“Charming suburban hotel”

Hotel Grunwald Garni
Ranked #140 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We booked this hotel because it was about the only one we could find on the internet that wasn't charging rip-off prices for the Champions League Final in Munich. What a find! Clean and comfortable rooms, nice garden and friendly and very helpful staff.
Despite the charms of the suburb in which it is located, the drawback is the distance from central Munich. The S-Bahn station is in easy reach (about 5-10 minutes walk) and at weekends the trains run every 20 minutes. So not an insurmountable problem but allow plenty of travelling time to get to and from locations in the city.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LondonCes
There are newer reviews for Hotel Grunwald Garni

Reviewed May 14, 2012

very good hotel. It locates In quiet and charming place - Aubing (only 6th stop from railway station).
All people at the reception desk, at breakfast room and maid are pleasant, attentive and helpful.
Our room at the attic floor was nice and clean , nothing awoke us in the mornings (sounds from hall or neighbours).
Breakfast was rich and various.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ella_inoplanetian
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Some friends and I stayed out in the 'burbs because the rest of Munich was sold out for Oktoberfest. It's a <10 minute walk to the S-Bahn ("Aubing" stop) from the hotel, which is VERY helpful. The guys at the front desk are great... they helped us with maps, S-Bahn tix, and general info about Munich. Good parking - the car stayed there until we left. It's about 20 mins to the city center.

The hotel itself is a bit dated but it's comfy enough. The bathroom was verrry tiny. I mean really small! Served the purpose though. We had a triple room and are very close friends, which is good considering the close quarters.

We didn't eat breakfast there so no comment on that. Would I stay there again if necessary? Sure. It served as a decent home base at the tail end of Oktoberfest. We were comfortable and warm. Not a bad choice at all.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank TXDelta3
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights at this hotel during our trip to Germany. The hotel was very easy to find and had plenty of parking. The staff were very friendly during check-in. They gave us great directions to the train into Munich which was about a 20 minute ride to the city. Our room was great. Newly renovated with beautiful linens and a fantastic bathroom. We found lighting in the bath in many of the places we stayed was lacking, but not here. It was great. The shower was also wonderful! The hotel was nice and quiet. There is a little bakery just down from the hotel, but be warned that the employees at the bakery don't speak much English. This hotel is located in a more residential area so we found that they weren't as fluent in English as say, downtown Munich. I would definitely stay here again, though. The town is nice and the train is easy. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank klweaver
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We went to Munich for Oktoberfest and stayed here for two nights. It's not a bad distance from town but it isn't close either, the U and S are easy to figure out. The staff was friendly enough during our stay. The room was nice. The shower was the best we had in all of our different stays in Europe. My wife and I forgot our hanging bag in the closet when we left for Innsbruck. I know it is not their problem but when we tried to have the staff ship the bag to our next destination(completely at our cost), they were not easy to work with. They acted like we had really burdened them. To us it was not service we would return for. The hotel is a nice place to stay, just don't forget anything!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank naterday
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights with my husband. A little far from "downtown", but on the S4 it was super easy....Aubing (hotel stop) to Hackebrucke (Oktoberfest) is about a 10-15min ride. And the walk from the hotel to the S-bahn is just 10min. And you walk thru a super cute little town. Hotel stop to Marienplatz, another major tourist area, is about 15-20min. So not within walking distance to attractions, but very easy to get around and riding the bahn was fun! Dont forget to validate your ticket!

Hotel itself is very clean, staff was wonderful and very helpful with any sightseeing questions we had. Room itself was not large, but worked out great for our stay. Bed was a little hard and pillows a little flat for my taste. Decorations were cutesy, I felt a little like I was staying at grandma's house, but it fit in perfectly with the area and made me feel at home.

We paid for breakfast a couple times. A little pricey, but it was great. Good bread, made to order eggs and typical European hotel breakfast items (cold meats and cheeses, yogurt, fruits).

Wifi was free and worked fine. Only issue I had was it was a little slow when I tried to Skype home, but otherwise it was great.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank HungryJack32
Reviewed October 5, 2011

We enjoyed everything about this hotel. My husband and I stayed for 3 nights and were so happy we made this choice. The breakfast buffet was outstanding each and every day. We were able to walk to the S Bahn station in about 7 - 8 minutes and it was an easy trip into Central Munich. We were even able to buy our train ticket at the front desk. Bernard and his parents run the hotel and they are so friendly and went out of their way to answer all our questions. Within a 5 minute walk were 2 different German restaurants and both had atmosphere and excellent food. If you are concerned about not speaking any German, do not worry. Bernard and his folks are well versed and the restaurants had menus in English.
My husband and I hope to return to Hotel Grunwald soon!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple