“Good value”
Review of Wombat's Munich

Wombat's Munich
Ranked #2 of 79 Specialty Lodging in Munich
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had a super early flight so wanted a one-night stay close to the train station, and this location was perfect! Just needed a clean bed and warm shower, no frills needed nor expected.

We rented an 8 bed ensuite and had no problems. Front desk was crowded but everyone waited their turn. We were early so put our luggage in the luggage room; everything was ready when we returned.

Clean room, clean sheets, clean shower, plenty of hot water!

Neighborhood was OK, but I always assume hostels near train stations are not in the best of areas. Not terrible, just OK.

All in all, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,177)

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I loved my stay here.

Having had some rather mundane hostel experiences on this particular trip the lively atmosphere of Wombat's was a breath of fresh-air. The location is ideal for exploring central Munich and the hostel itself is very well thought-out: the bed was comfortable, the bathroom clean and the communal areas well looked after.

I really liked the gap between bar and rooms (I had no problem getting to sleep) and the morning breakfast was very reasonable. I would highly recommend staying here (even for a solo traveller) and will certainly visit again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are likely to be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had to rejig our plans due to the floods in Germany & Austria and landed up in Munich without any bookings. We tried our luck at Wombats and were lucky to get an ensuite room for 3 nights. The location is just perfect. Right next to the central station and easy walking distance to the city centre. The rooms are basic and bathrooms small ... but its a hostel and one of the cheapest accomodation we could find at a time when there was a large trade fair in Munich. The staff at reception was quite helpful. Had problems with the shower but got that sorted out. Wifi is only available in the lobby. Supermarkets, eating joints beer gardens are all within easy walking distance so that was the best part,

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I honestly was super excited to stay in Wombat's in Munich due to the great reviews and we booked 4 nights there. I was really disappointed. Perhaps because I was really lucky to have stayed at really nice hostels during this trip, it was seriously the worst hostel I stayed at during my whole 3-week trip.

Good:
-Nice bar
-Pretty good breakfast at 3.8 Euros
-Nice cleaning staff
-Close to the train station
-Giant rooms
-Clean

Bad:
-Some (not all) of the front desk staff think they are too cool for school and are extremely rude
-Noise level is ridiculous at night even with the windows shut (street and people from the hostel)
-Showers' drainage were clogged (Partly our fault because we didn't say anything due to our experiences with the rude front desk staff. It was so clogged that water flowed out of the shower area. I really didn't enjoy doing acrobats every time I shower.)
-No internet in the rooms (Their reason? People won't Skype with their mom at 2AM and so people can socialize. I rather politely ask my roommates to stop Skyping than stand in the commons area in the cold during the middle of the night. Also, no one is socializing because they are all downstairs surfing the web with their phones/iPads! The common area basically is unusable as a social area because it's stuffed with people trying to use internet. The internet was also extremely spotty and slow.)
-Lastly, it was just too big and impersonal. It was hard to meet anyone unless you hang out at the bar.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Basic rooms, basic shower, minimal furniture and fittings. That's because its a hostel, more importantly, clean, warm, secure, affordable and ideal place to stay whether you are young or old but don`t expect a suite at the Ritz.

Great communal areas, good staff with a lively bar (sorry about Mr Lurky, but you were great with him).

Would recommend staying here if hosteling is your thing, or even if it isn't.

Wi-Fi isn`t great, but there`s a big world to explore, see it for real rather than on a little screen.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I backpacked through Vienna and Budapest last summer, staying at Wombats hostels and was really impressed by them. Even though there were some hotels on booking websites at a similar price to a Double en-suite at the Wombats, I chose the Wombats based on my prior experience with the chain.

The common areas are lovely, the front desk staff very helpful, and like the other hostels, the breakfast was good value and delicious.

However we didn't think it was to the standard of the other Wombats we've stayed in. Even though we'd paid over the odds to have a room with an en-suite, we had absolutely no hot water for a shower - and it was a very cold and rainy day so not a good start to our day.

I found the corridors so be particularly noisy (building design flaw as the noise of doors closing really traveled, as did quiet talking)

Even though the hostel appears to have won some awards for being really clean, we had an awful smell coming from our en-suite at a couple of points and the bed sheets looked quite grotty too. I'm sure they were washed, but perhaps they're just in need of new ones?

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Caroline K
Reviewed May 29, 2013

There is everything you need for a good hostel. Clean, simple, comfortable, friendly, free wi-fi. Every morning there are free guided tours (english language). On the ground floor there is a bar where the parties are organized. But the noise is not audible in the room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple