“It's like a good friend from home showing you around his favorite city!”

The Thirsty Historian
Ranked #2 of 30 Food & Drink in Munich
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Thirsty Historian strives to provide the highest quality customized, private tours that combine the best cultural experiences possible in Munich and Bavaria with your requests and interests in mind. We take our guests to Munich's best locations and some of the world's oldest breweries, beer halls and biergartens producing what we think are some of the best beers, cuisine, and charming hospitality one can find. Come join us For the Intro To Munich, The Munich Experience or The Ultimate Munich Expereince for a real, genuine feel of Bavaria's atmosphere (gemutlichkeit)! We offer historical tours of Munich City, 3rd Reich History, Dachau Memorial, Viktualienmarkt, and multiple Beer Tours and Excursions in Munich and Bavaria.
Reviewed March 19, 2015

In the past I have been a bit skeptical of private tours on a vacation. I assumed it would cost too much and be "awkward" to be with an individual I didn't know in a place I wasn't really comfortable to begin with. Boy, was I ever wrong - at least when it comes to my experience last month in Germany with "The Thirsty Historian!"

A friend and I were in the area last month on an extension of a business trip and decided, with such limited time to visit, we needed to consider connecting with a tour company to show us the sights. In Germany, a tour that does that AND focuses on the beers for which the Bavaria region is so famous seemed almost to good to be true so we just had to try it.... We wound up booking tours with these guys for two different days in Munich and Bamberg, where we actually stayed overnight in the guest rooms above one of the brew houses!

It's hard to describe our experiences in a way that would be of exact value to others because with The Thirsty Historian, Levi and the gang will put together what interests YOU most and even tweak the tour along the way to best meet your needs. Levi knows the area, and the beer, SO well and yet, because he moved there from the U.S. many years back, it seemed as though he had a similar kind of perspective on the city and it's culture as we did. He could relate to us and our questions, because they were probably some of the same ones he had on his first visit. The best way to describe it all is to say that it was like "your good friend's friend meets you in Munich to show you their city and all of it's treasures."

My best advice is to get over any "reservations" you may have and reserve a spot with The Thirsty Historian if you are visiting the area. I can assure you that you won't regret the decision!

Date of experience: February 2015
in 3 reviews
"eagles nest"
"interesting information"

Reviewed March 18, 2015

Levi is an excellent guide who knows all the ins and outs of Munich and the surrounding area. We were taken on a private tour of Munich, which was tailored based on our interests well ahead of our arrival, and Levi did not disappoint as he has done his research and can answer virtually any question you may have that he doesn't specifically address during his tours. Part of our tour focused on Third Reich history and, being lifelong students of history, we appreciated Levi not only showing us the sights during this dark chapter in history, but also for addressing the historical context behind each location he took us to. Then there was the brewery tour and, let's face it, no visit to Munich is complete without indulging in Munich's centuries old beer scene. After taking us to a few beer halls and delving into the science of brewing beer, we finished up at Paulaner am Nockherberg for Starkbierfest, which was an awesome time. Spending time with the Thirsty Historian was a great way to kick off our time in Munich and we would definitely recommend this as a "must do" if you're in town if only for a day or so.

Date of experience: March 2015
3  Thank AU-UGA
Reviewed March 7, 2015

My husband and I had booked a city highlights tour the day we arrived in Munich and the Neuschwanstein Castle tour for the following day. We had such a great time with Levi we booked an additional private brewery tour and as a guide to the “Strong Beer Festival” for third day. We had such an amazing time. Levi is like meeting up with a dear friend, he was very knowledgeable, accommodating to our schedules and made our time in Munich such a delight. We would highly recommend him to anyone looking for tours in the Munich area!

Date of experience: March 2015
2  Thank Pamela K
Reviewed December 30, 2014

I booked with Levi months ago and recently changed my plans. I contacted him about a week ago and he did everything in his power to accommodate our last minute changes. He met us very promptly at 8:30 this morning in a snow storm. We all walked the city in the cold with a few warm up breaks. Levi was more knowledgable with detailed facts about the city history and the Third Reich than an average guide. We have two children (ages 11 and 13) who remained completely interested for 3 1/2 hours and probably could have kept going. It helps that Levi is very friendly and engaging. I will recommend Levi to anyone visiting Munich and I will pass on his information to my travel agent. He has to be the best guide in Munich.

Date of experience: December 2014