“Not my worst, but VERY close!”
Review of Daheim Hotel

Daheim Hotel
Ranked #364 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Los Angeles
“Not my worst, but VERY close!”
Reviewed February 10, 2008

I was recently booked into this "hotel" (with next to no service, either on the phone, by the maid, or the rest of the staff, this place rates below a hostel) on a work trip and was thrilled when checkout day arrived. Neither the age of the hotel or size of the rooms bothered me (the building is probably from the 1860's to 80's. Cool!) and the rooms are small by American standards [fine]. What irritated me were the EMORMOUS dust bunnies under my bed, the yellowish-gray stain on my duvet, the stale smell of smoke (in this supposedly non-smoking hotel) that permeated every surface of my room and the downright rudeness of the staff when I asked if they might provide me with a cleaning spray to try to reduce this odor. My first night there I accidently sprinkled some baby powder on the floor. It was still there when I checked out 3 days later! All that being said, the location is central to a lot of great tourist sites and the main train/underground station. The neighborhood is a bit seedy, but I felt safe enough and there are a lot of late night bar/food/entertainment options nearby. Just bring your own bedding and be prepared if you are asthmatic or have allergies.

• Disliked — dirty, poor service
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Wileycanary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 27, 2007

I thought the other two reviews had nothing to do with whether or not this hotel would be a good fit for travelers, so we took a chance on it. Our room was quite small, but that was no problem. It was newly furnished, and our breakfast was quaint and tasty. The hotel is in a good area. My one complaint is a big one in my book, though... I don't think they washed the bedding, and I know they didn't sweep or vacuum before we arrived. The room didn't appear dirty, but a closer look showed these flaws. For a germaphobe like myself, it made my stay far less comfortable. Not a bad place, but not right for me.

• Liked — convenience
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank JustMeDallas
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed November 24, 2006

We booked this hotel based on the price compared to other hotels in the area. The old saying "you get what you pay for" definitely applies here. Upon walking into the lobby it felt cold and bare. The hallways and rooms felt as if we were in a hospital due to the white walls everywhere. A little splash of color could do wonders. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was decent which why I didn't rate it "terrible". There actually is an elevator in the hotel despite what the previous reviewer said.

The beds we slept on felt as if the springs had broken. Every movement met with a creaking sound. It is located in a seedy area, strip bars, etc, but we did not feel endangered while walking around at midnight. The train station and Marienplatz are all within walking distance. There are Turkish restaurants across the street that are open very late. There is also a laundromat two blocks away called "Washcenter". It's mentioned in the Rick Steve's book. We didn't expect anything great from the hotel, given the price, but if I had slept on a comfortable bed, I would've rated it four stars.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Richard H

Travelers are raving about these Munich hotels

Rome, Italy
Reviewed September 11, 2006

I spent 3 nights at the Hotel Daheim in Munich in March 2003, for the final year's high school trip, which was wery badly organised.
The hotel looked nice and the room in which I slept seemd clean.
But once my friends looked at their rooms, they found out that they were not as clean as mine. Some of them were put in a room at the highest floor where workers were carrying out their job in the bathroom, so they had pieces of plaster on the floor!
We did not have breakfast there, though we could, but we preferred to go somewhere else.
I thought it was allright when I found out that a big yellowish stain stood under my cover! I asked for it to be removed, so they did, but I was really unsatisfied.
This has been the worst of my worst trip ever: 5 days, a 12-hours train trip, a guide who disappeared and a rather high price payed to stay in a very nice city for three very short days (it took 2 days to get there from Rome).
As for the hotel, it's close to the main train station, in a central area. There is just a wooden stair with no elevator. The rooms were basic, and the bathroom had a shower with no gas heater, so if hot water ran out it was a real deal to have a wash!
I don't think I will go there again...

• Liked — Nothing... the position perhaps
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Nothing in particular... but there are a lot of nice shops in the road where Hotel Daheim is!
  • Stayed August 2006