“Good location but cold staff”

Fleming's Hotel Munich City
Ranked #65 of 382 Hotels in Munich
“Good location but cold staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. While I love the location, don't expect too much regarding the internet, hospitality, and amenities.

Although the hotel provides free wifi, good luck with the wait. It's like using the internet from he 80s. In addition, they will not tell you about the Internet, you have to ask and make sure you tell them how many gadgets you want to use the wifi for. It's one password per gadget.

In the room, there will be no iron, nor tea makers. This was not a huge issue for me. However, what I didn't like was the attitude from some of the staff members. You have to be careful and research everything before you go to Munich. Nobody is going to go out of their way to help you. They all act like its your responsibility to know everything. For example, I booked two rooms through hotel.com. One smoking and one nonsmoking. When I arrived, the lady didnt communicate to me that there is no smoking allowed in any of the rooms. When I asked her later on, she said there was no smoking Rooms available which changed everything and led into an argument. The point was that I was willing to suck it up but i wished she told me ahead of the time (during my check in). However, instead of saying a simple: sorry for the inconvenience, she said: it's not my responsibility, there are no smoking signs everywhere. Instead of being humble and try to improve on their hotel management, they act like they can do no wrong.

Although my experience at this hotel was not superb, doesn't mean you won't, just be careful and do enough research before you go.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GuestrelationCity, Manager at Fleming's Hotel Munich City, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Shirls65,

thank you very much for your feedback here on tripadvisor.

Great, that you liked our comfortable location in the heart of Munich.

We´re sorry to hear, that you were not satisfied with the way our staff was working. Immediately after getting your feedback, we talked to our staff and took measures to not make this happen again in the future.
Regarding the smoking rooms - we only have 10 of them left in our hotel - we do our best to achive all our guests wishes. Unfortunately all smoking rooms were occupied at that time. That´s why you got two nonsmoking rooms. But of course you are right - that needs to be communicated. On the other hand, all our nonsmoking rooms have a nonsmoking sign on the door and even one on the writing desk.

We also thank you for your feedback regarding our wifi. We are aware of this challenge and already working on improvement. 3 of our Fleming´s hotels are already testing a new system for our guests to use the internet. We´re also trying to get a fiber glass internet connection for our guests. Hopefully you can try it within your next visit.

Just a little tip for your next stay - just make a reservation for one of our maisonnette studios. Here you have tea and coffee making facilities in the room.

All the best for you,

Kathrin Weiß

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed there for 11 nights. The hotel is located almost directly in front of the main train station, and not far from the old city center (approx. 15 minutes walking). The room had an adequate size, sleek design and good sound isolation. Ate breakfast there 3 or 4 times, not because the food was not of my liking (it was), but because late breakfasts would stay in the way of my day trips around Munich. Staff was a highlight in my stay: friendly, willing to help and efficient. Now the cons: even though it's conveniently located, the hotel's neighborhood can be described as somewhat seedy. Not that it's their fault to blame. Big chain hotels such as the Sofitel and the Meridien were also located in the same venue, which probably just reflects some zoning limitations. Air conditioning was a bigger problem: even though I adjusted the temperature control for below 15 degrees Celsius, to balance the warm weather outside, central A.C. prevented it from going below 20, what be fine for a normal day, but not sufficient for a hot summer week. Finally, I noticed some wear and tear in the bathroom towels and in the bedside lamp. I didn't care much, but considering that the hotel styles itself as a design hotel styles (which in fact it is), more attention should devoted for this kind of detail. All in all, a good solid choice for solo travelers in search of a mid-range hotel close to the city and within minimal distance of the train station and daytrip destiny. Would come back and stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Rafael331
Dear Rafael331,

thank you for your graet feedback here on tripadvisor.

We´re really happy, that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Regarding the towels, we immediately passed your comment to our head houskeeper. She took care, that all the damaged towels are withdrawn from circulation.

Hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Location was good, a block from train station and about 20 min walk to the center.
The shower very modern and open to the bedroom, and that's probably a good thing to know before booking a room with someone you aren't very close to is your roommate. Hotel is neat and clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GuestrelationCity, Manager at Fleming's Hotel Munich City, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear vkrombach,

wow, what a great feedback! We´re happy, that we met all your expectations with our Fleming´s style and that you had a great time with us during your stay.

We´re looking forward to welcomeing you back to our hotel soon!

Oxfordshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay here. The location was good, about 20 min walk to the centre. The breakfast had a good selection & was of a high standard. The staff were very helpful & friendly. The rooms were clean & well furnished. They looked stylish & fresh. Basically I can't fault this hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
GuestrelationCity, Manager at Fleming's Hotel Munich City, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear vmnk,

5 out of 5.... perfect! We´re very happy, that we met all your expectations!
Hopefully you are coming back to munich soon.

Ettalong Beach, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Hotel about 2minutes walk from Railway Station,city trams and other transport,great location.Hotel is modern,rooms clean,roomy and good WiFi connection,in house Restaurant with kerbside dining facility also. Staff were very helpful and friendly an enjoyable stay and happy to have cases etc left in luggage room all day on final checkout

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Euan R,

wow, what a great feedback!

Thank you!

We´re looking forward to welcomeing you back soon!

Kathrin Weiß,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed at Fleming's one night while on a roadtrip through Europe. The staff was informative and nice, especially one younger guy who was extremely service minded.

The room was a real treat. Very modern and tastefully designed. I absolutely loved the integrated shower/bathroom part! The shower is practically in the bedroom, and that's probably a good thing to know before booking a room with someone you aren't very close to. Shower also functioned very well, and felt clean and fresh.

Bed was good, and I slept very well. The bags of candy on the pillows was a nice touch. Actually really good candy, for once! Pillows were a bit soft for my taste, but I've heard that other pillows can be arranged.

I booked on short notice and sadly got a room where smoking is allowed. That is probably also good to be aware of, that you cannot be guaranteed a non-smoking room. However, I opened the windows for a while and wasn't that disturbed by the odor in the room.

Also worth mentioning is that there are lots of heavy doors in the hotel. Can perhaps be troublesome for guests with disabilites, but otherwise it should be no problem. Wifi in my room was very slow too. No big concern for me, but may be for others.

Overall I'm very happy with my stay. The location is super, value is good and it's a very modern hotel. I would probably stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Johan_Norlund,

great, that you enjoyed your stay with us and than you gave us such a good feedback here on tripadvisor.
We immediately took a note in your profile, that you prefer nonsmoking rooms, so we can block a room for you as soon as you make a new reservation.
Hopefully we may welcome you back to munich soon.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I booked this hotel through Hotels.com and the price and location were exactly what I was looking for.

Pros: location, price, room size, clean, free wifi, breakfast

Cons:
- Wifi Internet was terrible. It was free, which is great, but I was hear for business and needed a more reliable connection.
- Make sure if you are sharing the room with someone that you are comfortable with showering in front of them. For some reason they decided to make the shower all glass and put it almost in the middle of the room.
- If you come here in the summer, be aware that European A/Cs don't cool as well as those in the US. I am sure the hotel thought I was being a picky American but it was pretty warm in the room when it was hot outside.

Overall this is a nice hotel and in a prime location. Since it is across from the main station you can get anywhere you want just by hoping on a train, s-bahn or u-bahn. I have been told by my co-workers that this hotel gets expense and packed with drunks during Oktoberfest.

Room Tip: Choose the superior room and you get a free mini-bar. It is stocked with water, sodas, juice and be...