“A pleasant stay after a shaky start but don't get me started on the aircon”

Novotel Munich City
Ranked #53 of 383 Hotels in Munich
UK
“A pleasant stay after a shaky start but don't get me started on the aircon”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I'll start with the few negatives and end with the positives as our stay was above average but not quite "very good". Firstly we had to wait for our room to be ready when we arrived after a long drive. The room should have been ready from 15:00 but we had to wait until 15:45. Not the end of the world but annoying. However, my biggest bone of contention was with the air con which was woefully inadequate. We were at the far end of the building so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it but the air con was worse than useless leaving the room very hot and stuffy. Fortunately we overlooked a quiet part of the hotel and left the window wide open all night so that made things far more pleasant. The last "niggle" was the bathroom which was very odd. Normally with Novotels, the bathroom door is on the left or right when entering the room. This makes for a decent sized bathroom but normally means that to have a shower, you need to stand in the bath which has a shower screen. This Novotel has the bathroom door open into the room itself which means the bathroom doors hit the bed when you open them. The reason for this, I think, is so that bathroom can have a proper standup shower cubicle as well as a bath. This, however, makes the bathroom feel cramped and not particularly private (the doors do have frosted glass so don't panic). You also have to squeeze between the bed and the wall to get into the bathroom which can become annoying. As I say, just a niggle and a personal preference as there will be people who prefer this layout.

On the positive side, the staff were friendly and helpful both at the front desk and in the breakfast area. The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice. The pool was a decent size for us to have a swim and for the kids to burn off some energy. The hotel is in a good location, especially for us as we chose to eat in the area around the hotel rather than go into the old town. There is a HIT supermarket a few minutes walk to stock up on a few essentials. It is also only a few minutes from the transport links. On the whole, I would recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Clint_Swagger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with work last week but unfortunately the main goal of the hotel was missed as the noise from the bathroom meant I had 3 nights of little sleep. Staff came to my request for help to turn off the fan above the shower promptly but either were misinformed or skating over the reality that the ventilation system does not turn off. Meaning the howling wind noise is constant through your nights sleep (if you get that far). They said it should turn off when the switch is off (10 mins approx. after) but no, then tried to reset the system but of course didn't work. They finally moved my room me thinking it was a room specific issue but no same problem there as is a structural issue with the hotel. This hotel is not on my company's recommended list but I wanted good location with a pool for my morning swim and the Sheraton was being refurbed so I took a chance, regretted that fast. Fruit at breakfast was brown and soft but rest good (fry up and ham & cheese selections were good). Woman who checked me in was very rude with a bad attitude on the reception, also would not look at me when talking to me which was impolite. Set the stay off to a bad start. Majority of staff appeared very young and inexperienced with mixed knowledge of English which is expected in a 4 star hotel, could work on their people skills.

Room Tip: I would only recommend those who could sleep through a tornado to stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank englishroseincork
Scotland
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights at the end of August 2013. Located in a quiet street near the River and a few hundred yards from Rosenheimer Platz S-Bahn station which has a direct link with the airport. Two or three restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and the hotel has one which was high quality but at 4 star hotel prices. Overall a nice hotel with friendly and efficient staff. Couple of cons to the overall positive perspective- breakfast was not included in our rate but we didn't realise this until we checked in and secondly they charged for wi-fi which is somehow like charging for the electricity the hairdryer uses i.e. not what you expect of a hotel of this class. However would recommend this hotel as a good base for a to visit the City.

Room Tip: Can't see noise being an issue in any of the rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ayrshire2
Bucharest
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I traveled with my family in June.
We selected this hotel based on the travel agency recommendation and it proved to be a good one.
The hotel is located near the center of Munich. The metro station is 3 minutes walk, giving you access to the other locations in the city.
The hotel is clean, the breakfast is great, the staff is excellent. The only downfall of this hotel is the size of the room, which we founded a bit to small.
I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The only thing missing from this hotel is an additional star, it should be five stars. We had four great days in the Novotel Munich. The hotel is immaculately clean, staff are courteous and well trained. We had a really enjoyable stay at the hotel.

We were leaving on the night sleeper to Venice and had left our luggage with reception, after a long hot day we needed to freshen up. The reception staff allowed us access to the pool changing rooms, where we showered and changed, it was heaven!

The breakfast was excellent and staff very attentive particularly Sarah(?) who runs a very efficient restaurant. Would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends, the transport links are super also the Sbhan station is just around the corner.

The hotel was extremely busy during our stay, as a result the staff had their work cut out for them. However they coped professionally and kept the place ship shape. Thanks to all the staff and Management at the Novotel Munich for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Weatherman07
Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I really liked this hotel. It's in a good location and quite close to a subway station. From there it's two stops right into the heart of Munich. I don't think we ever had to wait more than two minutes for a train. You can take a short cut by going through the Swallow Hotel next door
Breakfast was excellent with a fantastic range and variety.
We didn't use the pool
I do object to the exorbitant charge for wi fi - ridiculous really. If you go to a bar at the bottom of the street you can pick up free wi fi from the big complex across the road

• Stayed August 2013