“Pleasant stay in a great location”
Review of Schiller5 Hotel

Schiller5 Hotel
Ranked #7 of 383 Hotels in Munich
tel aviv
“Pleasant stay in a great location”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Solo traveler, picked this one also because of good reviews. I had a very nice, clean room. Complies with 4 star hotel standards. Air-Con in the room was a big advantage in hot Munich in Summer. I had a room on the 6th floor, facing the street. As long as I kept the window closed, I didn't hear a sound coming from outside, but when open, you hear a lot of commotion throughout the whole night. I didn't have a problem with that however.
Previous reviewers noted that the Schillerstrasse is unsafe at night, I didn't have this feeling at all. Free Internet, very strong signal. Also, a computer you can use to print documents at the lobby. Nice rich breakfast.
Location is awesome, 5 minutes walk to the main train station and 7 minutes walk to the old city, really in the center of everything!

Cons - The elevator very very slow, only one serves 6 floors. Housekeeping using it as well. On several occasions I has to wait 5 minutes. One occasion couldn't enter because housekeeping maid was there with her trolley. Also, the corridors are not air conditioned so extremely hot.

Overall, I had a great stay and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank 5starlovertlv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We, a family with a baby and a boy, spent one night before getting our rental car from the station, which is one reason we chose this hotel. The room is clean and tidy. Bathroom is a bit small but is sufficient. The sofa bed is good for my elder son. Breakfast is also reasonable. It even has a small separate kitchen in case you would like to cook something simple. Overall, a reasonably priced and decent hotel with almost everything you need.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
hong kong
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I picked this hotel all because of the reviews on the tripadvisor and the proximity to the train station. Decent room, excellent breakfast. People talked about free minibar, in order not to disappoint you, there're only 2 small bottles of water, 1 bottle of cola, 1 bottle of juice and 1 bottle of beer. However, they top up everyday. For the keen internet user, make sure to check the wifi signal when you check in coz my room could only receive very weak signal. There, I could only check my email but couldn't do Vibers or FaceTime and it took me ages to load a Lufthansa page. I asked for a change by stating my reason. They accommodated my request the next day. Talk about friendliness, the staff that I interacted the most gave me a feeling that she was doing me a favour rather than a service. Unlike Oliver and Dincer who were genuinely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed September 16, 2011

great minimal styling, very clean rooms,friendly and helpful staff. very closed to the central station in a [busy night-life] area but yet nothing threatening. Excellent value for money. City tourist center is just within walking distance. I would definitely choose this hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ARIA_11
New York, N.Y.
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We chose this hotel for its proximity to the central train station. No one cannot say it is not in a seedy part of town. But the hotel itself is great for what it is - cool design, nice sized rooms, helpful friendly staff and great breakfast - come hungry. And while the neighborhood leaves a lot to be desired unless you are looking for sleaze, it was not threatening. Moreover, within five minutes you are in central tourist Munich. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you need to be near the train station for a quick trip to the airport.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Hello

We went here based on the good reviews this hotel had. We called before we booked to verify if they would have parking for us. The reception said "yes" as if they reserved it for us. When we arrived they said the parking was all taken in the garage. This hotel is in a area where you would not want to leave your car on the street. Apparently you cannot reserve the parking there at all. It is only first come first serve so be wary if you bring your nice car. Unfortunately there are nude bars just a few building down from it. Those shady places seem to be around everywhere near downtown Munich. I can't blame the hotel for it. In the end we had to wait until someone left and took their spot in the garage. Because of this we also didn't use our car in the night. The hotel itself was exactly as described in the pictures. It is excellent value for the money. The kitchinette is really nice and fridge they give you is actually quite long and usefull. Our bathroom was a little small but everything was very clean and we had a good sleep. I would be hesitant to come here again with my car unless they allow people to reserve spots.

Room Tip: booking.com - best rate I found
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Ignore previous posts re hotel being in red-light district, we encountered no problems, and there were several single ladies also staying which infers safety.

Schiller 5 is very easy to access - out of station, aim for C and A across road on right, Schiller Strasse is there! Schiller 5 on the left side. Big hotel district so unlikely to be many problems anyway.

What sets hotel apart is a. the mini kitchen and kettle (still unusual in German hotels), b. being able to use the fridge contents in the room, and in the small lounge off the breakfast room without charge, c. free access to computer and printer, d. the superb choice at breakfast, e. central location and last but not least, f. the really attentive staff.

We could check in to the room earlier than 3 on arrival, and leave our luggage in the reception area safely without problem until late afternoon on departure. So convenient. And you can buy tickets in reception for the hop-on, hop-off Grays tours - thoroughly recommended, especially the Grand tour where you can view BMW museum and Olympic site.

Main recommendation? Explore the area around the hotel and you'll find great places to eat - plus Aldi and Lidl if you prefer to use the mini-kitchen. Would go back tomorrow, even this afternoon!

Room Tip: Ask when booking. We wanted a quiet room plus double bed - got them both.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple