“Great value for money!”
Review of Hotel Dolomit

Hotel Dolomit
Ranked #266 of 387 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The hotel is near the station and not in the best area, however, Munich is one of the safest cities in the world and didn't feel intimated or uncomfortable at all. Booked a double comfort room and although it was nicely decorated and clean it was small (room 317) and not like the pictures on the website size wise. We asked if we could move to one with a couch (triple room 419) and it was fantastic. Really easy to walk to the centre of town and having the station close was great for a cheap breakfast or snack and had a great little bar after a long day sightseeing. Brilliant little hotel with fantastic customer service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
MartinaKube, Online Marketing at Hotel Dolomit, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Vgils1,
thank you very much for your review. We are very happy to hear that you had a good time in our hotel and visited the best places in Munich. We would be delighted to welcome you in our house again for your next stay.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We have just come back from a short break to Munich and stayed at the Dolomit for 4 nights. It is in a great location just near the train station (hauptbanhof), to which Lufthansa run a bus transfer to and from evrry 20 mins. I think it was €34 return for two.

Firstly, I understand some of the bad reviews because in our experience the rooms can be hit and miss however, we found the staff to be nothing less than pleasant and helpful.

The first room we were allocated was 317, overlooking the main street and yes, it was small. Clean, but small. We thought it would be ok but decided to ask if we could change. They said we could the next day and allocated us room. This room also overlooks the street but was 300/400% better!

It is large with a separate little area with a comfy couch. this was handy as my wife tends to go to bed earlier than me so it was easy for me to watch tv without disturbing her :) Oh and by the way, the didn't charge us a penny (cent) more for this. It must depend how you deal with the staff, politeness (and a little german if you can try) goes a long way.

A good room makes so much of a difference to your experience of this hotel although I admit the street ones have a little street noise.

As some others have said, the area is less than salubrious but it doesn't really make any difference a\s people leave you alone. There is a Lidl round the corner for supplies and as I've said, the train station literally two minutes walk.

We never took the tube into Marienplatz as to walk it only take 15 minutes and builds you up nicely for the beer and pretzels you will no doubt consume!

The hotel has no bar but you can use the Best Western round the corner if you need to. It didn't make much difference to us as we had an aperitf in the station restaurant/bar which contrary to most British station bars, is most pleasant!

The hotel does have a little fridge area which sells beers, sandwiches and water and is reasonable priced. I didn't find €3.90 to bad for the wifi and it worked perfectly.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel but you may need to negotiate your room. Remember, if you are kind and polite, you might just get upgraded for nothing :)

Room Tip: Can only say try to avoid 317 and try and get 419! You can't generalise about a hotel's room...

Dear EssexGils,
thank you very much for your review. We have a protection against noise in every room, nevertheless the rooms aren’t completely still but you can sleep peacable. We would be delighted to welcome you again at our hotel.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed here as part of a trip in Europe and thought the stay was excellent. We stayed for three nights and decided to pay a little extra for the comfort room. Cannot fault the room, was clean, modern, spacious and perhaps most importantly the shower was great.

The location of the hotel is fantastic, only a 2minute walk from the hauptbahnhof. The area around the hotel is a little seedy but at no time did we feel unsafe.

The only one negative I would say about the hotel is the wifi was €4 a day and wasn't the best

• Stayed: October 2013
MartinaKube, Online Marketing at Hotel Dolomit, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Steeleboat87,
thank you very much for your feedback. That sounds like a great stay in Munich and in our hotel. It would be a pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Very nice people at the front desk. Didn't eat at the restaurant so can't rate that. We spent very little time in the room. Was perfect for our use. We did pay the extra to have a deluxe room, some in our party did not. They were cramped and wishing they had. I would stay again if going for Oktobefest, close location.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a deluxe, well worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear RitaOH,
thank you very much for your feedback. We hope you enjoyed your time in the Bavarian capital and in Hotel Dolomit. We would be delighted to welcome you again at our hotel.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Hotel Dolomit was by far one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had. I travel on average 2-3 times a month for business and pleasure throughout Europe. I stay in a wide range of hotels from 2-4 stars each time. Hotel Dolomit claimed it was was 3 stars online, 2 stars in reality and was worse than most hostels I stayed at when I backpacked through Europe after college.

Unfortunately due to Oktoberfest there were no other hotels available and I was forced to endure 4 nights at Hotel Dolomit.

Night 1-2: Dirty Room. Smallest 2 person room imaginable. The bed was slightly larger than a single and surrounded by walls on 3 sides such that it was impossible for one person to get up without rolling over the other. The shower curtain was moldy and falling off the wall. The shower temperature would shift from boiling hot to freezing cold without touching the dial.

We complained but I was only offered a smaller room that reeked so much of cigarette smoke I would swear there was a bar inside it.

On nights 3 and 4 we were given a new room at a higher price. This room was at least clean with a functional shower. It is the policy of Hotel Dolomit to charge you up front for your entire stay. So upon checkout we dropped off our key cards. For the record these keycards deactivated themselves 4 times in 4 days. Both people on all 4 occasions. When I dropped off the cards I was informed that the Hotel had decided to charge us for another night as they made a mistake in their original quote on the day we checked in. They claimed I owed another 240 euro for the pervious night.

Naturally I asked to see a manager. Mr. Alexander Knoll the "manager" was a very unpleasant and rude individual who accused my friend an I of trying to skip out on the bill. Refused to listen to the complaints we had with the hotel and demanded we pay the 240 euro despite the horrific stay. Of course we paid and went on our way. I sincerely hope that you will read this and learn from our mistake in staying at this hotel. Nearly 900 euro for 4 nights in the worst hotel of my life. For the record I paid 800 euro for 4 nights at a 4 star hotel on St. Marks Square in Venice during Carnival. Hotel Dolomit is a complete ripoff and a terrible place to stay.

Room Tip: Pay for the upgrade if you must stay here. Otherwise look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank NavyDudes
MartinaKube, Online Marketing at Hotel Dolomit, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear NavyDudes,
thank you very much for your feedback! There is no mention of being a 3 star hotel, it is actually a 2 star hotel in the middle of Munich. We want to apologize for the inconveniences in our hotel, but in our opinion the situation wasn’t as bad as you described it.
Nevertheless, we would be very glad to welcome you again in our hotel.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Hotel Dolomit is centrally located 2** hotel. Hotel is very close Karlsplatz, with U and S bahn you can go whereever you want. Also its very close to hauptbahnhof, besides the positive things the rooms are very close and you can hear everything in your neighbor rooms.
The staff is very friendly and helpful, you can get plenty of alternatives from them.
Last tip; try to get 20's or 21'st rooms of the floors - they are quite bigger then the others ;)
Cheers

Room Tip: Last tip; try to get 20's or 21'st rooms of the floors - they are quite bigger then the othe...

Dear Guiness M,
thank you very much for your rating. We hope you had a pleasant stay in our hotel and enjoyed your trip.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We visited Munich with 2 other couples and we booked this hotel together almost a year ago Since it was during the Oktoberfest time, we did expect the price would be much higher. The price that we paid for this 2 stars hotel was more than 3 times of the average price. It was located in a very convenient location but not a very nice area. Down the block, there are casinos, topless bar, and more casinos. However it is very close to the main train station. When we were there, we were assigned 3 rooms. My room was very small but clean. However one of my friend's room was very small and old and not pleasant. My other friend's room was much bigger and nicer. My friend was very upset with the arrangement because we paid the same price. The front desk lady said that they made a mistake to put my other friends in a bigger room. Secondly, we paid such an extremely high price for the room, there was no free wifi, no fridge. The facilities were very poor. I would rate it only a one star hotel. The reception area is so small and the front desk people were not friendly and helpful. Since one couple didn't want anyone to go into their room, the hotel would pay them a 5 euro coupon back to buy drinks. Also our other couple's washroom stink. We won't go again and advise people don't book for this hotel. Another rediculous thing was we had to pay all 4 nights room fees when we checked in. Since we booked this hotel at a higher rate so that we can cancel our booking. Usually the hotel won't charge us until the last day. I think this hotel is a rip off. Don't go.

Room Tip: No good at all
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MaFamily09

Dear MaFamily09,
thank you very much for your review. We are very sorry for the inconveniences in our hotel. But in our opinion the situation wasn’t as bad as you described it. And we are very sorry but we can’t change the area around our hotel. We think that in nearly every city are such areas around the main train station. But it is very safe and there are lots different people around and you don’t have to be scared when you are out at night. Nevertheless, we would be very happy to welcome you again at our hotel.