“Not Satisfied”
Review of Goethe Hotel

Goethe Hotel
Ranked #300 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Terrible experience at this Hotel. Both nights we were there, someone was speaking Turkish very loudly in courtyard behind Hotel and later could hear them inside. Second night only got 2 hours of sleep. Breakfast served was Fair - had an eggshell in my eggs and lost my appetite. Would not recommend this Hotel to anyone staying in Munich. From the USA

Room Tip: I would not recommend this place to anyone. I was very disatisfied and angry for having to pay for...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights in a triple room. Was generally quite disappointed with the hotel. Location is 5 mins from the train station so its easy to find but is surrounded by betting shops, late night cafes and sex shops which always seems to have groups of men outside. Didn't concern me as we were a group of 3 men staying but would not recommend for single women and groups of women as it could be quite intimidating. Having said this a lot of the hotels in Munich seem to be situated here.

No lifts in the hotel so be prepared for lots of trips up and down stairs. Room was poor, handles on bathroom door was loose which led to all 3 of us getting locked in at some point during our stay. Also shower terrible. Had no water at all in sink, shower or toilet for 24 hours then when it did come back on was cold for 2 days before we finally had some warm water the day before we left.

Redeeming feature was the breakfast. Very good continental breakfast with good selection. Overall I'm sure there are better places in Munich to stay for the same budget.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Location is good with respect to being quite near the central train station. However, quite near the hotel on the street was a topless bar, a place called like erotic something, and Sexyland. There also was a some sorta of betting place down the street. So I wasn't pleased with the location. I also didn't like with the hotel itself. It terms of cleanliness it was fine. But the bed was truly the hardest mattress I have ever slept on. Also the hotel walls are thin so it is not a quiet place to stay for rest. The hotel also has a staircase only so it is not luggage friendly. It seemed to me that all rooms required going up a set of stairs. Though I was only there for 1 night so I didn't orientate myself to the hotel itself. Maybe there are ground floor available.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dee19California
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Spent one night in Munich for the Champions league final. The hotel was friendly and helpful. The rooms basic but clean. The hotel owners were brilliant when we found we couldn't get to the ground on time. They pulled out all the stops and got us a lift. Thanks

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank RamsgateOnions
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Had a double room,very clean,great location.No elevator,front desk friendly.All sorts of fruit&vegetable stands grocery stores right across the street and on same side.3 minute walk to train station,and easy walk to Marienplatz,shopping....sights.Wonderful breakfast,internet did not work in the room while we were there.They tried to fix to no avail.
Recommend to stay if you don`t need all the bells and whistles.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank hhar14
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed here 5 nights and I would gladly come back again. We had a room in the back overlooking the well-maintained garden, which was generally quiet. Breakfast (included) was great... I felt more like I was in a B&B than in a traditional hotel.

The hotel is in a middle-eastern neighborhood just due west of Marienplatz, which is a very easy walk from the hotel. The hotel itself is run by a Turkish family, and the evidence of that is everywhere. I found that really appealing. The staff were extremely helpful with me and my inept attempts to figure out where to park, etc. Most speak English very well (a lot better than my German or Turkish), and if they can't get you and answer they will find it.

The accommodations and service are a very good deal for the price. If you're looking for "comfortably western" this may not be your piece of cake. But if you want a good room, great location, and friendly, generous, hospitable staff, it's great. If I get back to Munich next year, this will be the first place I look for a reservation.

çok güzel! (very nice!)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jim O
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I was underwhelmed the first day I stayed as my room was on the 4th floor, which meant lugging a pack up many flights of stairs as this 30 room Turkish family-run hotel lacks a lift. The breakfast was however quite reasonable while in the pokey bathroom, the shower worked acceptably.

When I came back a few days later, the hotelier upgraded me to a family suite with three single beds and free use of an in room PC connected to Internet. The room fronted Goethestrasse but there was no street noise: it was however a Sunday night.

The proprietor even came to my room to change the default PC language from Russian to German and hence facilitate my access in English.

The room rate was 49 Euro which for an hotel 150 to 200 metres if that from one of Germany's largest railway stations, which was excellent value. I booked through DB (German Rail's) www.bahn.de website which works well for hotel bookings as well as train timetable information.

Be aware that the hotel does not accept foreign credit cards that require a signature: the management will not manually key in the number, expiry date and special other number. The clerk kept asking me for a PIN, which I do not have for credit transactions. I paid cash.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo