“Loved this hotel!”

Hotel Grunwald Garni
Ranked #115 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We opted to stay out of the centre of Munich for something different, and did not regret our decision. The Hotel Grunwalk is a little way out of town (about a 5 minute walk and a 20 minute train ride to the Marienplatz in the centre of Munich) but this was more than made up for by the comfort, cleanliness and presentation of the entire hotel. Breakfast was delightful and set us up well for the day and the staff were extremely helpful and obliging. We also enjoyed being out of the tourist centre and staying in a suburban area with good quality and inexpensive restaurants close by. We had a little sitting room off our bedroom which we really appreciated as we had been travelling for sometime staying in small hotel rooms and the extra space was very nice. We would absolutely go back to this hotel should we visit Munich again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank soultravellers

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Good place fo working but not for romance I think.
the hotel well equiped, well located and the staff is pleasant.
But this hotel is too expansive for the product, even if the stay was pleasant like I said.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank john d
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We had a snafu in our travel plans that left us at the last minute without a hotel. We found this one, and just showed up with no reservations. They got us a room, immediately and made us feel very welcome. It is a family operation and they take hospitality seriously. Our room was more spacious that we expected, the bathroom was wonderful and roomy and I admit I fell in love with the towel heater.

It seems to be mostly a business hotel (there were other travelers there tho) but was fine for us. The included-in-the-price breakfast was fabulous: made-to-order eggs, several kinds of fresh fruit, meat and cheese platters, and tons more. A great selection of teas and one of the new coffee machines that grinds and brews individual cups at the press of a button.

We would definitely stay here again! A very happy find.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street side (but they tend to go fast). There is a bit of street noise...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank KarlaHappyTraveler
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I come to Munich fairly often to visit family and I usually stay in the city center close to Marienplatz (Hotel Torbrau, Platzl, etc.). I prefer a hotel with some character (actual key versus a key card!). This trip I decided to save some money and try someplace new and the family-run Hotel Grunwald in Aubing was an excellent choice. It is a 15 minute S-Bahn (S -4 line) direct from the city center. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the Aubing station and there are signs directing you from the station as well as a detailed map on their website. But don't worry about getting lost in Aubing. It is a quiet town (they even turn off the traffic lights in the evening because there is no traffic!). That said, you can find everything you need in town ( hotel provides shampoo/soap but I needed to buy body lotion etc). The hotel is cozy, clean (even by German standards) and cheerful. There is free parking on site, free internet and an 8 euro breakfast that is worth every penny and will tide you over until dinner. I like that the inn has been run by the same family for 5 generations and when I arrived, the proprietor's two children were sitting on his lap behind the desk sneaking in a quick visit. Although I speak German, the desk staff speaks excellent English and can provide you with maps, train tickets, etc. The room itself is a decent size by European standards with an in-room safe large enough to accommodate a laptop, TV with news in English, heated towel bars, radiator heat (excellent for drying wet things), and a shower with ample water pressure and a handheld wand as well as an overhead "rain shower" shower head. To get from the airport to the hotel, you can take either the S-1 or the S-8 from the airport to the city center and then the S -4 to the hotel. I opted for the S-1 to Laim and then changed to the S-4 (direction. Geltendorf). It is easier to change trains in Laim than in the city center, especially with suitcases. I bought my train ticket before I left the States on the S-Bahn website www.mvv-muenchen-de and printed them off on my home computer. If you purchase tickets online, you don't need to worry about having them validated and they are good on the S-Bahn, U-bahn, as well as all city buses and trams. I bought an "airport city day ticket" for 11.70 euro (if you are traveling with others, you can buy an"airport city center partner ticket" instead which is 21.30 euro and good for up to 5 adults). I also bought a 3 day "innenraum/innerdistrict" ticket for 15 euro (25.90 euro for the "partner" version). The hotel and everywhere I needed to go is within the "innenraum". Would I stay here again? Absolutely! At about a third of the price of downtown hotels where I usually stay, this is a great alternative and an easy commute!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank travelmutter
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a family run hotel just outside of munich. The folks who run it are very friendly and the hotel is in top condition (our room looked like it had just been painted). There was a small playground outside, so it looked like a good place for families as well. The breakfast was good, but maybe a bit overpriced.
To get to the hotel from munich you had to take the S4 train. During the weekdays and before 11pmish this was easy to do and a short ride. We found that if we stayed out late (after 11pm) the trains were far between and it was a bit harder to get back. We were only there for part of saturday and found the trains sparser on that day as well (there was some construction on the lines... not sure if this altered the # of trains?). We enjoyed our stay here a lot, but if you plan to stay out late more often (to enjoy Munich's nightlife) you might be better off staying closer to the city.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NYtravelers_111
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Now this was hell of an experience. We checked in late, which we indicated to the reception staff...the biggest smile I have seen at 11 pm. THe staff was really really halpful and knowledgeable and nice from the very beginning of our stay. THe room was spacious, and well equipped. We will definitely return when we will be next in Munich.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank GerdaSchmitz
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stayed here based on Trip Advisor reviews and were very happy that we did so. The hotel is in Aubing, just outside of Munich, a 15 minute S4 train ride from Marienplatz. The rooms were very nice with a small under desk fridge, the bathroom very large with a great shower, a really beautiful breakfast room with very good breakfast and eggs to order. Very clean, nice comforter duvets and large pillows on the beds. Widows all open for lots of fresh air and the staff was very helpful in answering our questions, providing recommendations and we were able to buy our train tickets at the desk. Very helpful.And there is a vending machine with very good German Beers available for just a few Euros! Sehr Gut! Be advised, during weekdays the S4 train will take you directly into Munich and back to Aubing without having to change trains, but on weekends (which is when we arrived) the train stops in Pasing due to ongoing construction and you have to change trains in Pasing. We found this hotel to be very reasonable for the quality which was excellent, easy commute to Munich, away from the tourist sites and very quiet and accommodating.We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple