Our experience with the Meninger 'Hotel' was far from ideal. We stayed one night here upon arrival to Munich before heading to Salzburg for 3 days and then returned for a further 2 nights. If it wasnt for the fact that the hostel took the full amount upon booking we would most definitely not have returned. This was the first of of many issues we had with the Meninger hostel. When I emailed the hostel regarding all payment being taken they said it was in the small print underneath, which was acceptable but quite deceiving. Our first night was spent in an 8 bed dorm where we slept for no more than 3 hours with the noise of the traffic outside and in the room. Before we left I requested a quiet room for our return that didnt face the road. I found the staff extremely rude and inconsiderate towards my request and they basically laughed in my face - extremely unprofessional.
However, it was when we returned for our further 2 nights that the issues really began. This time we had booked a 4 bed private dorm. On arrival we were informed rather bluntly by yet another unprofessional member of staff that we had been changed to 2 double rooms. As we were travelling as a party of 4 we had booked that room because it is the room we wanted. Something which I think the Meninger hostel couldnt comprehend! We were even more frustrated when we saw our rooms - they were literally in the 'dungeon' of the hostel. Our room could only have been compared to that of a prison cell and freezing cold.
Following dinner in the city that night, we returned to a scene from Greys Anatomy in the lobby. An ambulance had been called for a young girl who had become completely uncapacitated from alcohol. The hostel staff were absolutely disgraceful and just left the girl lying there and continued about their work as if this was completely normal.
All in all, our entire experience with the Meninger hostel was extremely unpleasant. Poor location, unprofessional staff and less than average rooms - stay away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Weisswurst, pork knuckles, football and a large beer - welcome to Munich! The MEININGER Hotel Munchen City Center is located centrally - 2.5 Km from the main railway station - opposite the Augustiner Braustuben and next to the Theresienwiese that hosts the biggest fair in the world, the Oktoberfest. MEININGER offers more than just low-cost accommodation: free WiFi, lobby, hotel bar, guest kitchen and games room where you can meet our international guests in a relaxed atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, HostelWorld, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and Hotel.de so you can book your MEININGER Hotel Munich City Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Meininger City Hotel Munich
- Meininger City Hostel And Hotel