich History, Dachau Memorial, Viktualienmarkt, and multiple Beer Tours and Excursions in Munich and Bavaria.
Reviewed May 30, 2015

Levi is one of a kind. Born in the US, but fluent in both English and German, he made Munich, and Germany, one of my favorite destinations around the world! His knowledge and personable demeanor is unsurpassed.

We booked a private tour for about 4 hours. We wanted to know about the history of Munich. What we got was so much more. He met us at the hotel, in Old Town at 10 AM. We started walking, and he started talking. He first spoke of the beer, and the history of the Beer Houses. That led into the history of how beer is so intertwined with Munich, the Royalty of Bavaria, then into Germany, World War II, how the Nazi history played into it, and went on and on, continuing to build upon itself. All this while casually strolling through the town. I was never rushed, it was never complicated, and was always incredibly interesting and entertaining., and had me asking so many questions.

Levi, above all the other tour guides I've had, has a way of explaining things on every level, always keeps you interested, and I was quite surprised with his knowledge base. Had we known the caliber of tour we would be getting, we would have booked him for more tours the next day. No joke.

Make sure to book him for your first full day in Old Town Munich. He laid out the town so well, my wife and I had no problem navigating the town on our own afterwards, you would have thought we lived there.

I cannot say enough about this guy. When (not if) we go back to Munich, we will look him up again. Doesn't matter what he talks about, you will learn and enjoy. I would book him to give me a tour of my own home!

Date of experience: May 2015
in 3 reviews
"eagles nest"
"interesting information"

Reviewed May 27, 2015

Would highly recommend Levi as your tour guide!! His knowledge of German history along with his love of Bavarian culture contributes to his keeping it fun and interesting. The private tours we took were perfect for getting to know the city. He also shared the locals perspective on what to do on our own...we were pointed in the right direction for sites, restaurants, bike rides, and beer gardens. One of the tours we took was an awesome hike that had all the essentials: mountains, lakes, beer, and good food. There is a lot of rich history in Central Europe which can be overwhelming to navigate ourselves; the Thirsty Historian tour was the perfect balance of older history, WW2/Nazi stuff, and the current goings-on.

We are coming back next year and definitely will take other tours with them.

Date of experience: May 2015
3  Thank John1957Go
Reviewed May 19, 2015 via mobile

Visiting Munich for the first time with our two 20+ year old sons, we were looking for a fun and informative beer tour. Boy did we find it! Levi picked is up at our hotel and we walked and rode public transport to three different beer halls and gardens. He also took us on a private tour of the Paulaner brewery. We had a blast. I most highly recommend The Thirsty Historian.

2  Thank Duane S
Reviewed May 16, 2015

Levi was the greatest tour guide. Really enjoyed the tour, it was specifically catered to my mate and I based on what we had already seen in Munich.
We spent a great 4 hours touring various brew houses, visiting a brewery, tasting some interesting beers and hearing about the beer history of Munich and the Bavaria area. What a great evening with the highlight a walk through the fabled Octoberfest grounds, not during the festival, but an experience.

Date of experience: April 2015